Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 10:20 AM

219 posts, read 789,441 times

Advertisements

Not really sure where in VA we would like to move. Were in the medical field and the better paying jobs seem to be around "Norfold" area. Correct me if I am wrong?

Were looking for an area like Abingdon, VA. But not sure of the jobs over there. Small town "country feel" with a city nearby to work, shop, etc. low-low crime, great schools. Nearby airport as well.

Tornados seem me be less mid state?
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/Historic_Events/Va-tmap.gif

Any input would be great?

Thanks

Last edited by DRvortec; 08-25-2008 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:31 AM

Can someone post the local paper so we can look up medical jobs, local hospitals or accute centers within 45min.

Also rentals onhowmuch they are running for a 3bd house with yard?

Also, what about the Eastman chemical plant. Problem with the water, etc? How far are they? Don't want a Erin Brockovich again.

Thanks

Last edited by DRvortec; 08-26-2008 at 11:29 AM..

Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRvortec View Post
I am finding that as well. I have posted on a few forums and no one wants to help. I have even sent in resumes and I get rude comments back. Not really wanting to help. I have found so many other states that help open handed.

At first, I thought maybe there wasn't any interent out there and no one could respond to post(s). Now, I am thinking it's more they just don't want to help.

I have found this problem in three foums now. Kinda sad how people are.
Sorry, the first time I read the original post, I wasn't sure where you were talking about. Do you mean "Norfolk," Virginia? Are you looking at Abingdon also? Or did you mean an area like Abingdon near Norfolk? They are very different areas in very different parts of the state.

Areas like Richmond and Hampton Roads (Norfolk area) have many opportunities in the medical fields. I'm sure Roanoke and Charlottesville do as well. Carillion is a big medical employer in Roanoke; UVA in Charlottesville; Bon Secour, HCA, and VCU Health System in Richmond; Sentara in Hampton Roads.

Local papers and rental rates depend on what area you are looking in. If you have interest in specific areas of Virginia, I'd suggest posting in the relevant sub-forums.

Tornadoes are not very common in Virginia. The map above shows the total number of tornadoes over the past 50years.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:43 PM

I like all three of those areas actually. Which is better for jobs in the medical field out of the three? I like Abingdon the best, but worry the jobs are less there for us and pay as well?

Old 08-27-2008, 01:58 PM

506 posts, read 1,402,622 times
Try Carilion in Roanoke or UVA in Charlottesville. There are plenty of rural towns around there were you guys could live.
Carilion

Health System Human Resources

Old 08-27-2008, 03:21 PM

Sent an email w/resume over. We see what they have to say!

Thanks a million!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:36 PM

13 posts, read 157,904 times
try hanover county, it can be rural living and is still close to richmond, and MCV, and many other hospitals and other major medical facilities

Old 10-04-2008, 09:18 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,588 times
I don't live in Abingdon, but I can tell you that most of the higher paying jobs are in the east side of Virginia. SW Virginia is going through a bad job shortage right now. I have a Bachelors degree and I'm working on a Masters degree and I am having trouble finding a job outside of coal-mining, machinery, and nursing. If the medical field you reference is nursing, those jobs are still sort of limited. I heard that Roanoke (sp?) and Richmond pay a lot for nurses, but the numbers I heard ($35-$40 an hour) was a few years ago.

Abingdon is a very beautiful small city with a famous theater (Barter) and the graphic artist of Stardust lives there as well. I think one of their movie theaters also has one of the few surround systems that George Lucas' company created. The people in SW Virginia are friendly, but if you are looking for higher pay and possibly better education I would recommend going to the east part of the state.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:58 PM

6 posts, read 32,527 times
Default Try Farmville

Farmville is in south-central Virginia, about 1.5 hours away from Charlotteville and Richmond, and an hour east of Lynchburg (about a half-hour east of Appomattox).

In terms of schools, the Prince Edward County public schools are not great - those of Cumberland County, just north, are better. But Farmville has a good private school called Fuqua School, and there are a lot of homeschoolers as well.

Farmville is a quiet place, though growing. Longwood University has about 6,000 students and is one of the main employers, along with Centra Southside Hospital. It's in the middle of rural Virginia, so if you like to hunt, fish (both are great - several quality lakes nearby for bass & crappie fishing), horseback ride, etc., you'll enjoy Farmville life. There's also a new golf resort called The Manor Resort.

In terms of shopping, Green Front Furniture is a real "mecca" for people wanting quality furniture and imported rugs at low prices. There are also some good antique stores. Farmville is the area shopping hub, so it has the local Wal-Mart and Lowe's, plus the only Starbucks for miles around. It's true that there are a lot of empty stores on Main Street downtown - south of the Green Front warehouse buildings - but that's because there's not enough easy parking right there. Stores that have moved from downtown Main Street to other shopping areas with more parking (like Schewel's furniture and Carrington's Music) have gotten a lot more business.

The Hampton Inn, which opened 3 years ago and is located in the Sunchase development on E. Third St., is almost completely booked 100% of the time, and last year got the Hampton award for the chain's best Virginia hotel! So, people appreciate quality and good service. According to the paper, two other motel chains are going to build in Farmville soon.

The Sunchase area also has the only movie theaters in town, an eight-plex that is new, clean and state-of-the-art. For live theater, there's The Waterworks Players, plus student productions at Longwood and Hampden-Sydney College (just south of town).

Check out The Farmville Directory (FarmvilleDirectory.com), a locally run site that keeps up with new shops and businesses, to get a better idea of what's in town.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:49 PM

10 posts, read 56,463 times
What about Winchester VA? Winchesterhospital.org. Located in the Shenandoah valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia