U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,222 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I received a ticket in Maryland going 80/55. I didnít get a ticket as a reckless driving, just as a speeding ticket. I live in Virginia and have a VA license. I was wondering, would this count as a reckless driving in VA and would it be better going to court in MD? My friend told me to go to the Driving School and I would be fine. Is that true?

I really want to know because I am applying for jobs and I can not afford getting a reckless on my background check.

Centrino
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 AM

3,508 posts, read 12,155,917 times
Pay your fine immediately. VA won't bother you unless MD puts out an apb for ya!

Old 06-04-2008, 01:26 PM

328 posts, read 1,423,603 times
Speeding more than the posted speed of 65 mph by 20 mph or more is a 5 point offense in Maryland. These states share information. I am from Maryland...both have reciprocal agreements and share speeding ticket information. Part of the Drivers License Compact (DLC). DLC member states are required to report ticket convictions received by a motorist back to the state where they are licensed to drive. So the Maryland courts will transfer your speeding ticket conviction information back to our state of Virginia. Your driving record should be updated as such. Pay your fine or go to court and contest. Or call your local traffic/criminal defense attorney and ask about the DLC and the points received for an out-of-state offense.
Either way, it should be on your record for 3 years. 2 for Insurance..

Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 PM

8,113 posts, read 12,677,755 times
Default 80/55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centrino View Post
Hello,

I really want to know because I am applying for jobs and I can not afford getting a reckless on my background check.

Centrino
Uh, then don't drive 80mph in a 55mph zone.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:57 PM

5,189 posts, read 13,345,274 times
Anything over 80 is considered reckless--even if it's less than 20 over the speed limit, in VA! Be careful!

Old 06-30-2008, 01:01 PM

521 posts, read 964,906 times
Even though they share driving records/histories, Virginia will not apply its own definition of what constitues "reckless" driving to a violation that occurred in Maryland. A ticket in one state will still be seen as a ticket in the the other, but they won't selectively adopt one another's violations, to the detriment of the driver (i.e. VA won't call a 20-MPH-over violation that occurred in MD "resckless" by VA standards, just to try and hammer the driver even more).

If you were going that fast, you should consider yourself lucky that you DID get cited in MD. Probably goes without saying that you should slow down, especially in a state like VA, which has a somewhat less-than-forgiving view of speeders. I would pay the fine and move on (but move s-l-o-w-l-y...).

Old 07-01-2008, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,140 times
Default speeding ticket in MD

I have actually recieved a ticket for the same speed in MD with a VA license. I chose to go to court aside from paying the fine. While at court it was told that if you plead guilty you will revieve no points on your record and even your insurance would not be notified. A couple people before me chose to plead not gulity and they were pretty clear in saying if you continue to choose not gulity you will recieve points against your recond. Needless to say i pleaded gulity and had to pay my $180 fine, and still 3 years later never recieved any penlty on my record. Hope it works out that way for you!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:08 PM

3,508 posts, read 12,155,917 times
VA's driving laws are changing..to very strict consequences. Plead quilty, pay your fine and don't speed anymore.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 PM

35 posts, read 124,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
VA's driving laws are changing..to very strict consequences. Plead quilty, pay your fine and don't speed anymore.

I read a Washington Post and USA Today article from June of 2007 regarding some new Va. traffic law changes that where to go into effect on July 1st of that year. I noted your posting is dated for July 1st of this year. Are they about to change again?

Old 07-07-2008, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,073 times
Exclamation My early morning ticket experience (49 in a 35)

This is more a question than a response: To the experts on this subject: I think I know the answer, but I'm seeking validation. At 5:00 this morning in Harrisonburg, VA, I got caught doing 49 in a 35, on my way to I-81 north to come home. I got a ticket. Now I live in VA, but only for the past 20 days or so. My address on my license is still MD. I did write down my current address when asked by the officer if that was my current address on the license. ( At 5 am, I guess honesty is the best policy!, 7 am may have been different ) Anyway, I'm moving to a more permanent address in VA in about 3 months. Should I go ahead, pay the ticket as he said I could without having to go to court, and switch my registration later? Will the points reflect on my MD, then transfer to my VA when I do register? As far as I know, I have nothing on my DMV, and haven't for years. Well, I guess I don't know the answer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia