U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 10:23 PM

33 posts, read 60,202 times

Advertisements

My husband are I are considering retirement in Virginia. We are in our mid 50's. We'd like to make a trip next year to explore some options and hoping you might suggest some options. We're looking for:

Smaller, quaint/historic town with good economy.
Close to fishing, hunting, and golf.
Not a huge drive to a major airport and good medical facilities.
No snow, or very little snow.
Not coastal.
Safe.
We would be looking for a home $400k or less.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 02:22 AM

7,287 posts, read 12,062,574 times
Your snow requirement makes things tougher. Do you want to be in the areas of mountains such as the Shenandoah Valley? Snow is so hit or miss in VA but at times there will be some good snows. In or near Charlottesville will put you near great medical care. Not a major airport but a decent one.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:22 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,572,893 times
Purcellville VA. Founded before 1800.

Small easy-going town less than an hour's drive to Dulles Airport. Surrounded by farms and vineyards. Decent hopitals. Near Appalachian foothills with lots of hunting opportunities and some mountain stream fishing opportunities. Purcellville is technically within Northern Virginia but with much lower real estate prices than most of the area. Very safe. Multiple golf courses nearby. Was really snowy years ago but not so much so now that winters are warmer. Multiple homes are available for less than 400K.

See City Data statistics http://www.city-data.com/city/Purcel...-Virginia.html

Old 10-09-2020, 02:58 PM

418 posts, read 1,112,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post

Small easy-going town less than an hour's drive to Dulles Airport. Surrounded by farms and vineyards. Decent hopitals. Near Appalachian foothills with lots of hunting opportunities and some mountain stream fishing opportunities. Purcellville is technically within Northern Virginia but with much lower real estate prices than most of the area. Very safe. Multiple golf courses nearby. Was really snowy years ago but not so much so now that winters are warmer. Multiple homes are available for less than 400K.

See City Data statistics http:////www.city-data.com/city/Purc...-Virginia.html
Are there public hunting areas around Purcellville? To my knowledge, it's all private land. So the OP will need to gain access to private land, lease hunting property or join a club that leases hunting property?

Old 10-09-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
Are there public hunting areas around Purcellville? To my knowledge, it's all private land. So the OP will need to gain access to private land, lease hunting property or join a club that leases hunting property?
No.

Yes.

https://patch.com/virginia/ashburn/a...loudoun-county

The only hunting club I am aware of is for whitetail bow hunting, but there may be others. http://www.deerdamage.org/

But, public hunting lands are not very far away from Purcellville. Monocacy Natural Resource area, for example. https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands...ocacy_map.aspx

The hunters that I used to know preferred to hunt in WV which is somewhat less surrounded by urban areas. There's Short Mountain, for example. There is a private game reserve near Romney WV that is supposed to be very good. https://thelexingtonhuntclub.com/

Last edited by ersatz; 10-09-2020 at 05:37 PM..

Old 10-09-2020, 07:09 PM

933 posts, read 430,585 times
Some questions, OP:
- Where are you coming from? (In general.... the culture varies across VA, and you may fit in better in one part of VA vs another.)
- What kind of fishing? Lake fishing?

- How much is 'not too much' snow? Have a reference of comparison?
- How do you feel about summer temps in the 90's with 95% humidity? (South Central VA is going to be like that in summer.)
- By 'good economy', do you mean 'growing and rich', or is 'steady and stable' more important to you?

Old 10-09-2020, 07:25 PM

4,477 posts, read 6,030,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post

See City Data statistics http:////www.city-data.com/city/Purc...-Virginia.html
Lived there for 17 years — it definitely gets snow, sometimes LOTS of snow.

Good luck finding a nice sfh under $400k. We sold three years ago for over $520 with houses in that neighborhood (Kingsbridge) now hitting the low $600s. Taxes are still pretty high and there’s really very little to do in Purcellville, especially as retirees. You have to drive to Leesburg/Ashburn or west to Winchester for just about everything.

Lakes? Not that I know of. Golf courses? Two country clubs close by.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:03 AM

11,029 posts, read 8,968,022 times
I would probably pick Charlottesville, Lynchburg, or Smith Mountain Lake, and the first two would get preference for someone who's going to continue working. Might also look at Lansdowne near Dulles and Leesburg for active adult communities. It used to be called Leisure World.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:43 AM

4,477 posts, read 6,030,104 times
If we had stayed in Virginia for retirement, obviously Lynchburg would be high on our list, as would Winchester. Both nice communities with lovely people, reasonable taxes, entertainment etc.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Good luck finding a nice sfh under $400k. We sold three years ago for over $520 with houses in that neighborhood (Kingsbridge) now hitting the low $600s. Taxes are still pretty high and there’s really very little to do in Purcellville, especially as retirees. You have to drive to Leesburg/Ashburn or west to Winchester for just about everything.
We all tend to answer these type of questions considering what we would personally prefer. We don't know exactly what the OP is looking for as far as "how small a town" and "what kind of house".

If you look at Purcellville realty data from this past year, there were lots of single family homes selling for 400K and under. I ran a quick search on Realtor.com for this past year and found 29 of them (remember that Purcellville is a small town when compared to places like Leesburg.)

If your particular little slice of heaven is a recent developer tract 3000 sq ft McMansion overseen by an HOA, then, yeah, those tend to be pricier. I am unfamiliar with the Kingsbridge neighborhood, but here's what (a competitor site to CD) said about it:
Homes in Kingsbridge Manor are on the market for an average of 72 days and are typically purchased at close to asking price. Property taxes hover around $4,431 per year, and homeowners' association fees are approximately $11. On average, homes here are $164 per square foot and typically list for around $390,000.
Now, I personally would be more interested in something like this, and throw the money saved into upgrades to tailor the property more to my personal taste, assuming that the property did not need extensive repairs.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-96281#photo15

I lived in the area years and am a proud grad of Loudoun Valley High School cough years ago. Snows back then were rough, but after the Snowmageddon of 2009-2010 were really not bad for Northern Virginia. Worse than snows in Charleston SC, hardly noticeable if you are used to Rochester NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
I would probably pick Charlottesville, Lynchburg, or Smith Mountain Lake, and the first two would get preference for someone who's going to continue working. Might also look at Lansdowne near Dulles and Leesburg for active adult communities. It used to be called Leisure World.
I like those areas but they are hardly what I would call close to a major airport. Sure there are municipal airports in in these areas, but if you want to fly internationally or cross-country, you will need to travel to a bigger city airport. Landsdowne and Leesburg are not small towns, and they are within greater WashDC suburbia. Leesburg can be considered "quaint and historic" as requested, but I would hardly put Landsdowne in that category. It seems to me that the OP is looking for something smaller and a bit more rural. If I were looking in the Shenandoah Valley then I would be most likely to pick the small college towns of either Staunton or Blacksburg. They both hit the sweet spot in terms of charm, history, proximity to natural areas offering hunting, fishing, hiking, and cultural opportunities such as restaurants, small shops, and cultural events connected with the colleges. They are more affordable than closer in to a metro area. Both would require several hours to get to the airport in Richmond or the major airport Dulles.

Xpress4 - I see that you are casting a wide net on CD asking the same question in multiple state forums. You will get much specifically-useful-to-you replies if you provide followup details to the questions various posters have asked you in the different forums. City-Data has a lot more to offer than just the forums. If you want to research information such as snowfall, economy, medical care, etc. dig around in the main City-Data.com website. That will let you research statistics specific to city, town, village and sometimes neighborhoods. The info might be a little dated but will more or less let you compare locations on a near equitable basis if you do the research. Good luck to you and your hubby and I hope you will enjoy moving back East.

Last edited by ersatz; 10-10-2020 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia