Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:39 AM

90 posts, read 319,750 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

My Wife and I are considering a move to Virginia early next year. We are totally burned out on Tampa, Florida (for MANY reasons) and we are looking to put down roots somewhere else. I am hoping that you guys might be able to point me in the direction you'd recommend most for a young family of five. The following is a basic summary of who we are and what we are looking for...

My Wife and I are both 31 years of age, we have 3 young boys (ages 9, 8, & 3). I am a real estate agent with Coldwell Banker but I am looking to go back to college and finish my degree. Business is way down for me and I am struggling mightily to make the money I used to. I'm hoping to find an "economy proof" field so to speak. Perhaps something in medical (RN, Radiological Tech, Sonographer, etc.) after attaining appropriate education of course. My Wife is an office manager for a large dental practice and has nearly a decade of experience doing that. She likes what she does and would look to find something comparable in Virginia.

We are primarily looking for a safe, family friendly city, with decent opportunities for work and education. Good schools for the children are a major plus. Crime is a problem in Tampa and I'm hoping to put my family in a better environment. I know that no place is perfect, but the safety of those I love is paramount! Other tidbits of concern for us are...

* We are looking to rent first and buy later as we become more familiar with our new city. We will be looking to buy in the $100's-$250,000 if possible (if not, we'll rent till we can buy). We'll need to secure an apartment prior to arriving.

* We are Christians and finding a good church would be great (preferably protestant or non-denominational, but Catholic would do in a pinch).

* We love the performing arts center here in Tampa and we try to catch as many shows as we can. We would love to find something similar in Virginia!

* We love to go out for fine dining whenever the opportunity permits (not often enough unfortunately).

* We are MAJOR sports fans, primarily pro & college football. We'd like to be atleast within reasonable driving distance to either VT or UVA to take in the occasional ball game. I'm not opposed to driving to Maryland either to catch a Redskins game or two every so often. Are the Redskins the focus of your regional NFL coverage in Virginia?

* We would love to have access to a Zoo or Cultural opportunites and events for the children if possible.

* We love to shop and read so any place with quick access to shopping and books is a plus!

* My Wife is dreaming of having true seasons. She especially loves the fall and this is part of why Virginia stands out to her above and beyond other southern states. If you'd like to add anything on the different seasons I know she'd appreciate it!

Well, that's about it! I greatly appreciate any help you guys/gals might lend me! I thank you all very much and I look forward to hearing from you! If you need any additional information to help us find the best city in Virginia for us, then by all means... ask away!

I thank you all in advance,
ME

Last edited by CivilLibertarian; 08-05-2008 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,659,601 times
Every point you make points to Roanoke

Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 AM

J1n,

I thank you for the response. I'd greatly appreciate it if you or someone else might elaborate a bit on why Roanoke is a perfect match for me. Does Roanoke truly hit on every point I made? If so... I'm there!!! On what specific points is it the best match?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:13 AM
j1n

[quote=CivilLibertarian;4734097]Hello to all,

My Wife and I are considering a move to Virginia early next year. We are totally burned out on Tampa, Florida (for MANY reasons) and we are looking to put down roots somewhere else. I am hoping that you guys might be able to point me in the direction you'd recommend most for a young family of five. The following is a basic summary of who we are and what we are looking for...

Quote:
My Wife and I are both 31 years of age, we have 3 young boys (ages 9, 8, & 3). I am a real estate agent with Coldwell Banker but I am looking to go back to college and finish my degree. Business is way down for me and I am struggling mightily to make the money I used to. I'm hoping to find an "economy proof" field so to speak. Perhaps something in medical (RN, Radiological Tech, Sonographer, etc.) after attaining appropriate education of course. My Wife is an office manager for a large dental practice and has nearly a decade of experience doing that. She likes what she does and would look to find something comparable in Virginia.
Carilion is a major employer in the Roanoke Valley. There's also Lewis-Gale, a Vets Admin, etc. There are tons of medical and dental practices. My wife was with the same practice in NJ for 16 years, and landed a job with Carilion almost immediately after we moved here. Within 6 months, she was promoted.

Quote:
We are primarily looking for a safe, family friendly city, with decent opportunities for work and education. Good schools for the children are a major plus. Crime is a problem in Tampa and I'm hoping to put my family in a better environment. I know that no place is perfect, but the safety of those I love is paramount! Other tidbits of concern for us are...
There is no crime here like there is in Tampa. After driving through bad areas of Tampa (or Orlando, or Jacksonville, or NYC, or most places...), you would laugh at what long-time locals would consider "bad" here. "Bad" here means "depressed" or "run-down" as opposed to really "dangerous".

Quote:
* We are looking to rent first and buy later as we become more familiar with our new city. We will be looking to buy in the $100's-$250,000 if possible (if not, we'll rent till we can buy). We'll need to secure an apartment prior to arriving.
You can get a 3-4 bedroom, 1-2 bath fixer-upper in a decent neighborhood for under 100k. You can land a nice 3 bedroom brick house in a nice neighborhood for 200k.

Quote:
* We are Christians and finding a good church would be great (preferably protestant or non-denominational, but Catholic would do in a pinch).
Our church is as you describe. And there are others too. Not everyone here is Southern Baptist.

Quote:
* We love the performing arts center here in Tampa and we try to catch as many shows as we can. We would love to find something similar in Virginia!
The Arts Center in downtown Roanoke is getting off the ground. There are also galleries downtown, an excellent outdoor market, concerts and performances at the Civic Center, etc. Not to mention Floyd...about 30-40 minutes from Roanoke...tons of art and music going on.

Quote:
* We love to go out for fine dining whenever the opportunity permits (not often enough unfortunately).
Lots of stuff here to meet your culinary needs...sushi, Indian, steakhouses, seafood, etc

Quote:
* We are MAJOR sports fans, primarily pro & college football. We'd like to be atleast within reasonable driving distance to either VT or UVA to take in the occasional ball game. I'm not opposed to driving to Maryland either to catch a Redskins game or two every so often. Are the Redskins the focus of your regional NFL coverage in Virginia?
UVA is about 3 hrs. VT is less than an hour. Roanoke has a hockey team and I believe the matches are free at the Civic Center. Sports are big here.

Quote:
* We would love to have access to a Zoo or Cultural opportunites and events for the children if possible.
Mill Mountain Zoo in Roanoke. I've never seen a Wolverine in captivity before. Snow Leopards, etc. Lots of stuff for a small Zoo.

Quote:
* We love to shop and read so any place with quick access to shopping and books is a plus!
Tons of shopping, 2 good-sized malls, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million, and private book stores.

Quote:
* My Wife is dreaming of having true seasons. She especially loves the fall and this is part of why Virginia stands out to her above and beyond other southern states. If you'd like to add anything on the different seasons I know she'd appreciate it!
We get 'em all here. 4 real seasons. And winter drops enough snow to set off the scenery on the mountains, but not enough to be a real inconvenience. Check out the "pictures" thread that is stickied at the top of this forum.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:19 PM

j1n,

I thank you for the big post! That is incredibly helpful! My Wife will be relieved to know that she more than likely won't find it hard to locate dental offices for potential employment. I'm going to be changing careers but she needed to know that there were opportunities for her in the dental field. Eveything you listed seems to meet our needs perfectly!

I truly cannot wait to visit!!!

When we do come up, can you tell me of any "must see" spots in Roanoke? Where should a family go in the city to get a decent "feel" for it, and what places (if any) should we look to avoid?

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:59 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
I just got back from Roanoke, where I visited my niece. She works there as a dietician and is working on her Masters Degree at VT in Blacksburg. I love Roanoke and the surrounding communities - beautiful rolling hills and mountain ranges and lots to do. We drove over to the Natural Bridge of Virginia and spent one day hiking, going through the caves and wax museum, small zoo, etc. Then, Abingdon (a quaint, small town known for its arts, music, Virginia Highlands Festival, Barter Theater, etc.), is only 1 1/2 hours East of Roanoke. I haven't lived in Roanoke personally, but my niece (26, single, and very pretty) likes it and feels very safe there. I might look into moving up there in a few years myself (I, too, miss the 4 seasons).

Old 08-05-2008, 01:30 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,119 times
Actually, Abingdon is about 2 hours West of Roanoke, but close enough

Come back soon!

Sean

Old 08-05-2008, 01:45 PM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilLibertarian View Post
j1n,

I thank you for the big post! That is incredibly helpful! My Wife will be relieved to know that she more than likely won't find it hard to locate dental offices for potential employment. I'm going to be changing careers but she needed to know that there were opportunities for her in the dental field. Eveything you listed seems to meet our needs perfectly!

I truly cannot wait to visit!!!

When we do come up, can you tell me of any "must see" spots in Roanoke? Where should a family go in the city to get a decent "feel" for it, and what places (if any) should we look to avoid?

Thanks!
Definitely park downtown somewhere, and check out the farmer's market (there's a lot more than just fresh produce) and the shops around it. Drive up to the Mill Mountain Star...it's a great lookout over the city and the surrounding mountains. The Mill Mountain Zoo is right there by the star as well. Maybe take a ride over to Salem (next town west of Roanoke...they run right into each other) and check it out. Lots of folks really like Salem. No where in particular to really worry about avoiding. If you happen to be here on a Sunday, and want to check out a pretty laid-back, no-dresscode, come-as-you-are nondenominational church, drop me a line. You'll like it here.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM

SC Beaches, thanks for the info! Sounds like there is plenty to do in Roanoke!

j1n,

My Wife really loves farmer's markets so you are really speaking her language! I've heard of Salem from someone else and I heard that it is a very nice, safe town. I'm curious as to it's true population (I don't always trust the stats I find on the web. Some are very outdated). Are there any good apartments available and also, how long of a cummute would there be from Salem to Roanoke? If we are up there for a Sunday I'd be honored to visit your church! I'll let you know as the time approaches and thanks!

Old 08-05-2008, 03:07 PM

Oh, and I've got one more silly little sports question so if any of you Virginians know, PLEASE chime in...

I am a fan of the Washington Redskins living in Florida. Obviously, I don't get to see them play very much down here due to regional broadcasting of the Buccaneers, Dolphins, and every so often the Jaguars. One of the little perks of moving to Virginia is that I'll be closer to the Redskins regionally. My question is... Do the Redskins have regional priority for television in Virginia, or more specifically, in the Roanoke/Salem area or am I still going to have to look into aquiring Direct TV???

It's obviously not the most important thing to know but it is one of the small pleasures I hope to enjoy when up there.

Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia