U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 06:10 PM

9 posts, read 32,223 times

Advertisements

well the cost of housing is 3x as much as here in texas. i'm wondering if there is anything else more expensive....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 AM

689 posts, read 1,371,724 times
Oh, my gosh, yes! A house here is still about 2/3 of a comparable house just 60 miles east of Winchester, in northern VA. The fact that you can still buy something in the $200,000s is amazing. You'll just have to deal with the sticker shock, unfortunately. You're ocming from one of the lowest housing markets to one of the highest. Even Winchester is impacted by NoVA prices, as more and more people move out. I would expect that you'll find other costs of living higher, too, such as groceries, gas, day care, drycleaning. That's certainly been our experience, and we just moved from Richmond.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:28 AM

4,500 posts, read 6,560,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac784 View Post
thanx for all of the info.... does anyone have any pics of winchester or know a good site to where i can find some? thanx again.
Check http://www.winchesterstar.com/this (broken link) site It's the local newspaper.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:07 AM

25 posts, read 140,886 times
In Texas, you have a property tax that is a combined tax, dependent upon where you live w/in the state of Texas. Texas does not have a State income tax.

Living in VA, you will have a State income tax.

Real property tax is 0.525 per $100 in Frederick County, outside of Winchester. You'd need to check on additional property taxes within the city limits.

Virginia also has Personal Property Tax -- a 'car tax'. You will pay for all vehicles, boats, RVs, based on the assessed value of the vehicle(s). Each of those would be assessed at 4.20 per $100 of assessed value.

There's also a $25 decal fee for every operational vehicle owned -- every year.

If you move within the city of Winchester VA, you will have an additional tax for being in the city.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:05 PM

o my gosh. thanks for the info. i sure hope this move is worth it. i think it will be once we get over shock of the increased prices.....let's hope its worth it..

Old 03-18-2007, 05:19 PM

any negatives about living in winchester as opposed to other cities in va?? thanks!!

Old 03-18-2007, 06:24 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,110,879 times
Winchester is a relatively small city. It does have some that resent outsiders.

Its also in the Shenandoah Valley and its harder to get to other areas of the state. Like Richmond is almost 2 and 1/2 hours away.

You're not all that close to the beach either- nearly 4 hours.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,143 times
Default moving to canter estates but who knows now

please help me

was going to move there but with what I am reading with the toxic waste and all I just dont know

move to nc from fredericksburg 2 years ago and hate it here miss family and all thought that this would be good but according to lynn it would be the worse mistake of my life

I am going to tell the real eatate agent all I have read and she what she says

thanks
keegan

Old 04-24-2007, 08:42 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,126,863 times
Default Winchester

Don't forget the Apple Blossom Festival that Winchester is famous for!
I visited Winchester a few weeks ago and it is beginning to grow out toward
D.C. The downtown area has been improved with renovation of many of the older civil war era buildings. It seemed like more people are moving downtown and many Washingtonians have it on their radar screens.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 10,614 times
Question Winchester or Williamsburg

We are retiring and considering a active adult community either in Williamsburg(south) or Winchester.(north). Does anyone have any helpful commarisons of the 2? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or