Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 06:51 AM

49 posts, read 319,236 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a great getaway for me and my husband Labor Day weekend. We don't want to go to VA beach as the stress getting down there and back negates the relaxation...would only be worth it for a week and at that point I would rather go to the outer banks.

I am looking for someplace with a lake where I can swim and a fun and summery.

I don't know if there is somewhere in virginia that would be perfect or maybe West Virginia? We love douthat state park but are going there Columbus Day weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 03:02 PM

363 posts, read 557,376 times
Smith mountain lake is about 2.5 hrs from Harrisonburg... less than an hour south east of Roanoke.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:42 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam4vt View Post
Smith mountain lake is about 2.5 hrs from Harrisonburg... less than an hour south east of Roanoke.
Smith Mountain Lake is a great idea..so is Lake Anna, which is about 2 hours SE of Harrisonburg.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:53 PM

689 posts, read 1,615,970 times
There's a really great state park just over the line by Winchester, so within your driving range. Cacapon, I think? I haven't been there in a while, but it's neat. The big problem with Smith Mtn. Lake is it will be packed that weekend. We've found it unappealing to boat when it gets that crowded. I don't know Lake Anna well, but I would assume it's crowded, too. If you want truly rustic we love Cave mountain lake, outside of Lexington. And Lexington is a great little town, if you don't know it.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:43 PM

148 posts, read 242,713 times
Colonial Beach, Va.

Town of Colonial Beach, Virginia

Old 06-30-2014, 04:55 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Also just west of Winchester in West Virginia, there is a small resort called Capon Springs. Home » Capon Springs

It is like returning to camp -- the rooms are very basic, no frills. There are no tvs, no alarm clocks, spotty cell phone coverage, one wi-fi connection in a communal area. It has a well-known spa, swimming, a golf course with spectacular views (the course itself is not all that great but it's cheap), hiking in the mountains, evening communal games (bingo, etc), three meals a day are served family style and you get an assigned dining room seat at large tables to encourage interaction with other. The Star-Spangled Banner is played on a loud speaker around the flag pole in the morning. Bells are rung to wake you for breakfast.

If you go, bring your own shampoo, hair dryer, etc because it's not like most hotels.

It is dry but you are allowed to bring alcohol to consume in your room or on the porches of the lodges.

It is a very interesting throw back to the 1950s and it is extremely relaxing.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:43 AM

689 posts, read 1,615,970 times
Capon Springs is really neat -- I forgot about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia