Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2021, 12:42 PM

21 posts, read 28,307 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!! Beware of the lengthyness!!! Any and all recommendations greatly appreciated.

My family are thinking of moving out of Jersey. I had originally wanted Tennessee and even posted here a few years ago about Tennessee. Things did not work out for the better with us moving. We won't be coming with any car payments or huge monthly debts. And I will automatically have 600 a month from.child support.

The reason for this move would be because of, YOU GUESSED IT, NEW JERSEYS INSANE COST OF LIVING. For example, as a CNA, I make 14.50 an hour. Rents in my area are currently 1600+ for a 3bed 1bath. There are 3 adults (his son is an adult) plus my 2 young kids. We CANNOT swing a 3 bed here or anywhere else in NJ.

The discussion has been brought up again recently. I have 2 children, 9 and 7. My 9 year old has Tourettes , mildly,(and ofcourse we've been blessed with the obscene tics) ADHD and also major Anxiety. My 7 is ADHD, anxiety and who knows what else. I swear he'll have his diagnosis. Both children have IEPs and in special need classes.

Now, Virginia! In the research I have done, it seems that Virginia has some great public schools. The area I have been looking at is Roanoke and the surrounding. Through my job searches, I see CNAs seem to be somewhat at the same starting pay that I am currently.making after 14 years!! Also I have seen that Sheetz is hiring 14/hr. It also seems that rents are lower and more for the money. As well as buying a house. I could never buy a house in NJ. I can't even find a fixer upper under 100k, yet I found a move in ready 3bed in Saltville for 45k.

As I've said, I am a CNA but I am not glued to that line of work, my boyfriend did glass for years and is currently maintenance for apt complexes, his son has fast food and landscaping laborer experience. With all your knowledge I would love some feedback and recommendations. Mostly Roanoke and surrounding areas but if there's any other suggestions I'll gladly research them as well!!! And also any insight into medicaid and how their services are as ill need something for the kids til I can land a job with benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 01:26 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Roanoke is a nice area with a large hospital presence. (2 actually). To say it is cheaper than NJ is an understatement. I cannot speak for the school system and its support for Special Needs kids so hopefully someone can. There is a Roanoke page here as well so maybe message the mods and ask that this be moved to there. Roanoke is no small town but certainly not a large city either. It's in a beautiful area with a lot of people so I would think jobs are plentiful there. Just maybe not the highest paying in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: