U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:24 PM

10 posts, read 23,289 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much!!! Info. is most helpful. I saw your web page when i posted these questions. I felt very envious of the life you and your family have created. It was very inspiring. I am very excited to get started on the research of the areas mentioned. Once again I can not thank you enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 05:50 PM

28 posts, read 140,166 times
My husband and I moved to Waynesboro (just east of Staunton) a few years ago from Western North Carolina. We thought we would fit in fine being from the mountains of NC. I worked for the City of Staunton for about six months. People there treated us like we just landed from Mars. It is a VERY small town, a VERY conversative town and a VERY clannish town. I hated every day of the three miserable years we lived there.

I have to agree with you 200%!! I have had the UNFORTUNATE experience of living here in Staunton. I have been stuck here for almost three years and I am going crazy. As soon as I can find a job in Asheville or Richmond, I am OUT of here. The people here are snooty and redneck. If you don't belong to their clique, then you have no friends. the ONLY friends I have are ones that moved here from Houston, but in the three years I have lived here, I have only met 3 people. I am right behind you in that I am getting the hell out of dodge as soon as possible!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 05:52 PM

Be worried!! It is clannish and oppressive!! I have hated every minute of my three years here and I am moving out as soon as I can!!!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Yac

5,923 posts, read 6,516,070 times
Remember to calm down before you post, please. Prove other posters wrong instead of attacking them.
Yac.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:26 PM

32 posts, read 100,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteJ View Post
Be worried!! It is clannish and oppressive!! I have hated every minute of my three years here and I am moving out as soon as I can!!!
Stop slandering our city. You live IN WAYNESBORO, that is NOT STAUNTON, not even close. If I lived in Waynesboro, I'd probably be bitter like you. Staunton is a growing city with increasing cultural attractions and a changing population. Right now there is a significant migration from both Charlottesville/Richmond and the DC area to Staunton and Augusta County, which is rapidly changing the dynamic of the area. One need only look towards the downtown area, with the recent opening of two high end restaurants which wouldn't have survived even 2 years ago.

The area is becoming increasingly diverse, but the city proper is FAR more diverse than the surrounding county. The city (in my opinion) is still somewhat segregated, unfortunately, with northern areas being predominately white while the city's southern and western neighborhoods are much more racially diverse (several are majority black). Staunton actually has one of the larger African American communities in the western area of the state (second to Roanoke), so there are multiple community activities celebrating that (African American Heritage Festival to name one).

Politically, the city proper is actually about a 50-50 split. In the 2006 Senate elections, the city tilted slightly to the right towards Kilgore, while in 2005 now Gov Tim Kaine, a Democrat, won the city. Traditionally, the city itself had been much more conservative, but this is changing with the new influx of people from more urban areas. The surrounding county is MUCH MUCH more conservative. Typically 2/3 to 3/4 of the county residents vote Republican.

The city schools leave a lot to be desired. Test scores are typically below state averages, and teacher salaries are WELL below state averages. As a graudate of the public school system and having two siblings still entrenched there, I can tell you that the school environment in the middle and high schools is fairly rowdy and occasionally dangerous. Gangs and gang violence have risen dramatically during the past 5 years, infiltrating schools and creating lots of problems. The city's elementary schools are in fairly good shape, with three of them receiving a significant makeover during the past few years. However, the middle and high schools are in a downward trend. One of the upsides of the city school system is its diversity, as almost a third of the school system is non-white.

The county schools are typically stronger academically, but lack the diversity of the city schools. Staunton, Waynesboro, and Augusta County schools all share one magnet school that focuses on Math, Science, Technology, and the Arts. This school is exceptionally well funded and offers college curriculum to high-achieving high school students.

Crime in the area as a whole is typically infrequent and non-violent. In the city itself, it depends on where you live. Some neighborhoods are infested with crime and deal with drug and violence issues on a daily basis. Other neighborhoods are essentially crime-free. The local newspaper provides an online crime map, so you can see for yourself: http://www.newsleader.com/apps/pbcs....ategory=COPS01 As I mentioned previously, gangs are on the rise in the area, but they are not yet to the point of creating widespread problems and social disruption. Police in all three local jurisdictions have been attempting to deal with the problem, and the public is becoming aware of this growing concern. Drug use has been and continues to be a problem in some areas. Meth use had reached critical levels during the past couple years, but that seems to be declining some.

As a whole, the Staunton area is a fairly nice place to live and grow up. It could use more things to do for all ages, but this is changing. What was a mostly blue-collar town is becoming more diverse.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:14 PM

I live in Staunton, NOT Waynesboro!! So read what I wrote before you write something false.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:56 PM

Races in Staunton:

White Non-Hispanic (82.7%)
Black (14.0%)
Two or more races (1.6%)
Hispanic (1.1%)
American Indian (0.6%)
Other race (0.5%)

Old 04-07-2007, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 72,284 times
Default bashing

Wow, reading these threads I can see a lot of bashing going on towards yvettej.
I can see her points and I can also see other people's points. I think that it's a matter of the individual's own personal experiences. I can agree with yvettej about the lack of diversity and the cliqueishness (sp?) that goes on. I too have experienced this, but I too have also met some nice people here. I don't think we should gang up on people's personal views though as (senior) did by stating that yvettej was making rash generalizations. Obviously, she has had some negative experiences that are probably valid and we need to remain as open minded as we can when reading other people's viewpoints.

That's just my 2 cents, can we all get along now?

Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 PM

32 posts, read 100,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteJ View Post
I live in Staunton, NOT Waynesboro!! So read what I wrote before you write something false.
Uh what are you talking about, you said this just a few posts ago:

Quote:
My husband and I moved to Waynesboro (just east of Staunton) a few years ago from Western North Carolina.
Plus, its not "VERY VERY CONSERVATIVE". Perhaps Augusta County and Waynesboro are, but Staunton is not.

Here are the results from Staunton for the 2005 Governor's election:

Candidates Party Vote Totals: Percentage
T M Kaine Democratic 3,384 49.99%
J W Kilgore Republican 3,112 45.97%
H R Potts Jr Independent 270 3.99%
Write Ins 3 0.04%

W T Bolling Republican 3,773 58.06%
L L Byrne Democratic 2,721 41.87%
Write Ins 5 0.08%

R C Deeds Democratic 3,519 53.51%
R F McDonnell Republican 3,056 46.47%
Write Ins 1 0.02%

Now let's look at Augusta County:

J W Kilgore Republican 12,197 63.12%
T M Kaine Democratic 6,395 33.09%
H R Potts Jr Independent 721 3.73%
Write Ins 12 0.06%

W T Bolling Republican 13,394 70.94%
L L Byrne Democratic 5,477 29.01%
Write Ins 9 0.05%

R F McDonnell Republican 11,638 61.21%
R C Deeds Democratic 7,370 38.76%
Write Ins 5 0.03%

..and Waynesboro:

J W Kilgore Republican 2,596 51.92%
T M Kaine Democratic 2,223 44.46%
H R Potts Jr Independent 181 3.62%
Write Ins 0 0.00%

W T Bolling Republican 2,890 59.36%
L L Byrne Democratic 1,973 40.52%
Write Ins 6 0.12%

R F McDonnell Republican 2,653 54.20%
R C Deeds Democratic 2,236 45.68%
Write Ins 6 0.12%

Seems like quite a material difference in voting patterns between Staunton and Wboro/Aug County. Thus, someone CLAIMING they live inside the Staunton city limits while actually living in Aug County or Waynesboro would have an incomplete view of what goes on there.

The city isn't the most diverse in the world, but school system demographics show that there is more diversity (about 1/3 is non-white). The city has an unusually large 65+ population (avg age of the city is 40), who are predominately white. IMO the city needs to start targeting younger professionals, but ya gotta have more job growth first. The city's housing stock, however, is exploding. 1,000+ new plots were approved in 2005, and more in 2006.

Last edited by pazzo83; 04-08-2007 at 10:42 PM..

Old 04-12-2007, 08:24 PM

Default pazzo

Well there was a glitch, because A: I am NOT married and I did NOT post that even though it is under my name. B: I do live in Staunton and have lived here for three years, so I DO know what it is like living in the city limits here, in fact I live downtown.
So I CAN back up what I have said because of my own personal experiences, so PLEASE do not undermine what I have stated as far as living in Staunton because I LIVE IN STAUNTON.

What you read PAZZO, was a quote that I pasted into my response as I did mention below the quote that I agreed with them 200%. Are we clear as mud now??

Oh and thanks Kissy for giving me a break from getting pummled by the people who are offended because I said a negative comment about "their" city. This is a forum and I AM entitled to my opinion no matter how UNPOPULAR it seems to be. So kisses to PAZZO

Have a GREAT day!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or