Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 44,226 times

Advertisements

So I was on my way back from Nashville to VT after spring break and I get pulled over in Bristol doing 84 in a 65. The officer charges me with reckless driving as well. I'm pretty worried now since I've heard reckless driving is serious. I currently have two other tickets on my record which were within the past 6 months or maybe longer (I know...I need to slow down) which I'm sure isn't going to help my case. Right now I currently have 8 points on my record (not including this ticket).

So I have a few questions...I'm pretty sure my speedometer is off by a couple mph's which I plan on getting checked tomorrow. But even if it is, considering my past driving record do you think it will be hard to drop the reckless driving charge? Since it's a mandatory court appearance which is two to three hours away, is there any way I can not show up (especially since I have class and work). If not, is it possible to get the court date changed since I have classes that day and it is really hard to miss my classes? Has anyone here been charged with reckless driving, if so how much was the fine? Also, I cant really get an attorney since I don't have the money (and not to mention I'm trying to hide this from my parents haha). Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 07:13 AM

25 posts, read 154,238 times
Well, you didn't mention this -- do you have a Get Out Of Jail For Free card?

Old 03-12-2007, 07:53 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,370,492 times
Reckless driving is a criminal offense in Virginia. Take it very seriously. This is not merely a speeding ticket. The court will deal with you much more severely than your parents. You should seek legal counsel if not actual representation. You must appear as scheduled. If you do not, a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest, and they WILL come looking for you and arrest you on the spot wherever they find you. None of your excuses as to why you were going so fast are going to carry any weight at all, and with your prior record, the court will not be disposed to deal lightly with you. Briefly put, you are now heading into some deep kimshee. If your parents are not monsters, fess up to them and get their advice and help. They likely have access to resources that you don't. If you are bound and determined to do this on your own, go see a lawyer. If you botch this, you will do jail time and end up carrying a criminal record around, so don't botch it...

Last edited by saganista; 03-12-2007 at 08:06 AM..

Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,986,881 times
You are a slow learner.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:51 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,840,314 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure my speedometer is off by a couple mph's
somehow I doubt this. And if you got a reckless driving citation as well as a speeding ticket...then I guess you were doing more than just flyin' down the freeway. Let's see...changing lanes and paaing on right? weaving in and out of the "slower" cars going say...75mph?

Sorry no sympathy here.
Had someone like you pass me (going 75-80 I admit I drive fast) so they had to be going 85-90 they had to swerve back in front of me because the car in the right lane was going 60, I had to slam on my breaks to oviod hitting them. They cruised on down the highway in the same manner..swerving and passing....until they scared someone who overcorrected and crashed. They never stopped, probably never saw the destruction they caused.

Admit you we were wrong and take the punishment.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:34 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,370,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
somehow I doubt this. And if you got a reckless driving citation as well as a speeding ticket...then I guess you were doing more than just flyin' down the freeway. Let's see...changing lanes and paaing on right? weaving in and out of the "slower" cars going say...75mph?
Some speedometers are out of whack. If so, the offender here will need to have it calibrated, not just tested. Only a few places do calibration. They will issue you a certificate of calibration which, if it is of any help to you, is admissible in court. Let's face it though, it's not really likely that it was reading 65 when the car was actually doing 84. That said, a reckless driving charge is all but mandatory in Virginia (medical emergencies sometimes excepted) at any speed over 80 mph. Could have been the only car on the road and still gotten one...

Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 AM

26,115 posts, read 48,712,075 times
Default been there..done that...IMO...you're hosed...

...can you ride a bicycle...they are THE thing on campus...girls DIG them...and those big manly quads you'll develop...

Old 03-12-2007, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 44,226 times
I take full responsibility for speeding and don't expect any sympathy. I know I have bigger tires than whats recommended on my car which I think might throw the speedometer off a couple of mph. I know it wont affect it that much but what I'm hoping is that if it was enough off to reduce it to 80 then maybe the reckless driving part will be dropped. Do you think taking an online driving course before the court date will help my case any? Looks like its time to invest in a bike.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:45 PM

566 posts, read 2,975,412 times
If you have your speedometer recalibrated, you will have to pay to have that done, explain to the judge why your speedometer was off and then pay the faulty equipment fine on top of it. Suck it up, tell your parents and beg for forgiveness...from them and the judge.

...on the bright side, think how fit you will be once summer rolls around and you've had to bike everywhere.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:15 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,303,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vthokie View Post
I take full responsibility for speeding and don't expect any sympathy. I know I have bigger tires than whats recommended on my car which I think might throw the speedometer off a couple of mph. I know it wont affect it that much but what I'm hoping is that if it was enough off to reduce it to 80 then maybe the reckless driving part will be dropped. Do you think taking an online driving course before the court date will help my case any? Looks like its time to invest in a bike.
"Big tires" - that won't get the reckless driving tossed. Let's see...... reckless driving will get you a possible misdemeanor and court costs, a lot of $$$ for insurance and an attorney. If Va has prayer-for-judgement, you might get lucky. Man up and tell your parents. To borrow from Miker: MY son has "been there..done that...IMO...you're hosed... " and it almost cost him a position after he got his BA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia