U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 12:34 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,127,890 times

Advertisements

I agree about Richmond- its a great place to live.

Its more reasonably priced than Northern Virginia. Although it is kinda pricey in some areas like River "Rivah" Rd and Westhampton.

But you just cant beat Monument Ave with the dogwoods and Magnolia trees and statues of the glorious Confederate Generals who gave their lives for our noble southern cause.

If you dont want the hassle of NOVA commute traffic, youd love Richmond's very mild rush hour.

You're within less than 2 hours of the ocean, the mountains, and if you must, 2 hours from D.C.

Richmond is a piece of heaven here on earth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 02:06 PM

46 posts, read 143,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr157 View Post
Hello!

I just moved AWAY from Northern Virginia (Centreville). TOOOO expensive with a MASSIVE commute because there are TOO MANY PEOPLE. The house builders throw buildings up anywhere there is a spare tree and a patch of grass. Townhouses are at least $300,000 and an actual house is around $400,000 to $500,000 for a normal person house. There are rich people houses as well, but I didn't even bother to look at those. Jobs are in good supply with DC within commuting range if you don't mind an hour or so one way. I don't know about schools, we don't have kids yet. We moved back to NH to have them.

Good parts: restaurants (Chipotle, Five Guys Hamburgers, and tons of others), shopping, close to DC culture, nice weather, dogwood and cherry blossom trees in spring.

Bad parts: Traffic, stupid housing and rental prices, trying to figure out how every other car is a Mercedes, a somewhat cold attitude from people. People can knock their car door into yours while you are standing there and NOT EVEN LOOK AT YOU. Centreville is not a quaint small town. There is no "down town" feel like a New England town has. And they do not know how to plow the 2 inches of snow they get so crazy people don't crash into each other. If snow is even forcasted for the next day, schools are automatically closed. My apartment rent was $1100/mo for 723 square foot second floor one bedroom apartment. And our truck got broken into in the apartment parking lot and my car actually got stolen from the local repair shop when they left the keys in it in their yard.

Some I talked to LOVED it, but I had to get back where "traffic" means other people happen to be driving on the same road you are driving on.
X2!

Do your family a favor and don't come this way. Learn from other people's mistakes.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:54 PM

689 posts, read 1,377,508 times
Default Former Iowan, now Virginian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABound-Help View Post
My wife and I are trying to "change the scenery" a little bit. We have both lived in the Midwest our entire lives. The midwest is fantastic, but we decided that we would like to explore other areas of the country.
Thanks for the input though!
Hi! I love Virginia, and hope to live out the rest of my life here, but please be ready for culture shock. The east coast is VERY different from the midwest. Give it a chance, it's worth it, and it's one of the most beautiful states in the union, but it can seem snobby and pretentious. Be prepared to talk a lot about where you went to school and what your parents did. That being said, there are a lot more transplants now, so some of that is fading. As far as areas go, I strongly recommend Richmond:

-- large city amenities with a small-town feel
-- good employment market
-- with several universities and large companies in the area there's an interesting mix of people
-- culturally diverse and interesting, with fabulous restaurants
-- 1 hour from the mountains, 1.5 hours from the beach, 2 hours from DC
-- you can get around town really easily even in rush hour
-- great schools in Chesterfield and western Henrico
-- easy to fly back to midwest
-- cost of living is still reasonable. Believe me, I just moved to northern VA, and would move back in a heartbeat!

Old 02-19-2007, 03:00 PM

689 posts, read 1,377,508 times
Sorry -- a few more thoughts. Richmond does have violence, but it's in pockets, localized to certain neighborhoods. My husband and I lived in several sketchy areas but never really felt unsafe. I moved to Richmond from a town close to Roanoke, and I would not move back to that area. Economically, it's not that strong. Especially if you're just starting out and want to put down roots. Richmond has a really vibrant 20s-40s population, with lots to do. And as kmflan says, Maymont and Lewis Ginter are not to be missed. The architecture is incredible and the historic neighborhoods are beautiful. It's a really good base for exploring the rest of the state and the east coast. And the weather is great! Oh, I totally agree tdekany -- avoid northern VA unless you're rich, really rich, or just don't mind unpleasant people. There's the anonymity of a big city here, but few of the benefits. It's super expensive, ridiculously congested, and a pain to do anything. We've not found anything here that we didn't have in Richmond, at twice the cost and four times the headaches.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:14 PM

46 posts, read 143,287 times
novanwbie - My sister in law lives in Richmond. A better choice for sure.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:10 PM

359 posts, read 1,699,277 times
LOL. yes, the east coast is very different from the midwest. When I first moved to Colorado from Va, I felt like I was in a different country. I have lived near KC for the last 12 years and now I am concerned about adjusting to eastcoast life again. There are things about both areas of th e country that I love and I wish I could marry them somehow.

One thing though, I can't wait to get to the beach!

Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,221 times
Default Moving to va

There is a web site called rentals.com you could start looking at the price ranges of housing and get a feel of where is cost suffiencent for you hope this help you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or