U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 19,862 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a state that I do not prefer to live in and it's time for a change. I have done some research on what areas would best suit my needs but would like some feedback on these areas. I am thinking about moving to Charlottsville, Henrico County, or Chester County. I want to be close to the mountains, water, and out of the city living in a suburb. I want to be somewhere with lots of things to do; festivals, shopping, bars, restaurants, outdooor activities, and most importantly I would like to meet a good group of people. I want to live by some good school districts since I will be teaching, hopefully. I will be moving there by myself not knowing anybody so choosing the right location is important to me. If anybody can give me some info. on why one place is better than the other that would be great. Thanks for all your help ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 03:16 PM

1,341 posts, read 5,643,559 times
Come join us down in Roanoke!

Roanoke has a lower cost of living than Charlottesville. There are exciting opportunities in many good public and private schools that offer competitive salaries. Roanoke is a few degrees warmer than Charlottesville (not a deal maker, but ya know, it sure will feel like one when you're driving to work on damp roads while listening to the radio announcer talk about the black ice in Charlottesville!). Roanoke, as far as I know, is the only city in the state that I'm aware of that has a salaried person in charge of creating events and programs to attract and retain young professionals. His name is Stuart Mease (http://connectingpeople.typepad.com/) and he's made huge progress during his first year on the job. Lots more communication between civic groups and governments going on and there is really a sea change ocurring in the Valley. I'm a successful internet entrepreneur and through Stuart I'm getting involved with some interesting web site projects that will gather together in one spot a bird's eye view of all local events, volunteer opportunities, social opportunities and news important to young folks in Roanoke.

Insofar as living close to the water, you might consider Franklin County (where I live), just south of Roanoke. We have three lakes, one national park and one state park along with many thousands of acres in conserved mountain lands. Our favorite beach is at Fairystone Lake:

http://extranet.digitalspinner.com:8180/fairystone_beach.jpg (broken link)

In addition we have a new public beach being constructed on Smith Mountain Lake that should be completed by this summer season.

Our girls go to school at North Cross private school in Roanoke (http://www.northcross.org) (broken link). We love the school; 100% of the kids go on to college and the environment is just unbelievable. And the cost is much lower than in NoVA; you could send three kids to North Cross for the price you pay to send just one child to a private school in NoVA. My wife is the JK rep and we do alot of volunteer work for the school. I can't imagine a better place to teach in the Valley than North Cross.

There are many festivals in the Roanoke Valley and in Franklin County. Throughout Spring, Summer and Fall there are several each month. There is a surprising amount of shopping available in the Valley. Grocery choices abound; for example, we have the Roanoke Food Co-Op, which is the largest food co-op in the state of Virginia with over 2,000 members. Some of my favorite places to shop are Lowes (I own a horse farm whaddya expect, Nordstroms? grin), Black Forest Gifts, Art on a Mission at Tanglewood Mall, Grand Home Furnishings, Reids Fine Furnishings, Barnes and Noble, Periwinkle Toys and so on. Lots of outdoor activities also; all kinds of sporting and outdoor clubs (biking, running, tennis, golf etc).

If you move to Roanoke just look us up (www.oakhillstablesva.com) and send us an email or stop by. Two of our boarders have tought in the Roanoke Valley for decades. My wife (Mt Holyoke grad) taught in public and private schools before focusing on equestrian studies, training, instruction and competition. Roanoke has a really friendly community and you'll be brought into the fold pretty quickly!

Sean

Old 02-20-2007, 10:19 AM

689 posts, read 1,377,179 times
I think seanpecor and I may end up in posting wars over our favorite areas! From what you describe, I really recommend the Richmond area. It's an hour from the mountains, an hour and 15 minutes from the water, and there's a ton to do. You don't mention your age, but there are activities from everyone from college age to seniors. During the spring and summer, there is something interesting and unique to do every weekend. You're also an hour and half from DC, and the train makes it easier. Henrico is really nice, but it's the most expensive suburban area around Richmond. You might also look at Chesterfield county, specifically the Midlothian area. Richmond has wonderful shopping and dining, as well. And the cost of living is much lower than Charlottesville. I'm not a fan of Chester, if you're young and single, it's not for you. Based on what you described, I'd look at Henrico or Midlothian. It's a wonderful place to live!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanwbie View Post
I think seanpecor and I may end up in posting wars over our favorite areas!
Actually from a marketing and experiential perspective, we have totally different products I've spent enough time in both the Richmond and the Roanoke Valley area to know that for certain.

If you put someone looking for a Roanoke Valley in the middle of Richmond, you'll make them miserable. If you put someone in the middle of a Roanoke Valley when they're looking for a Richmond, then you'll make them miserable also. What better way to express how different a product they are than through two photos?

Richmond, VA:

Roanoke, VA:
http://extranet.digitalspinner.com:8180/Roanokeaerial.jpg (broken link)

I think we'd both agree we want people moving into our area only after they've exposed themselves to enough of what Virginia has to offer, so that they can best choose the region that is best for their objective needs and subjective desires.

Sean

Old 02-21-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
Actually from a marketing and experiential perspective, we have totally different products I've spent enough time in both the Richmond and the Roanoke Valley area to know that for certain.

If you put someone looking for a Roanoke Valley in the middle of Richmond, you'll make them miserable. If you put someone in the middle of a Roanoke Valley when they're looking for a Richmond, then you'll make them miserable also. What better way to express how different a product they are than through two photos?

Sean
I totally agree about the location being right for the person. Having grown up in central VA and moved to Richmond, I can attest to what you're saying. But gosh, if you're going to put photos up, can't you find a better one of Richmond, often noted as one of the prettiest historical cities around? What about Monument Avenue? Or Maymont? Or even a scenic view of the James?

Old 02-21-2007, 12:23 PM

AmyB--Here are some websites you might want to check out, too:

http://www.styleweekly.com/ -- Great for restaurants and their social events calendar
http://www.maymont.org/
http://www.timesdispatch.com/

Richmond really has a thriving nightlife and social scene. it's a lot of fun!

Old 02-21-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanwbie View Post
What about Monument Avenue? Or Maymont? Or even a scenic view of the James?
Dude, I tried! I wanted a cityscape but this was the best one I could find. If you can point me to another I'll edit my post

Sean

Old 07-20-2007, 04:34 AM

2 posts, read 11,931 times
Default Roanoke, VA

Hello all..My name is Tony Scocco and I will be relocating to Roanoke, Va in about 2-3 months. Is there anyone who can tell me about the area and what atre the best areas around Roanoke to live. I will be coming there in August for housing survey. Is there a website I can go to as well. I appreciate all who help in my stressfull transision from sunny Florida to gorgeous mountains.
LOL-

Old 07-20-2007, 06:02 AM

Hey Tony, what are your interests? That would help us figure out what aspects to talk about. Also, what is your very rough ballpark budget for a home?

Cheers,

Sean

Old 07-20-2007, 07:01 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,895,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB18 View Post
I currently live in a state that I do not prefer to live in and it's time for a change. I have done some research on what areas would best suit my needs but would like some feedback on these areas. I am thinking about moving to Charlottsville, Henrico County, or Chester County. I want to be close to the mountains, water, and out of the city living in a suburb. I want to be somewhere with lots of things to do; festivals, shopping, bars, restaurants, outdooor activities, and most importantly I would like to meet a good group of people. I want to live by some good school districts since I will be teaching, hopefully. I will be moving there by myself not knowing anybody so choosing the right location is important to me. If anybody can give me some info. on why one place is better than the other that would be great. Thanks for all your help ahead of time.
And I'll go to bat for Charlottesville. It's more expensive but that's the only knock and it's the only place of the three that has been named the top city in America to live. I grew up in surrounding Albemarle County which has fabulous schools. It gets a little more affordable if you look out toward the Crozet area where they are doing a lot of building. The area has the University of Virginia so as far as entertainment there's plenty to do and plenty of shopping and historically it is a dream with Monticello and Michie Tavern for starters....

I guess my one caution might actually be your biggest concern. The people are nice but there are some snooty folks about which is always a turn-off, but the majority of people are very friendly. As for teaching you will love Albemarle County so I'd focus there if you choose this area.

Good luck on your decision. IMO C'Ville has the best of everything for what you're looking for, but yes, I'm biased...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or