Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Virginia: cost of living, housing, horse farm for sale, nurse degree, real estate, market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:38 AM

474 posts, read 1,259,779 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been reading the posts here with a great deal of interest and it seems everyone is very helpful and truthful.

My husband and I have got to relocate out of New Jersey as soon as possible. Besides the extremely high cost of living in this state, it is impossible to buy any kind of decent housing, especially what we are looking for. We would like a place with a few acres for horses, wooded trails to walk/ride in (I love the woods) and be able to see the stars at night without too many streetlights getting in my way.

We do love culture, so it would be nice to have some museums, theatres etc. within a reasonable distance. Also libraries as we both love to read and spend hours surrounded by books.

We do not have children, so are not concerned about schools. I am disabled with a neuro-muscular condition. My doctor has told me that I need to reduce the stressors in my life (these are mainly of the relative variety and also seeing my once beloved state being paved over with housing developments), so I yearn for the peace, quiet and serenity of nature.

We love animals, and have a horse, dog and parrot at present. Due to the fact that most of a settlement we got from a lawsuit is being unfairly taken away by the IRS and our attorneys fees (it's considered income--not the partial restitution that it really is ), we can only afford something in the $100,000 - $150,000 range. So I guess our choices are limited.

My husband is an LPN (for over 30 years) so I'm hoping that his job chances will be good. He does nursing agency work, but unfortunately the agency he works for does not have much of a presence in Virginia, although others do. I know he will take quite a salary cut but the lower cost of living will more then make up for what we are paying just to get by here in NJ.

Someone has also recommended Kentucky, so we are of course open to any suggestions.

Thank you in advance. I have been doing some web research and have found a place called Martinsville, which seems to have a bit of everything we are looking for. Even a Natural History Museum, which interests me a great deal!

P.S. We really do not have the finances nor the time to travel around too much to check out areas, as we really should do. So, as in most cases in life, we have to take our chances. So hopefully some folks here can be of assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 08:48 AM

291 posts, read 1,360,486 times
I am looking into Midlothian, Va myself...it is suppose to offer affordable homes that are not "shoeboxes"...if you want 1500 sq or more that is. For us, 1100 just doesn't cut it, but that is what we got for our income anyhow here. Midlothian was also rated as one of the top places to live last year in America. I am def. checking it out!

I also have many health issues like yourself and it is important for us to keep stress free as else we face some serious problems, so your headed in the right direction here, I wish you well. Anne.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:42 AM

213 posts, read 1,020,345 times
your price range and desired amenties are in conflict - you will have to choose your priorities. a few acres of land and a house for 100-150K would be VERY rural - not close to libraries or other amenties, in the southeastern part of the state. i love deltaville/tappahnnock areas, but even in those ommunities it will be hard.

you might start by using a housing listing website, something like www.realtor.com (broken link) enter the zip code(s) of the ares you are considering along with your price range and see what comes up. then post again once you have narrowed it down some.

try also franklin, smithfield, urbana, emporia, south boston - basically anyplace 45 miles from any city center. i wish it was better news, unfortunately in the housing market a fews acres of land, house and close to facilities for 100-150 is tough.

The IRS may not be our fav government agency, taxes are a way of life, if the IRS is wrongly (you used the word "unfairly" so I am not sure) taxing your settlement you should be able to addess this - or are they actually following the tax code (it IS income) and you just don't like it? if you think it is "unfair" and in fact it is legal know that Va has state income tax and property tax - take that into consideration - you may want to search for a state with less taxes.

henrico's dr hospital in richmond area is among the highest paying for nurses in the area. if you husband would/could get his RN you might be able to live in the outskirts of west point - maybe glynns. charming area - not much else, go into richmond or williamsburg for movies, shopping, restaurants, etc.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:58 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
Originally from NJ myself (Morris County) and the place sure has changed since I grew up. Have lived in the Virginia suburbs of DC for some 30 years now, but it's really the very same thing. Lots of construction (some good, some bad) and the cost of living is really no different here either. Reading your wants/needs, another place you might want to consider is West Virginia. There are some tax advantages to jumping over the border, land isn't quite as pressured there, and much of eastern WVA is within an hour's drive or so of the DC area. Another idea might be in Maryland along the I-95 corridor between DC and Baltimore. There are still some quiet, rural-like areas there, and yet you're still within a relatively easy drive of the facilities offered by two cities. Can't be all bad.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:39 AM

474 posts, read 1,259,779 times
Default Not Very Promising

Well, I am so happy to see replies to my post but very depressed as well. I should have mentioned I had ruled out Northern Virginia, realizing it is part of the DC metro area and thus very expensive, crowded etc.

I am getting more and more depressed the longer I look. About the taxes--the issue was predatory lenders who committed fraud against both us and the FHA and HUD. Lost our home to them, which is why I say "restitution". Taxing victims of fraud makes us victims all over again, especially when we saw less then half of the settlement amount as "net".
We are looking into hiring a tax attorney to see what can be done about this.

That's why we are so desperate to get out of NJ, where we are just getting poorer and poorer due to the high cost of living.

And about property taxes--the rental we are in is taxed at $4200 a year. It is not unusual to see property taxes here of $8000, so a lot of people here are "jumping ship", so to speak.

I had never heard of Midlothian so will check up on that. The stress is killing me. Perhaps Kentucky would be better??

Thanks...I don't know what to do but we need to make a change, fast. Our present situation is affecting my hubby and I very badly.

BTW, 45 minutes away isn't bad. We could live with that, I'm sure. We lived in South Dakota for a time and it was 62 miles to the nearest mall, or anyplace more then a shopping strip.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:53 AM

291 posts, read 1,360,486 times
Default Hey...

It can get better, sure your stuck in a bad state for now, but you can change things, and your life can improve too. I can help you with the stress thingie, email me...I have alot of health problems and there are things you can do, that can help you. I am not selling anything and have no vested interest here. I have been where you are and in some degree I am stilll am but I also think I can help here. Your screen name does not really give an ample view of who you are here either..something else I would like to discuss with you as well. Email me if you want. Anne

Old 02-04-2007, 12:11 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,186,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
And about property taxes--the rental we are in is taxed at $4200 a year.
I live in Franklin County, VA. Just South of Roanoke, VA. The property tax rate here is $0.53/$100 so in other words, a $4,200 annual tax bill would be for property valued at approximately $800,000. Which here - for example - might be a gorgeous 4,500 square foot house on a lake, or a gorgeous 6,000 square foot house in a golf course subdivision.

I would not recommend Martinsville. Real estate prices are severely depressed because Henry Couny is in tough economic shape and the population is shrinking rapidly due to job losses. It will eventually stabilize but I don't think it's there yet. Best to avoid it for the time being given your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
BTW, 45 minutes away isn't bad. We could live with that, I'm sure. We lived in South Dakota for a time and it was 62 miles to the nearest mall, or anyplace more then a shopping strip.
Don't get depressed. You have many options. I would strongly suggest you consider my area. Here, there is a healthy economy for those in the healthcare profession. There are ALWAYS open LPN positions in the Carilion Healthcare network, which is where I would suggest your husband investigate. Carilion is in the beginning of a major growth phase demand for healthcare workers will only increase. There are many other employers including Blue Ridge Behavioral Health Care, and a variety of retirement communities growing and in need of good LPNs.

Insofar as real estate is concerned, if you were willing to travel 30-45 minutes to work, then you could find a modest 3 bedroom home that is in good condition, on a few acres of land, some of which would be suitable for a horse, for about $105K. By modest I mean something structurally sound, with no major areas of needed repair, with 3 bedrooms and about 1,000 square feet. Your options improve if you spend closer to $150K.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better place in Virginia for your desired balance between lifestyle and economic opportunity than Franklin County. One national park, one state park, three lakes, access to the blue ridge parkway, a thriving community of horse people and nature lovers and 20-45 minute to Roanoke. Insofar as the arts are concerned, we have the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra, which is a favorite of mine. In addition to frequent symphonies, they regularly join up with notable artists for performances, like Aaron Neville and Michael McDonald. We also have the Mill Mountain Theatre, a highly regarded performance group that offers frequent performances. Insofar as Roanoke museums, there is the Museum of Transportation, the Science Museum of Western Virginia, the Art Museum of Western Virginia, an several more. The newly constructed Franklin County public library is a very nice library right on Main Street in Rocky Mount (the county seat), offering internet access also. Right next door to the library is the Franklin Center for Technology, being constructed as we speak. It's an $8M facility to help Franklin County adults re-train for the new technology economy. The town has a thriving main street community and has a wonderful open air farmer's market.

Also, I should not neglect to mention thhe Roanoke Valley Therapeutic Riding center. You could volunteer there, it's on Naff Road. It's well supported by volunteers and sponsors. They have lots of riding students with special needs. Recently, I donated 1,000 feet of 3 rail vinyl fence to them along with 100 bales of hay.

I would strongly urge your husband to search Roanoke's LPN job market. Bookmark jobs.roanoke.com - the Roanoke Times job classifieds site.

Sean

Old 02-04-2007, 03:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
I live in Franklin County, VA. Just South of Roanoke, VA. The property tax rate here is $0.53/$100 so in other words, a $4,200 annual tax bill would be for property valued at approximately $800,000. Which here - for example - might be a gorgeous 4,500 square foot house on a lake, or a gorgeous 6,000 square foot house in a golf course subdivision.

I would not recommend Martinsville. Real estate prices are severely depressed because Henry Couny is in tough economic shape and the population is shrinking rapidly due to job losses. It will eventually stabilize but I don't think it's there yet. Best to avoid it for the time being given your needs.

Don't get depressed. You have many options. I would strongly suggest you consider my area. Here, there is a healthy economy for those in the healthcare profession. There are ALWAYS open LPN positions in the Carilion Healthcare network, which is where I would suggest your husband investigate. Carilion is in the beginning of a major growth phase demand for healthcare workers will only increase. There are many other employers including Blue Ridge Behavioral Health Care, and a variety of retirement communities growing and in need of good LPNs.

Insofar as real estate is concerned, if you were willing to travel 30-45 minutes to work, then you could find a modest 3 bedroom home that is in good condition, on a few acres of land, some of which would be suitable for a horse, for about $105K. By modest I mean something structurally sound, with no major areas of needed repair, with 3 bedrooms and about 1,000 square feet. Your options improve if you spend closer to $150K.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better place in Virginia for your desired balance between lifestyle and economic opportunity than Franklin County. One national park, one state park, three lakes, access to the blue ridge parkway, a thriving community of horse people and nature lovers and 20-45 minute to Roanoke. Insofar as the arts are concerned, we have the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra, which is a favorite of mine. In addition to frequent symphonies, they regularly join up with notable artists for performances, like Aaron Neville and Michael McDonald. We also have the Mill Mountain Theatre, a highly regarded performance group that offers frequent performances. Insofar as Roanoke museums, there is the Museum of Transportation, the Science Museum of Western Virginia, the Art Museum of Western Virginia, an several more. The newly constructed Franklin County public library is a very nice library right on Main Street in Rocky Mount (the county seat), offering internet access also. Right next door to the library is the Franklin Center for Technology, being constructed as we speak. It's an $8M facility to help Franklin County adults re-train for the new technology economy. The town has a thriving main street community and has a wonderful open air farmer's market.

Also, I should not neglect to mention thhe Roanoke Valley Therapeutic Riding center. You could volunteer there, it's on Naff Road. It's well supported by volunteers and sponsors. They have lots of riding students with special needs. Recently, I donated 1,000 feet of 3 rail vinyl fence to them along with 100 bales of hay.

I would strongly urge your husband to search Roanoke's LPN job market. Bookmark jobs.roanoke.com - the Roanoke Times job classifieds site.

Sean
Sean, you're a one man Chamber of Commerce

Good job with all this info. I was going to suggest your neck of the woods to the poster also, but you have said far more than I could have!

Old 02-04-2007, 05:04 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,186,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sean, you're a one man Chamber of Commerce
Thanks. I enjoy this site - it's fun to share what I've learned and answer questions. In answering questions I often research online about my own area, so I learn more during the process also.

Cheers,

Sean

Old 02-04-2007, 07:38 PM

101 posts, read 355,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
Thanks. I enjoy this site - it's fun to share what I've learned and answer questions. In answering questions I often research online about my own area, so I learn more during the process also.

Cheers,

Sean
Sean has helped me tremendously. I think he is quite an asset here.
I hope to be moving to his neck-of-the-woods soon as well, just a little further west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia