Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:31 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times

Advertisements

We drove through there and it was quite beautiful: clean, mountainous, lots of water around, etc. We picked up some real estate books and it looks fairly reasonable.

Question: These forums are great, but no one posts or asks about this area of SW Virginia . . . I am assuming something is wrong with the area that we don't know about.

Perhaps bad economy, high utilities, poor schools, etc? Can anyone give me some feedback on this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 06:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
We drove through there and it was quite beautiful: clean, mountainous, lots of water around, etc. We picked up some real estate books and it looks fairly reasonable.

Question: These forums are great, but no one posts or asks about this area of SW Virginia . . . I am assuming something is wrong with the area that we don't know about.

Perhaps bad economy, high utilities, poor schools, etc? Can anyone give me some feedback on this area?
There is nothing "wrong" with this area - what you see is truly what you get The only thing "different" about that corner of the state is the lack of development and high-paying jobs. But given what Northern Virginia has become, all in the name of progress and good jobs, the folks in Southwest Virginia are happy to keep things just the way they are!

Old 05-19-2007, 08:13 PM

Thanks, I think I'll go back and visit again . . . compared to where we live now, it has a little more to offer. I appreciate your opinion

Old 05-19-2007, 10:03 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
I have family in both Abingdon and Bristol and I recently purchased 10 acres in Scott County near a small town called Mendota. I find that area absolutely beautfiul, clean, pure, and unassuming. The people are friendly and still have small-town, all American, Christian values. The land I bought was very reasonably priced and it has the most breathtaking views one can imagine. I can't wait to build my log home on it and move up there once I retire.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:04 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
SW VA is the only place I have my eye on if I'm ever fortunate enough to move out of the "hot box" of the country. I've posted many questions about SW VA, not particularly Abingdon as I want to be as far away from the madness of people as possible and Abingdon and Bristol are too populated for me.

Look for some prior posts from months ago about SW VA. I've had so many wonderful responses that I'm longing to move out there. Now SCBeaches has given me another county to really delve into when I take my trip to VA. I can't wait.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:40 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
Glad I could help. It is not fancy, by any means....no gated mountain communities like there are in NC, but streams, small waterfalls, pastures of wildflowers horses, and cattle, sparsely-travelled roads, etc. I live in Chas., SC just 15 minutes from the beach so I deal with lots of tourist traffic here....being up there away from it all is so peaceful and serene. I can just imagine myself sitting on my rocking chair on my front porch taking in the panoramic mountain ranges in the distance while listening to the sounds of nature, with not another house in sight. ahh-h-.
I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by several hundred acres owned by a man who does not plan to build on it - just uses it for fishing, hiking, and family gatherings. He looks after my land in my absence....very neighborly.
I hope you are as fortunate as I have been in your search for a "piece of heaven".

Old 05-20-2007, 12:18 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Glad I could help. It is not fancy, by any means....no gated mountain communities like there are in NC, but streams, small waterfalls, pastures of wildflowers horses, and cattle, sparsely-travelled roads, etc. I live in Chas., SC just 15 minutes from the beach so I deal with lots of tourist traffic here....being up there away from it all is so peaceful and serene. I can just imagine myself sitting on my rocking chair on my front porch taking in the panoramic mountain ranges in the distance while listening to the sounds of nature, with not another house in sight. ahh-h-.
I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by several hundred acres owned by a man who does not plan to build on it - just uses it for fishing, hiking, and family gatherings. He looks after my land in my absence....very neighborly.
I hope you are as fortunate as I have been in your search for a "piece of heaven".
Gated communities I dislike intensely. I don't even get the point of them. We have one in the area I live now and I'd be darned if I'd live in one. There is no way I'm going to have to worry about a locked gate or guard shack to pass. What's really funny is that this high-dollar one in my area housed a meth lab which was quite a surprise when it was finally discovered.

Fancy is out of the question, just serenity, beauty, and nature are all I need to finish out my sunset years. Ahhh, it just sounds so delightful.

Tourist traffic is out of the question. It sounds like your mind and mine is on the same wavelength....no houses in sight, gorgeous views, and all the wonderful sounds of natures. What else to life could there possibly be except the love of family?

Having a neighbor that doesn't plan to build is something I'll definitely need to look into when I do finally make my decision. All I need is to move and have peace and beauty for a while and then have to look at houses being built all around me. No thank you......I prefer very unspoiled land.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I would so like a piece of Heaven as well.

Please let me know if by chance, you hear of any cheap land for sale whenever you are in Scott County. I'm checking on realtor sites but often times, one can become lucky when asking around and acquire inexpensive land. I plan on asking the "old timers" if they now of anything of the sort and hope I get lucky. Of course, a house already on the land is just fine too.

All the best.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:57 PM

37 posts, read 152,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post

I can speak to Abingdon. I found that the construction quality in the area is not good. Houses are not well insulated (for weather and sound). Be extra careful when you look at houses in Abingdon. I see that some of the new construction is just being slapped on. Plus cookie cutter and your neighbor is about 9 ft from you (small lots).

Also, if you want a variety of cuisines its not happening here. Good shopping - again not here. For everything you have drive either to Bristol or into TN. If you are a young family looking to do things be prepared to drive out for everything. Schools are ok but research that well.

Not much economy, not well connected by Train or bus (greyhound) or even air (the tri-cities airport is a joke). Cost of living - housing is affordable but everything else is no better than else where. It could be more expensive for some things since there is little competition in Abingdon and things have to be transported in trucks.

Sorry...its a beautiful place to visit but to live, its not for me. Then there is the Race weekends when so many people come with their RVs that the residents want to run away. Young people have had to leave in search of well paying jobs.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:49 PM

Wow, that doesn't sound so good, I'll check it out further. It is so beautiful there, and some of the older homes so charming.

I guess what we can afford, it will be hard to be in an area with lots of amenities close by . . . .

Old 02-17-2008, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meMesa View Post
I can speak to Abingdon. I found that the construction quality in the area is not good. Houses are not well insulated (for weather and sound). Be extra careful when you look at houses in Abingdon. I see that some of the new construction is just being slapped on. Plus cookie cutter and your neighbor is about 9 ft from you (small lots).

Also, if you want a variety of cuisines its not happening here. Good shopping - again not here. For everything you have drive either to Bristol or into TN. If you are a young family looking to do things be prepared to drive out for everything. Schools are ok but research that well.

Not much economy, not well connected by Train or bus (greyhound) or even air (the tri-cities airport is a joke). Cost of living - housing is affordable but everything else is no better than else where. It could be more expensive for some things since there is little competition in Abingdon and things have to be transported in trucks.

Sorry...its a beautiful place to visit but to live, its not for me. Then there is the Race weekends when so many people come with their RVs that the residents want to run away. Young people have had to leave in search of well paying jobs.
I was born and raised in Abingdon. Bristol and TN are within 20 minutes of town so it isn't too bad to hop over if you can't find what you want.

Look for housing outside of town and you can find some real treasures.

Interstate travel is easy. I-81 runs through town and intersects I-77 and I-40 to the east and west. I love road-trips, so it worked well for me. 5 hours to DC, Raleigh and Nashville, 2 hours to Knoxville, -1 hour to Johnson City and 20 minutes to Bristol. Watch out for speed traps in Wythe County!

Economy is a big drawback and the reason I left. The schools served me well, but a lot of the big industry there has either left or is tenuous at best. They are making so efforts in the way of shopping as well as arts/entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia