Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 04:24 PM

13 posts, read 31,644 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm new to this Forum. I currently live in Key West and my husband and i need to relocate. The cost of living here is way too much for us. We rent a small apartment in an affordable living complex, but it still costs $1250.00 a months and we just found out the building will be converted to a condo early next year. We won't be able to find another place at the same rate, plus my place of work will be closing early next year and there is not much work on this Island. So we are planning to save as much as we can and move away. Virginia Beach looks good to us. but i have a few questions after reading posts on this forum.

1.) I'm a Front Desk Agent, my husband a maintenance painter, are there many hotels etc where we could find work and if so what is the average wage?

2.) How easy is it to get around on public transport? We don't have a car at the moment, I usually get around by bike/walk or bus.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:15 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tansu View Post
Hi,
1.) I'm a Front Desk Agent, my husband a maintenance painter, are there many hotels etc where we could find work and if so what is the average wage?

2.) How easy is it to get around on public transport? We don't have a car at the moment, I usually get around by bike/walk or bus.

Thank you
1) There are so many freakin' hotels here, we put Las Vegas to shame! They are everywhere, not just the ocean front. There is alot of contract work here as well for painting, maintenance etc.
2) Public transportation IMO isn't the greatest. You will need a car or you can car pool. Depends are where you decide to live.
I can not really tell you what the average wage is, maybe someone who works in a hotel can tell you that info.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
The average wage for hotel workers is just above minimum wage. There are alot of hotels in Va. Beach--after all, it's a destination during the summer.
You may want to put out "feelers"--some resumes and such, before you actually pull up stakes!
Even tho there is a bus that runs up and down the beach, there's no real "shopping" without a car--sorry! Va. Beach and the surrounding area is very spread out--urban sprawl at it's best!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:54 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
I love Key West, we were there not too long ago and I totally agree how hard it is for the locals to live. Seems the only ones making it are the retired military and they are the ones buying the condos. You may want to check out local paper www.virginianpilotonline.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia