U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2007, 06:48 PM

13 posts, read 40,215 times
Default Any 'Bedford Falls' Types of Towns Left?

I am looking to move to a 'Bedford Falls' from It's a Wonderful Life type of town. Good people, Main Street w/ possible Town Square. A place where people actually do 'Neighborly Things' and where kids can grow up without the ghettoness of Chicago.

Do such places still exist? I've been told of Seneca Falls, New York. I'm also looking for towns in other states.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 08:26 PM

41 posts, read 112,435 times
darned if I know Chris. Everyone thinks their town is wonderful. My daughter wants to move to Sleepy Hollow, CT. they have what you describe, they show it every week on The Gilmore Girls.

I'll be curious to follow this thread to see what other ppl think. I'd like to move to that kind of town too.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:59 PM

9 posts, read 18,583 times
ahh, I dont think Bedford Falls was REAL, was it? :0

I think there are a lot of small towns that do small town stuff. I know my little Bedford City, Va. does. This weekend is Centerfest with things going on all day Saturday for all ages. I moved here from a larger city. It takes some getting used to. First, you have to be ready to get out there and make your life happen. There is a lot to be said for being and feeling safe. We feel safe here--we moved because of crime where we were. You can drive to find the more metropolitan things to do. For the everyday life of getting your kids through their childhood and ready for college,I think you cant go too wrong with a smaller town. Just be ready for less diversity in everything:religion, ethnicity,medical care, restaurants. You just wont find the choices here that a big city can give you.But, you can always commute as we do for many of those things.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:00 PM

9 posts, read 18,583 times
Oh yeah, I almost forgot: I think our weather is a lot milder than Seneca Falls!

Old 09-29-2007, 05:30 PM

1,955 posts, read 3,019,887 times
I think this sort of topic has come up before. What small towns have a picturesque well-preserved historic downtown without a lot of tourist trappings? Another quality would be a nearby natural attraction like mountains, lakes, or a major river. Bristol might qualify.

Twin Cities with no Boundaries

Old 10-10-2007, 05:19 AM

2,032 posts, read 3,926,600 times
Default Its a Wonderful Life

I have seen that movie countless times myself and I have often wished I had grown up during that era. It was a much easier, gentler way of living than today(although some may disagree). Today, with cell phones, the internet, cable tv, long work schedules, split families, etc this type of lifestyle has ended everywhere. There are many delightful little towns around the Roanoke region that look like Bedford Falls at least. Bedford VA is quaint, Buena Vista is friendly and I had a total stranger wave at me recently. Lexington, Staunton, Waynesboro, Abingdon are also similar. Explore the small towns they are all unique.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:16 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,765,028 times
I agree with the Bristol/Abingdon area, esp. Abingdon. Very quaint, complete with sidewalks, historic buildings, small town charm and surrounded by mountains....with a variety of shopping and restaurants in nearby Bristol.

Roanoker4,I grew up in a Bedford Falls type of town in NW Ohio and miss it, though at the time I couldn't wait to get out to live somewhere where there "was more to do". What I wouldn't give to have that safe, comfortable, utopian childhood back! The 50's were a simpler, slower-moving era when people seemed to care more about one another and everyone had morals and scruples. Today's technology has taken the "humanness" out of people!

Old 10-14-2007, 08:08 AM

2,032 posts, read 3,926,600 times
Default Its A Wonderful Life

In many ways life in Bedford Falls was vastly superior ! Despite our "progress" in technology I can say now I can watch a big screen t.v. and program an ipod! What advancement!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw all of these young people waiting overnite to buy the latest cellphone!!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:27 AM

7,556 posts, read 10,670,430 times
You two bring up very valid points. Of course history is a generous editor. The 50s also featured McCarthyism, diseases, the sometimes violent end of Jim Crow and other unpleasantries.

But yea, it still looks pretty good.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:57 AM

8 posts, read 32,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
... There are many delightful little towns around the Roanoke region that look like Bedford Falls at least. Bedford VA is quaint, Buena Vista is friendly and I had a total stranger wave at me recently. Lexington, Staunton, Waynesboro, Abingdon are also similar. Explore the small towns they are all unique.
Waynesboro has a gang problem- Crips and Bloods. It's still in its infancy. But the national organizations are trying to get a foothold in the region.

Staunton would be much larger than the film's Bedford Falls, but Lexington might be a candidate. I'd probably also recommend any small town/city in southern (not southwestern) parts of Virginia (Caveat- which also have an decent internet presence).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia