Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 8,495 times

Advertisements

OK...I was going 84 in a 60MPH limit right (at least that's what he said he read from his radar thing)...and It was a clear road and I was going back to school and trying to make it to an exam. Cop stopped me and said I was driving 84 at the top of the hill and slowed down to 73 when I saw him. In any case, he cited me as "Reckless by Speed". I felt like my life was over when he gave me the ticket (I somewhat still feel that way). I read all about the consequences on this forum and other sources and am reaching to the conclusion that I need a lawyer. So my question is, has anyone been in a similar situation and looked for a lawyer in Charlottesville, VA? If so, can you give me some good names? And can you give me a ball-park-estimate of how much these lawyers charge? And oh...I only have one other ticket for speeding like 2 years ago.....Thanks guys...I really need some sound advices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 11:36 AM

50 posts, read 173,600 times
I don't think you need a lawyer for this unless you have multiple infractions on your record and can't afford to have another ticket hit. Otherwise I would just go to court and you can try to argue your case yourself with the judge. Sometimes if you can make a good argument they will drop it to regular speeding. But I wouldn't waste the money on the lawyer. Just my .02

Old 10-02-2008, 10:41 PM

13 posts, read 157,899 times
unless you are wealthy there is no need to hire a lawyer. any speed 80mph or above even if the speed limit posted is 70 or 75, is considered reckless driving. you may not prepay it, you must appear in court, the best option is to appear in court in a professional manner and face the judge. at your expense it may be worth it to check the calibration on your speedometer to see if it is accurate and that may influence the courts decision otherwise with no likelyhood of the entire matter being dismissed is the possibility that the charge will be reduced to improper driving. that charge- improper driving may only be issued by a judge and thats what occures most often in court when ive issued a reckless driving summons. hiring a lawyer to get to the same end result as you would get when your were not otherwise represented makes no sense, thats even more cost to you. take driving school if offered and save on insurance too

Old 10-02-2008, 10:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i dont see a whole lota remorse in your post.
slow down.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:05 AM

2 posts, read 8,495 times
Default thanks

thanks for the advices all (including the person who told me to slow down-I agree with you except that I'm just not a reckless speeder). But keep the comments coming, I appreciate that. But yea, personally, I think this law is way too harsh; especially for someone like me who is graduating this year and is trying to get a job for after graduation. ("Reckless driving" due to speeding 20MPH over the limit is considered a crime in Virginia...hmm..I don't know about y'all but I found that a little strange.)

Old 10-09-2008, 10:48 PM

7 posts, read 42,447 times
You should get a lawyer, they can get your charge reduce to speeding. One of my friend just went to the Arlington court last week. He was doing 86 miles in in a 60MPH limit. And the judge dropped it to 73 miles. He got out of the court with the fine around 70 to 100 i don't remember the exactly number. By the way he paid 700 for the lawyer and took 2 classes for reckless driver and driving management behavior or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia