Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 11:20 AM

12,036 posts, read 6,565,777 times

Advertisements

We are considering retiring and moving to Lexington. We love the town and rural areas with so much to do and see for a small town.

But we are concerned about the Red Hen Restaurant incident where the owner rudely kicked out Sarah Huckabee Sanders and her eight friends because she worked for Trump. She and her employees rudely told Sanders she was immoral and asked her to leave, which Sara politely did.

Is Lexington an angry intolerant liberal town with those kind of bigots there, or was this a very isolated incident?
Does the rest of Lexington businesses support this behavior? We know RE agents won’t tell us the truth about all this, so asking any residents of Lexington area for their feedback.

We are Independents and don’t want to live in an extremist political environment left or rightwing —especially now with all the protesting and rioting.
We lived in Asheville NC which is VERY liberal, but everyone is friendly, tolerant, and not extreme, hostile or politically angry. So hoping this was not something the town of Lexington supports.
Thanks for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 02:44 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,239,065 times
The town is liberal, mostly and the county is strongly republican. We live north of Lexington in the valley but we were in town this day when this happened. We were staying the night in a local hotel for our anniversary. We ate out in town but we visited an antique shop before dinner. Turns out the owner and I had a common interest with our former jobs which tends to be filled with those leaning right. The Red Hen incident from that day came up and this owner said he loved the Red Hen but would never step foot in there again. Same as his wife. The Red Hen survived obviously but they apparently still get hate mail as a result. I only bring this up as there are plenty of conservatives in the town but more liberals. But in reality the town is fairly quiet politically although the town council just voted recently to change the name of the Stonewall Jackson cemetery. I do not think you'll have an issue there but obviously check it out a little closer.

Old 08-06-2020, 04:25 PM

12,036 posts, read 6,565,777 times
Thank you Bigfoot for your response.
It is sad for a whole town when there is aggressive rude bigotry like the Red Hen displayed.
Twice now when I’ve talked to people about moving to Lexington it has been brought up. So I feel bad for the town having that happen to its reputation, but glad it’s not indicative of most of the people there.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:21 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times
I’ve stopped in Lexington several times on travels this summer. While the town itself may lean left, it is not far left IMO, and the surrounding rural areas are like elsewhere in Appalachia.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:57 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,032 times
If you were happy in Asheville, I think you will be happy in Lexington It's not Berkeley LOL!

Lexington can be a magnet for discussions and debates due to traditions associated with the two colleges there.

But no...it's not extremist

Old 08-07-2020, 09:32 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,477 times
Even though Lexington has it's Liberals the Red Hen incident put a big black eye on the town.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:48 AM

Over 60% of Lexington went for Hillary in 2016 while over 70% went for Trump in the surrounding county. Pretty big disparity. But I would not let that scare you away. I think you'll be fine there but you'll see the Confederate flags around and you'll see the Biden/Bernie signs and so on around as well as Trump's. (Bernie's being left over) Go into someplace downtown like the Red Hen and start bragging about Trump you may hear some blowback and go into a BBQ joint in the county and start bragging about Obama then expect some blowback. But it really is a nice area and the people friendly.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:38 AM

27 posts, read 29,081 times
I second everything Bigfoot424 said

Old 08-07-2020, 05:29 PM

235 posts, read 115,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thank you Bigfoot for your response.
It is sad for a whole town when there is aggressive rude bigotry like the Red Hen displayed.
Twice now when I’ve talked to people about moving to Lexington it has been brought up. So I feel bad for the town having that happen to its reputation, but glad it’s not indicative of most of the people there.
If the business owner disagreed with her politics and didn’t think he or she could serve her then that’s not bigotry.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nva06 View Post
If the business owner disagreed with her politics and didn’t think he or she could serve her then that’s not bigotry.

Maybe not but it was a horrible business move. While she may not have suffered, if the media is to be believed, she turned off a sizable number of people which makes no sense considering the business she is in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia