Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 01:07 PM

4 posts, read 18,383 times

Advertisements

Are ther any fun and safe places to live around the Virginia Beach area? I'm looking to commute to Langley AFB and would only like about about a 20-25 minute commute, (if possible depending on traffic). But I am also looking for a place with a low crime rate, close by to the beach and just enough activities and events to have fun. Not so much as just bars, but good restaurants shopping, concerts, and whatever else. I know the VA Beach area is a little more expensive than other cities so that is a big consideration as well. I am from Northern VA but am currently stationed up in Montana right now and I would love to get back and away from the 9 months of winter up here. Anyone have any suggestions? Low crime, Fun city, and easy as possible commute to work, and I would love to be by the beach again. Is there such a place around that area? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 01:17 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
If your going to be working at Lanley AFB you would be better off concentrating your search on that side of the bridge. Traffic through the Naval Base area to the bridge tunnel can be bumper to bumper and double your trip time.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:32 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
If your going to be working at Lanley AFB you would be better off concentrating your search on that side of the bridge. Traffic through the Naval Base area to the bridge tunnel can be bumper to bumper and double your trip time.

Langley AFB is on the Penninsila (Northside).
This area includes Hampton, Newport News, Yorktown, Glouster, James City County and Williamsburg.

Va Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Portsmouth and Norfolk are on the Southside, across the bridges.

These areas are separated by the James River and to access either side you would need to travel through one of the 2 bridge tunnels or the James River Bridge.

Because the bridges tunnels see such an enormous amount of traffic, commuting through them is slow going. Save yourself a lot of headaches and time and look on the Northside.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:24 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,318 times
You will not get to Langley in 20-25 minutes from VA beach or most areas in Norfolk. I would suggest you look around areas in Hampton, NewPort News or Yorktown depending on what you are looking for and your price range. City Center downtown Hampton may be what you are looking for and both a reasonable distance to Langley with Hampton being just minutes away. Here ae a few web site..
City Center at Oyster Point - Newport News, Virginia

Downtown Hampton Development Partnership

Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,496 times
The prior three posters beat me to it, you don't want to have to make a comute from Va Beach to Hampton, and you can DEFINITELY! count out a 20-25 minute commute. Your from NoVa? so your use to some of the worst traffic in the country, well this may not be that, but very close!! Check out City Center Newport News, I see the last poster has already provided you with a link.

I have personally experienced drives from Newport News to Norfolk/Va Beach that have strecthed into an hour, an hour and a half, easily. The tunnel is no joke, I try to avoid it at all cost, it's ok for going over to the southside here and there, but for an everyday commute, not worth it.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sned5 View Post
Are ther any fun and safe places to live around the Virginia Beach area? I'm looking to commute to Langley AFB and would only like about about a 20-25 minute commute, (if possible depending on traffic). But I am also looking for a place with a low crime rate, close by to the beach and just enough activities and events to have fun. Not so much as just bars, but good restaurants shopping, concerts, and whatever else. I know the VA Beach area is a little more expensive than other cities so that is a big consideration as well. I am from Northern VA but am currently stationed up in Montana right now and I would love to get back and away from the 9 months of winter up here. Anyone have any suggestions? Low crime, Fun city, and easy as possible commute to work, and I would love to be by the beach again. Is there such a place around that area? Thanks for the help.
If you want an EASY commute to Langley, consider the apt complexes along Rt. 134 in Hampton as you get closer to York County. That area is pretty safe and getting to fun stuff is not that much of a chore.

Everyone is right on the tunnels in specific the HRBT. It is like doing the Woodrow Wilson Bridge from VA into MD at 4:30-5 in the afternoon. That's the last commute you want to do.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,296 times
Talking Hampton, Hampton, Hampton

Chat me up and I will tell you where in Hampton. It will take you 10 minutes to work. Your Hampton Realtor dot com. Free, I promise! The Olde Wythe neighborhood has some great views of the whole bay, and the best schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia