U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 07:22 PM

143 posts, read 699,683 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious to see what's going on in Williamsburg in terms of development.

Is the new mall under construction? If, so do you know what stores are going in?

Have they begun work on the Pottery Factory?

What else is happening in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 09:05 AM

1,154 posts, read 3,425,717 times
They are building a new shopping center in York County Near Water Country, So far the only announced tenants are Target & JC Penney. Others are forthcoming.

Villages of Whitehall in the western end of the county will be a 500+ home subdivsion near Anderson's Corner.

New Town is only 1/3 built there is much more to come.

Prime Outlets is being expanded, they bought the nearby Food Lion shopping center and the Motel that adjoined it.

There is a New development going in behind The Candle Factory in Toano both retail and residential.

Townhomes are being built in Norge right off of Rt 60.

The Pottery project has not been approved. They intemd to replace all of the building on the Rt 60 side of the railroad tracks with new upscale shops.

75 single family homes and 10 condos are approved in Norge near the elementary school. off of Rt 60.

Centex just bought a huge tract of land from Colonial Williamsburg near the Bypass Rd & Waller Mill. Not sure how many homes will be built there.

I will try to do another post with WIlliamsburg, James City Co construction updates later tonight. There are quite a few more.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:56 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,109,014 times
Williamsburg has Newton Shopping Center, but thats been there quite a while. Theres some new development along 1-99

Williamsburg got a Ukrop's a few years ago which was quite a big deal, since Ukrop's has expanded from just Richmond into Williamsburg and also Fredericksburg.

Still, Williamsburg hasnt changed a whole lot in the last 20 years.

Except for the whole Wren Chapel cross thing, which I wont even go into.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:14 AM

213 posts, read 917,283 times
I think Williamsburg has changed drastically in the last 20 years - even in the last 10, 5,..

It is New Town - about 14 mos old, still being developed, in James City County. (JCC)

High street, in the City will be another mixed-use urban/walking development, starting construction now.

A lot of new development in York County (YC) in area of 199 & 64 (not the 199 & 64 area of JCC). The hospital moved to this area, Home Depot, lowe's, super wal-mart and all the assorted businesses that go along with these types. williamsburg ford moved, ferguson moved, add the entire new shopping center where HD is. MAJOR development in last 5 yeears.

when people refer to "Williamsburg" in general it covers the City of Williamsburg (VERY small both in population and geography) JCC and parts of YC. All of these, and a part of Charles City County have Williamsburg mailing addresses.

we are growing rapidly and it would be hard pressed for anyone to say it is the same as it was 20, or even 10 years ago.

in the last 20 years just in housing gov land & ford's colony all new, kingsmill doubled, colonial heritage, powhatan subdivisions, La Fontaine, etc, etc, etc all new.

now, if you wore blinders and stopped on duke of gloucester street and removed them you could say it hasc't changed much - for about 1/2 mile.

new schools, new post offices. so much growth. it is a challenge

Old 02-10-2007, 10:30 AM

I was refering to the area around Colonial Williamsburg. Yes, Metro Williamsburg has changed remarkably. But around the college and Richmond Rd towards the Pottery, its still pretty much the same.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:18 PM

213 posts, read 917,283 times
wow vasinger, when was the last time you were in Williamsburg? Even CW has changed a lot in the past years - like I said, maybe for about 1/2 mile from DOG Street it will look the same - the changes are subtle enough. Even merchant's square, The Lodge, The Inn, almost all CW places have changed. Richmond Road to the pottery not changed? Every fast food franchise is here - 20 years ago I could ride my bike in one lane. So much has changed, and so rapidly that anyone who hasn't been in CW for 3 years comments - even the College erected on jamestwon Road the new dorms - how can you miss them? OIn the other side of the campus Richmond Roas in the city has undergone drastic changes, Suter's furniture, walgreen's, widening.

I'm sure if you do visit you will notice the changes. Amazing the growth.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsburgfan View Post
wow vasinger, when was the last time you were in Williamsburg? Even CW has changed a lot in the past years - like I said, maybe for about 1/2 mile from DOG Street it will look the same - the changes are subtle enough. Even merchant's square, The Lodge, The Inn, almost all CW places have changed. Richmond Road to the pottery not changed? Every fast food franchise is here - 20 years ago I could ride my bike in one lane. So much has changed, and so rapidly that anyone who hasn't been in CW for 3 years comments - even the College erected on jamestwon Road the new dorms - how can you miss them? OIn the other side of the campus Richmond Roas in the city has undergone drastic changes, Suter's furniture, walgreen's, widening.

I'm sure if you do visit you will notice the changes. Amazing the growth.
Well I did a show there on First Night at the Daily Grind. It seemed to me like it was when my brother went to school there in the late 80s.

But then again, i dont live in Williamsburg, so maybe my perspective is different. I do visit at least twice a month, since my sis lives there. She said it has changed. Most of what I see is a few new stores around Richmond Rd but Im not aware of the infastructure of CW as much

My sis used to work for CW but she was let go as were several others. The guy they have in charge now is very incompetent from what I hear.

The Pottery- now thats something that really I notice has changed. Its like its dead over there. Or just not as popular as it was.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:46 AM

This was from a Gazette article back in 2005. The project is about 1.5 miles from Colonial Williamsburg, Va.
WILLIAMSBURG --A Virginia Beach developer thinks it's the perfect location. Wermers Development Inc.'s request, to build townhouses and houses priced from mid-$300,000 to $500,000, got a nod from city leaders Wednesday when the Planning Commission voted for the project unanimously.Before the plan can proceed, City Council also must consider rezoning a 14-acre property along Quarterpath Road.The proposal to build 41 houses and 36 townhouses on property purchased from the Paparis family - who have owned the land for more than 60 years - fits into the city's plan to redevelop the area. It's down the street from the 358 acres purchased last year by Riverside Health Systems for a health and medical complex.The new development in Williamsburg will have a one-acre park and narrow, tree-lined streets.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:48 AM

143 posts, read 699,683 times
Mr Williamsburg,

Do you have any info on the new North Carolina developer that purchased Stonehouse and their intentions?

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:46 AM

According to County records it was sold to Stonehouse Green Land Sub LLC whose address is 50 North Water St, Norwalk, Ct 06854. I haven't heard anything about their intentions. It indicated they paid $76 million for the parcel. (wow !) I will post if I hear anything else. There was a rezoning request back in 2004 or 05 . It has been deferred at this time.You may want to explore James City County website. You can see the status of current planning/ rezoning issues. You can also watch planning meetings on Cox cable or attend them if you live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or