Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:48 AM

12 posts, read 51,071 times

Advertisements

I've been living here for 3 years, and I can't believe the cost of rentals/houses. My hubby does HVAC and he took at huge pay cut when we moved from Ohio. There is something seriously wrong with this state. How does everyone afford to live in VA.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 03:01 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,382 times
Smile Va. overpriced?

Kathy, I am sorry you are having a tough time here in Va. I feel that the northern part of the state is overpriced (is this where you are?) and I could never dream of living there with what I make (approx. $30k a year). I grew up in Richmond but the cost of living in the Roanoke Valley area is what ultimatly made me decide to move here. Some area of Va. is a lot less expensive than others. I have a very nice one bedroom in a super neighborhood with all utilities included for $510 a month (and that is considered expensive here!!). I live very comfortably here. Best of luck to you!!! -J.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat17 View Post
I've been living here for 3 years, and I can't believe the cost of rentals/houses. My hubby does HVAC and he took at huge pay cut when we moved from Ohio. There is something seriously wrong with this state. How does everyone afford to live in VA.

Kathy

Old 03-17-2008, 03:42 PM

5,340 posts, read 4,428,220 times
Quote:

Kathy
Kathy, Teebyrd86 is right. It all depends where you live and who your employer is. I had a friend that moved to Hampton Roads from New Jersey and he was surprised to find that he got a $7 an hour pay iincrease. He also is an HVAC mechanic. I lived there (Gloucester) quite well for 15 years and when I left I was making 38,000. as a teacher. I owned a brick 3 bed 2 bath ranch on an acre less than a mile from the York River.
I had 2 kids and no husband and we did very well on my salary.
now I live in Michigan and can't wait to get back to VA. I made more and the COL was much less.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:06 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,659,978 times
Quote:

Kathy
hey Kathy...
did you folks know that he would be taking a pay cut prior to relo'ing from OH?
And like Teebyrd asked...where are you located in VA?

Old 03-17-2008, 06:25 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,810 times
We have been in Hampton Roads for 3 years now and we're getting to the point where we cant afford to live here much longer. Our raises are barely keeping up with our rising health insurance costs plus our rising mortgage payment due to increased taxes (we have a fixed rate). Plus they want to add on all this transportation tax, not to mention our insance property tax that we have to pay every 6 months to own our vehicles. Its just awful. We're staying to get done with school and then moving out of state.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:53 AM

168 posts, read 841,004 times
To re-iterate what everyone else is saying: It depends on where in VA. VA is very diverse! We recently looked at homes and towns from Wythe all the way up past Winchester....and the diversity in pricing was amazing.
In general,...forget NOVA...very $$$. Otherwise,..where the heck are you talking about?

I am curious too about one thing,.....in alot of the extreme rural and mountain areas there are homes and such that must cost a fortune,...yet no real economy to speak of, I wonder what 'those' people do to afford a million dollar home in the middle of nowhere?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:25 AM

183 posts, read 753,043 times
Kat 17

Let us know hwere you are. My husband is in construction too and it can be very trying. It's a rough industry to be in especially now in these "Challenging Times" as our idiot President puts it.

Dr Jim,

Those multi-million dollar homes in Southwest VA are being built by folks who have already made their money. They either retire here or use those homes as their weekend retreat. They are coming up from Charlotte and Greensboro/Winston.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:38 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,638 times
I lived in NoVa for 41 years before the cost of living/taxes pushed me out. I owned my home then as a single parent, but there was NO WAY I could afford to live there anymore. 4 years ago I moved to Hampton Roads. Fortunately my husbands family was here and I knew the area well. I decided NOT to buy a house again because I was worried about the housing market and refused to overpay for a home - and that was 4 years ago!

So I am still renting and we are managing just fine. For me at least, owning a home just was too costly for me - taxes etc and the costs that fluctuate like repairs, insurance. My rent now for a SFH with a big yard is $600 less than I paid in NoVa for a TH.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 AM

624 posts, read 1,161,511 times
Kat17

The area I live in is rated 25% lower Nationally in terms of the cost of living, based on overall things such as rent,food,transportation,etc. I live in south central va, about 20 miles from the NC border, and need only to go up to places like Charlottesville to see a price increase on things.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:04 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamtncat View Post
Kat 17

Dr Jim,

Those multi-million dollar homes in Southwest VA are being built by folks who have already made their money. They either retire here or use those homes as their weekend retreat. They are coming up from Charlotte and Greensboro/Winston.
Ha, yes, there's nothing Charlotte people like better than more, bigger, newer homes. All over the place. How many places does someone need to have to park their butt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia