U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 06:49 AM

4 posts, read 28,452 times

Advertisements

Hello There- I am a frustrated high school special ed teacher looking to get out of teaching in the next year or so. I am looking for a new environment, I am in Central Ohio where the primary things to do are shop and watch sports, neither of which are enjoyable to me. I am looking to move to a downtown area that is relatively safe with an emphasis on the arts or at least some art galleries/ working artists nearby, and near a university. I am considering Covington Ky and Old Louisville, also Paducah Ky and recently found info on the Riverviews Art Space in Lynchburg. I have read so much about L'burg being nothing but NASCAR lovers etc but if this is so, how is something like the Riverviews Art Space happening? I would be happy with a simple job that could pay the rent until my retirement kicks in - it would be about 3 years before that would happen. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about downtown Lynchburg revitalization- is it "relatively safe" as in could I walk my dog at night, anyone actually living downtown? Any artists out there? I am creative and artsy and I just enjoy this atmosphere. Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:45 PM

925 posts, read 2,137,662 times
Several new loft apartment buildings have been added to downtown as well as a new hotel. I think you'll be fine. City Market lofts has large units for decent rents and is well located. I plan to retire there myself in four years and already own property which has been fun so far. I think you would be getting in on the ground floor of a newly emerging art and music scene.

The Landmark Group - Lofts for Rent

Lofty living | Lynchburg News Advance

Old 05-04-2008, 09:26 AM

Thanks! Although I read so much negative about Lynchburg on the forum and elsewhere- it sounds like exciting things are starting to happen to the downtown area. Is it really so hard to find a job? That seems to be another negative that I have read on the forums.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:03 AM

I'd say it's not easy. There are lots of jobs in retail and outdoor work (landscaping and construction) and those are not hard to get. Better jobs are harder to come by and take time. It took my wife over 6 months to find a job as a medical assistant. Back in Seattle she had three offers in a week for nearly twice the pay. It really helps to know somebody.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 AM

506 posts, read 1,268,146 times
I could probably go on an on about Lynchburg. We all view life and our surroundings differently. I wish I had never put my foot in this dump. Badger74 seems to like it and obviously others do too. Lynchburg makes me feel depressed, down and I start to ponder if I really am a worthless person, so it is fitting I live in a place like this.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 PM

I thought you left or was that the other complainer?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 PM

48 posts, read 170,185 times
I've spent too much of my life in L-burg. My grandmother is still there. It's a hole. If you're not one of "Jerry's Kids," don't bother. Especially if you're an artist. The gods know they need them, but it's definitely not a place for the artist in you.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:42 AM

506 posts, read 1,268,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
I thought you left or was that the other complainer?
Sadly, I am still here.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:41 AM

You mean like this?

Welcome to Riverviews Artspace - Official Web Site

Or this

The Historic Villa of Kriselea in Lynchburg Va - Weddings and Special Events (http://villaofkriselea.dulwich-manor.com/about-villaofkriselea.html - broken link)

I met the owner of the Villa on my last visit a few weeks ago. He just bought several more buildings and plans to turn them into art facilities and sell or lease them to art groups.

New owner of former Jones Memorial Library plans to restore landmark | Lynchburg News Advance

Old 05-09-2008, 04:33 PM

Well, I am rather left leaning but I am very used to living in an area that isn't. I also am not aspiring to live in a MacMansion or have a high stress (high paying) job. I am looking to simplify and live reasonably in an atmosphere of some art, some natural beauty and some relaxation. I saw in a post about Lynchburg that it is 50% ghetto- somehow I doubt that my definition of ghetto (an abundance of deep poverty, drugs,prostitution etc) fits what it might seem to be in Lynchburg - a modest middle-low income owner-occupied area - this doesn't seem like a real ghetto to me. Since I am a high school teacher in a suburb of a large city I am pretty used to the "gangster wannabe" culture of today's teenagers. They look bad but most really aren't. Does anyone think that this is what may have been referred to? Modest income homes with some teenagers that look like little gangster wannabes? Does it seem like even the modest-low income houses are pretty well taken care of? Is there some pride of community? I have a rather limited travel budget right now and am trying to get local info on several locations. Then I will pick my top 3 or 4 and come for a visit!
Thanks to Badger for the most positive view- can the others be more specific? What is it that depresses you and makes you feel down in L'burg? I don't want to end up feeling that way too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia