U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 PM

8 posts, read 68,047 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am looking to relocate to Virginia in the next 12-18 months. Does anyone have any tips on where to live? Maybe a good website to look at? I can't seem to find anything worthwhile. I just need a place to start looking.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 02:00 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,342,592 times
Any particular place in Virginia? This website is pretty informative and people can steer you in the right direction is they have some information about what in general you're looking for. A city, a suburb, a small town? What sort of climate is preferable? Do you need to be near water, the mountains, a military base, an airport? Do you have a family and are public schools important? Are you looking to buy a single family home and if so, how much are you looking to spend? Those questions should narrow down the choices within the state of Virginia for you .

Old 02-14-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Mid-to-Big Size City

I currently reside in Omaha,NE and the population is 300K in the city with approx 800K-1 million people in the metro area. I would like to look at some areas about this size. Any suggestions? My wife and I love a little bit of everything, mountains/beaches/shopping/GOLF!
A suburb would be ideal, but any tips are welcomed. As for housing, a ballpark figure would be 175K to 225K. Any good locations? We don't have children yet, but private schooling would be our preferance.
I appreciate any feedback about any communities.

Thanks!

Old 02-14-2007, 09:17 PM

213 posts, read 917,283 times
why are you moving to Va? I know people in your price range moving to the midwest!! All depends on your job situation I would think. Where will you be working - and how long are you willing to commute?

Old 02-14-2007, 11:09 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,342,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABound-Help View Post
I currently reside in Omaha,NE and the population is 300K in the city with approx 800K-1 million people in the metro area. I would like to look at some areas about this size. Any suggestions? My wife and I love a little bit of everything, mountains/beaches/shopping/GOLF!
A suburb would be ideal, but any tips are welcomed. As for housing, a ballpark figure would be 175K to 225K. Any good locations? We don't have children yet, but private schooling would be our preferance.

Thanks!
Based on housing costs and lifestyle preferences, I would steer you away from both Northern Virginia and the Hampton Roads regions, both more populous, congested and expensive than what you're looking for. I think the best match for you would be the Roanoke area. It's smaller as a whole than Omaha, both the city itself and the Metro area, but it offers a lot of urban amenities without being overwhelming. The city is a four-season climate, with less brutal winters than Nebraska, located in the mountains and a few hours (I believe three) from the beaches, and while I'm not 100% certain as to whether suburban housing prices fall within that price range, Roanoke is one of the cheapest locations in Virginia, at least not in an entirely rural area. I recommend researching Roanoke a bit, both on this board and off and seeing if it sounds to your liking. It seems that most everyone who lives there is pleased with the place. Best of luck!

Old 02-15-2007, 04:32 AM

1,341 posts, read 5,632,907 times
Quote:
Keeping in mind your budget for a home, I think one of your best options would be Roanoke, VA. The only potential issue is metro size. Roanoke City population is 90,000 and the Roanoke Metro area has +/- 240,000. To be near a metro area with 1,000,000 people you'd be looking at northern Virginia. However, everything else you're looking for can be found in the Roanoke Valley:

My two girls attend North Cross private school (http://www.northcross.org) (broken link). There is also a private catholic K12 school and a private christian K12 school (North Cross is secular). We live in Boones Mill, VA in Franklin County, just south of Roanoke. We're not in the suburbs, but rather on a 128 acre horse farm less than 25 minutes to downtown Roanoke. For $225K you could get a nice 3br home in one of Roanoke's historic neighborhoods or a house in the 'burbs outlying Roanoke. There are many golf courses in the Valley, and about an 45 minutes south you're at Smith Mountain Lake with, uh, let's just say, plenty of golf courses Plenty of boating and fishing too. There are four national fishing competitions scheduled on SML this year including two that will be televised on ESPN. As far as outdoor activities, you'll be retired before you run out of new things to do out of doors in Western Virginia! In fact, the 2006 U.S. Challenge (presented by Fortune Magazine) was held in Roanoke:

http://www.challengerworldresults.co...enge&year=2006

The U.S. Challenge is a televised team outdoors competition where teams are sent by close to a hundred corporations (Oracle, Microsoft, etc) and charities. It's a team building and charity benefit. The link above will provide event photos of the Roanoke area.

Prior to living in Boones Mill we lived in Blacksburg (home of Virginia Tech, about 40 minutes from Roanoke) and one of our neighbors was a family from Nebraska. The father is the director of the National Weather Service in Blacksburg. They love the area and I know you would too!

Sean

Old 02-15-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsburgfan View Post
why are you moving to Va? I know people in your price range moving to the midwest!! All depends on your job situation I would think. Where will you be working - and how long are you willing to commute?

My wife and I are trying to "change the scenery" a little bit. We have both lived in the Midwest our entire lives. The midwest is fantastic, but we decided that we would like to explore other areas of the country.
Thanks for the input though!

Old 02-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
Keeping in mind your budget for a home, I think one of your best options would be Roanoke, VA. The only potential issue is metro size. Roanoke City population is 90,000 and the Roanoke Metro area has +/- 240,000. To be near a metro area with 1,000,000 people you'd be looking at northern Virginia. However, everything else you're looking for can be found in the Roanoke Valley:

My two girls attend North Cross private school (http://www.northcross.org) (broken link). There is also a private catholic K12 school and a private christian K12 school (North Cross is secular). We live in Boones Mill, VA in Franklin County, just south of Roanoke. We're not in the suburbs, but rather on a 128 acre horse farm less than 25 minutes to downtown Roanoke. For $225K you could get a nice 3br home in one of Roanoke's historic neighborhoods or a house in the 'burbs outlying Roanoke. There are many golf courses in the Valley, and about an 45 minutes south you're at Smith Mountain Lake with, uh, let's just say, plenty of golf courses Plenty of boating and fishing too. There are four national fishing competitions scheduled on SML this year including two that will be televised on ESPN. As far as outdoor activities, you'll be retired before you run out of new things to do out of doors in Western Virginia! In fact, the 2006 U.S. Challenge (presented by Fortune Magazine) was held in Roanoke:

http://www.challengerworldresults.co...enge&year=2006

The U.S. Challenge is a televised team outdoors competition where teams are sent by close to a hundred corporations (Oracle, Microsoft, etc) and charities. It's a team building and charity benefit. The link above will provide event photos of the Roanoke area.

Prior to living in Boones Mill we lived in Blacksburg (home of Virginia Tech, about 40 minutes from Roanoke) and one of our neighbors was a family from Nebraska. The father is the director of the National Weather Service in Blacksburg. They love the area and I know you would too!

Sean
Thanks so much for the feedback! I am glad I found this website. You guys are great! Your info on Roanoke was excellent. Nebraska is a great place, but my wife and I have grown up there and it's time for a change.
Not to degrade Roanoke by any means, but I have heard crime may be an issue? Any thoughts?

Thank you once again!!

Old 02-15-2007, 06:15 PM

213 posts, read 917,283 times
change can be fun. we still need to know where you will be working and how long a commute. i will say in your price range the western part of the state 9except fro northern neck and eastern shore) will offer more house for the money as opposed to the north and estaern sections. 2 distinct geographies - mountains v water. where is your job - that will, of course, drive the answer.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM

1,341 posts, read 5,632,907 times
Quote:
Not to degrade Roanoke by any means, but I have heard crime may be an issue? Any thoughts?
This is a common misconception about Roanoke. When I refer to Roanoke, I'm talking about the Roanoke Metropolitan Statistical (MSA) area. This includes Roanoke City, Roanoke County, Salem City, Botetourt County, Craig County and Franklin County. When looking at the Roanoke Metro, every single measured crime statistic is lower than the national average across the board. Some statistics like robbery are 50% below the national average. However, too many crime stats web sites ignore the MSA and hand you just the city statistics which are completely misleading, especially when one considers that only 89,000 people live within the city limits and the other 200,000 residents do not.

Roanoke City itself is small in terms of land area. Only about 43 square miles. By contrast, Roanoke County is 250 square miles, Franklin is 700 square miles, Botetourt is 500 square miles, and Craig is 330 square miles. While much of the economic engine (jobs) that powers the Roanoke Metro resides within city limits, most people do not live within the city limits. A greater percentage of Roanoke City residents are lower income and as a result crime is higher inside city limits. More specifically, crime is higher in specific sections of the city where the poorest are concentrated. Once you travel a few blocks from these areas, the crime level is markedly lower. And with that said, there are a great many neighborhoods inside city limits that are well kept and extremely safe.

Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or