U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 03:52 PM

223 posts, read 977,414 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if it's worth a trip from NC to Masanutten? Wondering if there might be more snow up that way, and also if the runs are decent.
We are intermediate level skiiers, so we don't need super challenging, but would like something beyond icy bunny hills.
How does it compare to Snowshoe in W.VA, or some of the ski resorts in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 08:36 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,778,527 times
"Mass a' nothing" is nothing compared to Snowshoe, but then again, Snowshoe is the best skiing in the mid-atlantic. I would not make a trip more than 2 hours for Massanutten. Wintergreen isn't much better. There really isn't good skiing in Virginia. Your best bet is to head to West VA. If Snowshoe is out of your budget, try Canaan Valley or Timberline. Back in college, I use to ski Winterplace a lot (right of I-77), but that was often very icy (especially at night - which is when I would go b/c they had $10 student lift tickets - lol)

Old 02-04-2007, 10:47 AM

223 posts, read 977,414 times
Thanks for your response, rubytue. It's kind of what I suspected about Mass ..(like that "a nothing" , lol).
We have been to Snowshoe and enjoyed it. Cost-wise it was pretty much comparable to most places in the mid-atlantic/southeast, so that is not a problem. It's just a long drive and thought there might be something as good closer.
The ski resorts in our NC mtns. are very pretty, but condition-wise are not as good as Snowshoe. Guess we just gotta get on that plane and head West for some real skiing!

Old 02-04-2007, 01:28 PM

84 posts, read 527,343 times
Go to Snowshoe...also, try ski.com and think about heading west during spring break times the rates are fabulous!!!

Old 02-04-2007, 08:31 PM

You should seriously consider Canaan Valley/Timberline, the snow is almost as good as snowshoe, and lodging around there is a bit cheaper (b/c its not all snowshoe monopoly. Canaan Valley is a state park with a set of ski slopes, and Timberline is a commercial place. Its more like snowshoe was 10-15 years ago, before it was bought out by the Colorado resort people and turned into a little Brekenridge. But, as an intermediate skier, I find its more to my taste. I've been skiing since I was 10 (so, um, 20+ years), but I'm not a fan of expert slopes. Snowshoe is graded more like Colorado, and while I can do it, I prefer slightly gentler stuff (I've done Cupp Run without and wipeouts or anything, but I took a 2 hour nap afterward - LOL). Anyway, just my opinion

Old 02-05-2007, 06:12 AM

Rubytue......have you been out west?? If so, I'd love to hear your input on comparing Cananan/Timberline to that area. My boys having been skiing since they were 4....they're now 9, 12, 13.....all very good skiers, the oldest is now a snowboarder as am I. (NO, not the kind that tries to wipe everyone else out!!!......just my preference for getting down the slopes and protecting my knees!!). My hubbie is probably easily a black slope skier on the east, and most of the west slopes. We've been to Whitetail alot and like it...but it's small. We went to Snowshoe and weren't overly impressed due to the crowds, and it's so darn hard to get to!!!....Would LOVE to find a new area to tackle!!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 06:22 PM

I've only been skiing out west once (been to Brekeridge and Vail in the summer). I skied Keystone. I took a lesson (my first in 15 years - LOL, but I had heard it helps a LOT out there b/c the ski instructors work with all levels, whereas around here they are mostly teaching newbies). I learned a lot in the lesson, so that was a couple hours well spent. Then, I spent the rest of my time on the green slopes, and that was just fine. Not the "bunny hill" version of the greens, but the longer greens. Some of them would take 45 minutes to get down. Its a completely different beast out there, mostly due to the existance of snow. Mid-atlantic skiing is mostly ice.

Cannaan Valley/Timberline areas aren't quite as challengine as Snowshoe (and nothing like out west), but they are less crowded than Snowshoe, and Cannaan Valley in particular is very family friendly. I use to get a bunch of friends together every year for a ski trip, and we would alternate between Wisp and Snowshoe. We tried Timberline the last year we went, and everyone enjoyed it. However, we didn't have the hard core skiers with us that year. I actually tried to learn snowboarding again that year, but I wasn't too successful. I want to learn (b/c I don't want to blow out my knees), so maybe I'll try again sometime.

When was the last time you went out to Snowshoe? Given you said Whitetail, I'm assuming you are in the DC area? They have been working on a new highway connecting 81 to the ski areas. Canaan Valley is pretty close to that road, and I think it will cut a lot of time off the trip to Snowshoe too. But again, its been 3 years since I was out there.

This has me motivated. I wonder if I can convince my husband to play hooky on Friday and hit Whitetail or Liberty.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:55 AM

We went to Snowshoe Xmas 2005. This year we went to Breckenridge ....very nice!!! When I was learning to snowboard, a couple of things really helped. I wore volleyball knee pads on both knees under my ski pants!!! And I wore elbow pads, and one elbow pad in between my buttocks!!! I know....sounds silly, but helped....also helmet, helmet, helmet.....Whitetail may be crowded on Friday as they have a couple of schools that go there on Friday. Just an FYI. Also, snowboarding, concentrate on lifting your toes in your boots, up for heel side, down for toe side.....I got GREAT tips at Steamboat along these lines....but still, this year at Breck I caught my toeside going down a lonnnnnnnnngggg blue, hit face first HARD....thought I'd broke my nose, but just badly bruised.....boy did I look good!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia