U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:56 PM

4 posts, read 9,712 times

Advertisements

Bedford County has several different personalities depending on the location. The Forest area of Bedford county is suburban, lots of activities and businesses oriented to families and kids. The area around Smith Mountain Lake is a combination of recreational and upscale. Bedford City itself is a perfect example of a "small town, USA" with a farmer's market and locally owned businesses. A significant portion of the county is residential/agricultural - farms and individual residences with a beautiful rolling terrain. So where you might like to live depends on what kind of environment you prefer.

What makes Bedford unique? Clearly Smith Mountain Lake (SML). It's just a tremendous asset to the whole area. The Peaks of Otter and the Blue Ridge Parkway offer easy access to hiking, biking, scenic drives. And there are several wineries in the Bedford area. Another unique feature is the Bedford County Hunt, traditional foxhunting on horseback with hounds (only run the foxes to ground, don't actually kill them). Interesting annual events: Point-to-Point Hunt Races at Wolf Branch Farm, Wine Festival at SML, Horse & Hound Wine Festival at Peak of Otter Winery (great casual event where you can bring your dog!).

The only advice I can give you is that don't fall in love with the idea of living in the county without understanding the agricultural areas are truly working farms. That means slow tractors on the road, farm smells, etc. If you like the idea, but not the reality, there a quite a few subdivisions with large lots (1 -5 acres). That way you can ehjoy the views of the Peaks of Otter, but mosr of the conveniences of surburbia.

There is a local paper you can check out to learn more about the area at www.bedfordbulletin.com. The two closest larger cities are Lynchburg and Roanoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 08:02 AM

11 posts, read 48,657 times
Many thanks for all your replies, but we have just found out that it is now Houston TX we will be moving to!! (Just when I thought I knew what I was getting into). Thanks again.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:48 PM

9 posts, read 23,881 times
Default About moving to Bedford

We moved to Bedford City from Roanoke several years ago and it is, indeed, culture shock! Living in a larger city where you have much more privacy to living almost in a fishbowl takes some getting used to. That said, there is the small town advantage of knowing a lot of the people who live in a few square miles. You children wouldn't be able to get away with much without someone ratting them out--I hope.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,763 times
Red face Don't stay if you can't be happy.......

I have lived in the Roanoke 'area' for well over 40 years and I think my appreciation of this Valley grows the more I travel to other areas. Currently we live in Bedford Co. about 15 miles from the Roanoke Civic Center. I've read on some of these messages that some are less interested in one area or another. Reminds me of the man sitting at the edge of town on his front porch. A stranger stops one day and asks what the people within the town are like. The gentleman turns the question around and asks the stranger what the people are like where he is moving from. The stranger says that all the people are mean, hateful, stealing, cheating,rednecks, uneducated, etc., etc. The gentleman keeps on whittling on the stick and says "I think you'll find the people in this town much like the town you are moving from." A short time later, another stranger stops and asks the gentleman what the people are like within this town. A second time the gentleman turns the question back to the stranger and asks what the people are like where he is moving from. The stranger says that the town he moved from is wonderful, the people are caring, friendly, gracious in every way. The gentleman keeps on whittling and says that he is certain that he will find the same situation in the town that he has experienced with the town he is moving from.
It's much like looking at a glass that is filled 1/2 way...is it half full or half empty. If we could all learn to seek the good in everybody and be positive ourselves, the newspapers and news media would be reporting totally different.
Some of us need to wake up and appreciate what we have and make an honest attempt at finding good in our situations.
I have relatives and much history in Lynchburg, Bedford, and Roanoke. All of these areas are great and seriously if you don't like it, don't stay, move on, life is too short to be miserable.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,264 times
Well, I have a pretty good view on the school district, since I'm in highschool. Now, if you live in Bedford city or on towards the east side of Bedford County (Montvale) it would be of ease to go to Liberty High School when your child gets of age. If you live out near Smith Mountain Lake your kid would likely go to Staunton River. From the fellow students I've talked to coming from Staunton River they basically liked Liberty better, (their football team isn't very good either). If your towards Lynchburg you would more likely go to the Lynchburg school district or go to Jefferson Forest. Bottom line, don't go to JF. Nahh, there is nothing wrong about JF but Liberty wins in the rivalry depo. SO, I would choose Liberty, great school, great students and good teachers. O, and if you were wondering, yes I do go to Liberty. Go Minutemen!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 AM

192 posts, read 549,813 times
Hi there!
Last year I had UK clients with 4 boys. We toured Franklin County, Smith Mountain Lake, Roanoke County and Lynchburg (Forest specifically). Forest won by a landslide. Check it out! My husband is from Lynchburg and we own property in Forest and I love the area! We live, most of the time, in Roanoke which I think is terrific - the rest of our time we live at Smith Mountain Lake (which you will be able to enjoy) and I personally think you will find wonderful vistas and people wherever you land. The schools will be an excellent guide! Good luck!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 AM

506 posts, read 1,266,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
Why do you like Lyncburg more than Roanoke? It's nice to offer an opinion but it's more helpful to explain why you have that opinion.

I don't know much about Lynchburg. I have to be honest though, I've driven through Lynchburg a few times using a variety of major arteries and each time I've thought "Yuck". The buildings, the layout, the condition of things add up to this aesthetic that I can't quite put into words, but the overall experience was mildly unpleasant. Another thing I can't quite put my finger on, is that the Lynchburg MSA is not much smaller than Roanoke's MSA but the Lynchburg Symphony hardly has any events going on? Does Lynchburg support it's arts? The Roanoke Symphony has something going on every few weeks.

Now, outside of Lynchburg there is some pretty country. But when we were touring the countryside around it, it wasn't so attractive that it outweighed the bad vibes we experienced within the city of Lynchburg.

Sean
I have lived outside Lynchburg for 6 years now and worked in this town. I agree with you to 100%.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 AM

925 posts, read 2,132,046 times
The nicer part of Lynchburg is well off the major traffice routes through town which is one major reason it is nice--no traffic. Next time you are in town or just for fun you should drive in on Boonsboro Rd, Link Rd or Langhorne Rd. The entire area consists of many older large and regular sized homes on large lots. Gof off on some of the side roads and you will quickly see why people like the city. Take a ride down my street Peakland Place which is just off Boonsboro, out Trents Ferry Road, etc. The entire west/northwest part of town is very nice.

This agent specializes in the area and has some typical listings of what you see

Google Image Result for http://www.lynchburgrealtors.com/images/peakland%20002.jpg

Old 10-31-2008, 10:38 AM

506 posts, read 1,266,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
The nicer part of Lynchburg is well off the major traffice routes through town which is one major reason it is nice--no traffic. Next time you are in town or just for fun you should drive in on Boonsboro Rd, Link Rd or Langhorne Rd. The entire area consists of many older large and regular sized homes on large lots. Gof off on some of the side roads and you will quickly see why people like the city. Take a ride down my street Peakland Place which is just off Boonsboro, out Trents Ferry Road, etc. The entire west/northwest part of town is very nice.

This agent specializes in the area and has some typical listings of what you see

Google Image Result for http://www.lynchburgrealtors.com/images/peakland%20002.jpg

Quite fascinating! When I think of this area I do not think of images like that..sadly..
It would be interesting to see how many of Lynchburg residents live in such houses and how many lives in the more standard Lynchburg homes.
Today I will actually make my annual “pilgrimage” to Boonsboro!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:58 PM

925 posts, read 2,132,046 times
It's a tale of two cities. The professional/engineering class living in Boonsboro and the western suburbs and the blue collar workers living in Sandusky and south Lynchburg. And the hood south and east of downtown save the historic districts. Luckily our crime rate is far lower than Roanoke's and we have some good potential high paying growth industries--nuclear, medical, and college education. It's not all the way there yet but the trends are very positive. Also retirees with some $$$ are discovering the town which is good for real estate and retail business. Give it ten more years and you will be reading articles about the new Lynchburg. Falwell helped and hurt the town but now he's gone and so is much of the controversy. His sons have been far more middle of the road and low-key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia