U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:43 AM

13 posts, read 56,789 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Leslie and my husband and I are seriously thinking about a move to Hburg area. I've read all the recent posts but would like to know more... we are in our late 20s, with 2 sons, ages 3.5 and 2. We plan on having more children and homeschooling them all. DH will work (hopefully) on the south-east end of Hburg. We don't want to live in town at all, preferbably we'd like to be in the country or moutains. How long of a commute is it to Hburg from a mountain area? We are coming from Northern Indiana and are tired of living in redneck areas... we are conservative people but don't want to live next door to hillbillies. What country-mountain areas are less hill-billy prone??
What are taxes like there? Is there a certain county or area that is lower cost of living than another? How long does it take to get to D.C. or Virginia Beach? Oh and I'm a dessert lover, so bring on the pies, cakes, and whatever else you have.
Thanks,
Leslie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 09:36 PM

531 posts, read 1,585,729 times
Harrisonburg is a nice area. I don't live there,but have spent much time in the region. It is near the Blue Ridge Parkway and very near the mountains. It has an educated population due to 3 universities in the area, James Madison University, Eastern Mennonite College and Bridgewater college. Lots of lovely farm land. The Virginia Beach is probably at least 2-3 hours drive--eastern Virginia. I would say the area leans toward conservative. Don't know about the taxes.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:01 AM

168 posts, read 772,637 times
I have a place in Elkton, which is a very, very small...."old" and conservative town.
It sits at the base of the mountains, about 25minutes east of Hburg.

We looked for 6 months north and south all along the Blueridge before deciding on this area.
In ANY of the small Va towns you will have 'some' rednecks, some 'salt of the earth' and some 'bible toting types'.....but, really,...anywhere you move in general will have a variety of people.

Just north of Elkton is Shenandoah,...also small and close enough to Hburg.
South of Elkton, there are areas to live, and eventually (maybe 25minutes) you enter Waynesboro.

The general route I am describing is rt 340 which runs at the base of the mountains north-south. A lovely, 2 lane, scenic rd that pases through many small towns.
But, keep in mind that going to far north or south will increase your distance to Hburg.

In Elkton, taxes are cheap! (Wish I knew the exact number of the top of my head, but I dont...I just know it is super cheap compared to Mi). Property, again,..in my opinion is cheap. A nice old 2000sqft house on 5 acres might be around 200K.
Mountain homes and 'Massenutten (a resort area nearby) can get pricier.

Any more questions,...just ask.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:32 PM

Thanks for your responses!! We are coming from Indiana, one of the cheapest places in my opinion, so I know anywhere else will cost more. I was looking at some of the data on Harrisonburg... it said that about 30% of the people there live below the poverty level?! What's up with that? The town closest to us here in Indiana is very run down, this whole area in general has lots of mobile homes, lots of redneck type people. I know living in the country there'll be that but are there any nicer country areas that have nicer homes? Scenery-wise, the whole area sounds lovely. I can't get John Denver's 'Country Roads' out of my head... what are things that you absolutely love about the place? Things you wish would improve?
Glad to hear taxes aren't bad... thanks again

leslie

Old 05-16-2008, 05:59 AM

Poverty level? Whats up with that? Not sure where that data comes from. Especially since Hburg itself, has alot of high priced homes. I dont know the specifics on that data, but driving around hburg and such, you will not feel like there is a poverty level.
And keep in mind, I would not suggest moving to Hburg anyway, let it serve as your shopping source and live in some of the surrounding areas. Hburg is new, sparkling, tons of traffic and every store/restaurant you could imagine. Quite nice in a 'commercial' sort of way. Plus ofcourse JMU is there as well.

Look at the surrounding areas,...Elkton, Shenandoah, Waynesboro, Staunton, and alot of the other little rural towns within 30min of Hburg.

I love the wilderness and mountains. All the hiking and the fact that Shenandoah Natl does not allow hunting,...which makes it much safer for backcountry camping/exploring.
The GW forest is near enough for hunting and even more primitive exploring.
The whole area is 'rural'.

Nice country areas that have nicer homes?
You just dont understand I think. There are few, few trailer parks...and the ones I have seen are quite nice, with salt of the earth people.
You can be driving down a road with some 100 year old farmhouses, and then there will be a subdivision with 600-800K homes in it. There is PLENTY of nice.
The area really has it all IMHO. You want old, rustic farm? Got it. You want mountain retreat in the middle of the woods? Got it. You want 'new' normal, sheeple subdivision? Got it. What do you want?
In all the times I have been in small 'scary' looking mini-marts and po-dunk looking gas stations I have never had anyone be anything but 'good ol country nice'.

I think you need to just go there, look around and drive 340 north and south from Luray down to Waynesboro.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:17 AM

96 posts, read 351,257 times
OH, god, whatever you do, do not move to Elkton...I repeat. Do not move to Elkton...you will regret it...you have been warned...

Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 PM

Haha....What about Elkton doesnt work for you WillV?
I'm curious? Maybe the things you dont like about it won't bother other people?

Elkton is so small it's ridiculous. You could live a stones throw from Main St in Elkton, and still not actually have an Elkton address.
What about McGheysville? Is that a No-go like Elkton? Or Shenandoah?

Old 05-17-2008, 12:51 PM

Thanks a ton, Dr. Jim!! That's what I like to hear.
We intend to do exactly as you said.. live in a surrounding area. We are not city people in the least. The closest town to us doesn't even have a gas station. Only one stop sign. So yes.. we are looking to live close to a very small town within a decent commute to Hburg. I had heard negative things about Waynesboro... yet the housing seems cheaper there. What are your thoughts on that town? We would LOVE to live either in the mountians, surrounded by trees with no neighbors.. that may be impossible but I can dream.
I will definitely take your advice on driving down 340. My husband is going to his "official" interview in a week and a half (the waiting is awful!) But they seem like they really want him.. now it just comes down to whether or not we think it's a smart move. We come from a 4 Bedroom farm house on 3 acres here.. we've been remodeling and added on 2 bedrooms, 2 bath, and a 3 car garage in the past 6 years. It would be the best if we could bring our house with us... but it'd be great to live in another old home again. My husband wants to build, but I dont' think that's financially possible.. sorry I'm rambling on too much. but thanks, everyone, for your honest replies.

Oh yeah and what's wrong with Elkton? Where are places you would stay away from?

Thanks,
Leslie

Old 05-17-2008, 12:56 PM

Oh and sorry.. I don't mean to imply that there are lots of redneck trashy type people there.. I'm just have to be careful because we live in an area FULL of that and I don't want to make the mistake again. A nice trailer with people who take care of it is one thing.. that's fine. We just happen to live next door to some real hillbillies... so I just have to ask.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:06 PM

Oh and how do you pronounce Staunton?? Is it as it looks or as StAnton???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or