U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,691 times

Advertisements

I am temporarily relocating for my job. I will be working in downtown DC, but don't want to live in DC. I have 2 children, 6th grade and Kindergarten. My mother will live with me, and my husband. I would like to live close to Metro and have a 45 minute commute or less. I would like to avoid the bus, if possible. Because my mother lives with me, I would like to live in a safe neighborhood, with a real "neighborhood" feel (close to stores, people she could spend time with during the day, close to community center, etc). I would also like to be in a good school district. Since my husband will not come out with us immediately, apartments are a good option, but we would also consider a SFH. I am thinking as close to $2000/month as I can get would be nice. Any suggestions on locations would be very welcome. We go out the week of the 11th to do some househunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 12:52 PM

8,125 posts, read 12,703,229 times
If an apartment is an option, can it be assumed that a townhouse would be even better? I am not sure about a SFH for $2,000 rent.

Last edited by tgbwc; 08-06-2008 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: detail

Old 08-06-2008, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,691 times
Yes, a TH would be fine as well. My mother loves to garden, so as long as she had some space to do that. But, for my own selfish reasons, if my husband doesn't come out soon, I would rather not mess with a yard, so I think an apartment might be nice (plus, they usually have more ammenities)

Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 PM

798 posts, read 2,484,751 times
A TH might work great for you because many have maintenance free yards and you have more space then an apartment. Lots of folks do some container gardening around here I have found.
You might want to consider the 22315 area. it has a number of communities and is a safe area very close to the Franconia Springfield metro. Might be best if your mom could check it out before you commit to see if it meets her needs. Many sites list rentals available as does the militarybyowner.com site. Just click on the rental option.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:25 PM

284 posts, read 786,809 times
Try the Northern Virginia forum. There's a wealth of info there.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:42 PM

23 posts, read 86,238 times
Agree w/ above post, repost in nova forum, but vienna has a nice community feel and a pretty large 50+ pop as well as families. They have a main street style layout, and there are plenty of apartments within walking distance of metro, when I was there 6 years ago practically new 2 bedrooms were available for $1600, I'm sure it's higher now. Be careful to check out anyplace before you rent, as Fairfax county has a real mix of housing quality -not that there are slums, but there are certainly homes for rent that are deeply in need of renovation and might not be all that comfortable for young children or older adults (think crummy windows and baseboard heat).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or