Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:59 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,988,538 times

Advertisements

It is increasingly looking like Virginia has joined the northeastern US voting block, which tends to favor Democrats over Republicans.

Virginia has on more than one occasion had Democrats as Governors, but with the last election cycle's replacement of Senator George Allen (R) with Senator Jim Webb (D), the trend towards Democrats has accelerated. Now, Obama's lead over McCain is widening to somewhere between 8% to the double-digits, depending on which poll is used.

There are probably many reasons for this, including increased migration into the Democrat's stronghold in NOVA, and a GOP that over the last term seems to have lost its direction and cohesion.

Is the state trending permanently Democratic? Or is this a one-time phenom?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:21 PM

935 posts, read 2,408,337 times
I think it's a one-time thing, but depending on whether or not the Dems will do a good job if elected it could become a temporary trend. I'm part of the younger independent crowd that was going to vote McCain but after the economy and Palin me and a bunch of people are thinking about choosing Dem for president. Yes, there is debate that the Dems have a huge part in the recession, but I think what has scared people more is the idea of Palin. Some people love her and some people are changing their vote b/c of her.

The west part of Virginia is highly religious, so that is why I do not believe it will ever become fully Democrat (though some Dems are very religious as well). However, I think the reason why this state is turning blue is because of the economy and Palin. Though there's still 19 days left, so McCain could still pull it off.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:35 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,429,373 times
I don't believe so. It's going to stay repub from what I've heard. Tim Kaine is not the greatest Govenor.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:41 PM

935 posts, read 2,408,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I don't believe so. It's going to stay repub from what I've heard. Tim Kaine is not the greatest Govenor.
It might go Republican for Governor, but for President I know the people even in SW Virginia are getting sick and tired of the economy and are plastering Obama/Biden signs in their yards and on their houses. Which is weird b/c this region is suppose to be highly Republican but I've seen more Democrat than Republican signs. Then again, I've also heard a lot of more conservative people in this area who believe whole-heartedly that Obama is the actual predicted Anti-Christ. Not everyone in the area is like this, but there are a few.

I guess it depends. According to CNN the state is leaning more toward blue (it was a toss-up state earlier in the election). However, in the end it is going to depend on who makes it to the polls. I know at my college in 2004 a lot of the liberal students didn't go to the polls but the conservative students skipped class to vote (my college outside of VA didn't allow us to have Election Day off). A lot of people like Pat Robertson still have faith that VA will go Republican for the presidential election.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:52 PM

8,821 posts, read 15,277,968 times
Virginia is interesting. As a "swing state", it has "swing counties", namely Prince William and Loudoun. A lot will depend on what those counties do.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:35 AM

We also have to consider the Military. People are under the impression that they are always well cared for and this is not true. Clinton didn't give them the pay raises they needed to keep up with the cost of living. Without getting into the whole political arguing, OB thinks we should be making cuts.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:44 PM

223 posts, read 1,171,224 times
Good topic. I'm curious to see what will happen. I was living in Alexandria in 2004. Folks back then thought Virginia could go for Kerry. It was a pipe dream of course. However, the mood is different this time around.

One point I will argue: if Virginia goes for Obama, it will not be solely because of NOVA. There will have to be significant pockets of support in other areas such as Hampton Roads and Richmond-Petersburg.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee.peddler View Post
Good topic. I'm curious to see what will happen. I was living in Alexandria in 2004. Folks back then thought Virginia could go for Kerry. It was a pipe dream of course. However, the mood is different this time around.

One point I will argue: if Virginia goes for Obama, it will not be solely because of NOVA. There will have to be significant pockets of support in other areas such as Hampton Roads and Richmond-Petersburg.
No it won't (I agree). Hampton Roads is a BIG Military community and the businesses thrive on military spending. With 3 major privately owned shipyards who depend on the defense budget to survive and Norfolk Naval Shipyard which is a government shipyard. Cutbacks will lay off thousands of workers should the defense budget ever get wacked, not to say the civilians who work at Oceana Naval Station and the businesses surrounding it.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:03 PM

7 posts, read 14,174 times
I am voting for Obama and I am military.....

Old 10-29-2008, 02:37 PM

96 posts, read 385,125 times
I don't live in NOVA, and I'm voting for OBAMA! Virginia will likely go "blue" for several reasons. To me, the biggest reason is this: George W. Bush...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia