Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 03:35 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Vaccines and masks have nothing to do with your freaking freedom!
Im sorry but at least as far as vaccines go, that isnt true. I say that as a triple vaxxed person who would get a fourth booster if my Dr. said it would be good for me. I also havent voted for a Republican since 2008 and I doubt Ill be starting in 2022. This shouldnt be binary depending on favored party.

Being forced against your will to inject something in your body is indeed an assault on a persons freedom. I dont know how it wouldnt be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 05:06 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2jm3jm4jm5 View Post
Disagree how ? I dont see you running back to NJ pay 12 grand in property taxes
I don't recall your comments mentioned anything about taxes or this thread being about taxes.
I had a house on the water with a dock and boat in the backyard and although it has been about 10 years I very much doubt my taxes would be anywhere close to 12K.
In fact my taxes were quite low when I left.
Taxes had nothing to do with my move to Virginia so do not assume anything that you do not know about.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Im sorry but at least as far as vaccines go, that isnt true. I say that as a triple vaxxed person who would get a fourth booster if my Dr. said it would be good for me. I also havent voted for a Republican since 2008 and I doubt Ill be starting in 2022. This shouldnt be binary depending on favored party.

Being forced against your will to inject something in your body is indeed an assault on a persons freedom. I dont know how it wouldnt be.
Well I have never voted for a Democrat for president in my life but I fail to see what voting history has to do with this issue but I see you are willing to make a political issue out of a safety issue .Mask requirements are a safety issue just like you are not allowed to drive 100 MPH while drunk in a school zone, it's about the safety of your fellow human beings. We all had to get vaccinations for not only us but our children to attend school and to wipe out polio and other diseases for the well being of everybody so it's hardly about about your freedom. To say it is about freedom is really ridiculous.
And although in your mind it is about your rights your rights end when they conflict with the rights of every other American including children walking to school and are in a school zone where the speed limit is 25 or are require to stop your vehicle when a school bus is picking up kids or dropping off kids.
We are approaching the death of one million men, woman and children in the United States and if that does not cause you to pause and rethink your position I do not know what to tell you.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2jm3jm4jm5 View Post
You need some help man. I know adults who have gotten killed in a car accident. Do you want to ban driving too ? You also do realize that their have been deaths from the covid vaccine. Should we stop taking that too? Thank god you left NJ.
The number of people having complications or death from covid vaccines are minuscule when compare to people that die or suffer from covid or the effects of long term covid.
More people die or suffer from the taking the common asprin should we ban asprin?
Speaking of deaths by auto you sound like the person that refuses to wear their seatbelt because they heard of a story about someone that died wearing a seatbelt when their car caught fired or exploded and they might have faired better if they were thrown through the windshield.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:05 AM

Well I have been a activist for the past 15 years so I have a very healthy mistrust of our government and news organization be it MSNBC, CNN or Fox News as they all pay homage to their corporate sponsors and donors.
There will always be difference in detail from the scientific/medical community and there has been changes in their message but for the most part are due to each new variant poses new problems along with the knowledge that is gained as we go along but when you have so call experts that claim many medical problems are caused by having sex with demons in our dreams you should really question it not just go along with it.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Well I have never voted for a Democrat for president in my life but I fail to see what voting history has to do with this issue but I see you are willing to make a political issue out of a safety issue .Mask requirements are a safety issue just like you are not allowed to drive 100 MPH while drunk in a school zone, it's about the safety of your fellow human beings. We all had to get vaccinations for not only us but our children to attend school and to wipe out polio and other diseases for the well being of everybody so it's hardly about about your freedom. To say it is about freedom is really ridiculous.
And although in your mind it is about your rights your rights end when they conflict with the rights of every other American including children walking to school and are in a school zone where the speed limit is 25 or are require to stop your vehicle when a school bus is picking up kids or dropping off kids.
We are approaching the death of one million men, woman and children in the United States and if that does not cause you to pause and rethink your position I do not know what to tell you.
I brought up my voting history to emphasize the point that I dont view this as political, but how a person reacts to the virus is almost entirely dictated by politics by most people.

You have to show me in a previous post where I said anything about masks.

And yes, I do believe that the government forcing people to inject their bodies with something they dont want is a violation of freedom. Now then, if a school, business, or whatever want to make rules that say only vaccinated people are welcome thats completely fine. What Im against is a governmental mandate on it. Personal businesses can do as they wish.

Id also say if I had children I would get them vaxxed and boosted as soon as they were eligible. My wife and my entire family is boosted except for one brother and law and his wife who think Covid was a Chinese conspiracy to get Trump out of office.

My reasons for feeling this way are outlined in post #10 of this thread.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 02-23-2022 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-23-2022, 08:37 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Quote:
...Being forced against your will to inject something in your body is indeed an assault on a persons freedom. I dont know how it wouldnt be.
Did you or your parents harbor the same sentiment when you were young and took the Polio vaccine, or any of the "required" vaccines mandated to enroll in kindergarten ?

Just curious as to when you started to consider such requirements an assault....

Old 02-23-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Did you or your parents harbor the same sentiment when you were young and took the Polio vaccine, or any of the "required" vaccines mandated to enroll in kindergarten ?

Just curious as to when you started to consider such requirements an assault....
Its an apples and oranges situation. Polio was a virus we could eradicate. Because of that, while I still feel it is a violation of freedom to force such a thing, it was worth it because the goal in the end was obtainable. There is no obtainable goal with Covid. There is no eradicating Covid. Period. Its here forever. If we vaccinate everyone on earth, its not going to change that.

So its up to the individual. If a person chooses not to get the vaccine, this risk is solely on them. The people I do feel for are the hospital workers for whom the unvaxxed to clog up their rooms. But for the average person, there is no sympathy to give. Its only through the political lens that we choose to blame the unvaxxed for the pandemic. As I said, we can blame the unvaxxed for chaos at hospitals but the pandemic was going to go on regardless and Covid will always be here.

To go back to your point, I would have happily received the polio vaccine just as I happily received the Covid vaccine and booster. But what freedoms you give up has to be weighed against the end goal and whether or not its obtainable. If schools and businesses want to enforce mandates, more power to them. However, I am against any governmental mandate when it comes to vaccines.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I brought up my voting history to emphasize the point that I dont view this as political, but how a person reacts to the virus is almost entirely dictated by politics by most people.

You have to show me in a previous post where I said anything about masks.

And yes, I do believe that the government forcing people to inject their bodies with something they dont want is a violation of freedom. Now then, if a school, business, or whatever want to make rules that say only vaccinated people are welcome thats completely fine. What Im against is a governmental mandate on it. Personal businesses can do as they wish.

Id also say if I had children I would get them vaxxed and boosted as soon as they were eligible. My wife and my entire family is boosted except for one brother and law and his wife who think Covid was a Chinese conspiracy to get Trump out of office.

My reasons for feeling this way are outlined in post #10 of this thread.
Ok I stand corrected as it was still fairly early in the morning, you were not speaking of yourself being motivated by politics but others are, ditto on the masks but in general most people in the anti-vax category are more than likely to be anti mask as they seem to go hand in hand for many with a particular political viewpoint.
But as far as being a personal choice of being vaxed or not along with many that consider wearing a mask a matter of personal choice I feel like screaming and throwing a shoe at my computer screen.
I would agree to a certain point about the government shouldn't force anything on the people in general but this like the example I gave about driving drunk in a school zone there are times when extradentary circumstances overrides the individual needs and wants for the good of the rest of the population.
What would you say if I said it's my personal freedom of choice was to distribute drugs laced with toxic chemicals and to have sex with minors.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Ok I stand corrected as it was still fairly early in the morning, you were not speaking of yourself being motivated by politics but others are, ditto on the masks but in general most people in the anti-vax category are more than likely to be anti mask as they seem to go hand in hand for many with a particular political viewpoint.
But as far as being a personal choice of being vaxed or not along with many that consider wearing a mask a matter of personal choice I feel like screaming and throwing a shoe at my computer screen.
I would agree to a certain point about the government shouldn't force anything on the people in general but this like the example I gave about driving drunk in a school zone there are times when extradentary circumstances overrides the individual needs and wants for the good of the rest of the population.
What would you say if I said it's my personal freedom of choice was to distribute drugs laced with toxic chemicals and to have sex with minors.
I feel like we can do better in terms of examples. It cant be against your personal freedom to distribute toxic drugs to minors or drive drunk because those things often result in the direct deaths of other people. Not getting vaccinated hurts the person who isnt vaccinated, not the public at large (sans occasionally overburdening the health care system). I outlined why I feel this way in the previous post I made. The main reason is that Covid isnt going away ever. It will evolve and there will be new variants even if everyone on earth was vaccinated.

What we see clearly from the data is that Covid vaccines do wonders to keep people from getting too sick. They keep people out of the hospital and illness at a minimum. What we also see from the data is that they do very little to stop spread of the virus. I do blame rhetoric from the media and some health officials that sold the vaccine as a way to stop the virus: it isnt. Its like the flu vaccine. People still get the flu all the time after getting the vaccine and vaccinated people can transmit it, but it makes the recipient able to recover much easier.

So if the Covid vaccines dont stop transmission (and they dont), it stands to reason that vaccines are for the protection of the individual regardless of how they were sold to us. A person can choose whether they want that protection or not and it have little impact on you. Again, my only caveat involves health care workers for whom the unvaxxed can clog up hospitals in a crazy waive. That should be minimized going forward because, while it was largely intentionally ignored, previously infected immunity is very much at play. It may not keep you from getting it again, but it does keep it from being as bad. Just like the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia