U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:17 PM

96 posts, read 350,896 times

Advertisements

Folks here in VA have not a clue to what a Union is, or what they do (for the most part). In general I belive most teachers are well-supported and comfortable with Virginia's "Non Union" system...no big deal.

Just as you might find it odd that folks in VA are clueless about Unions, most here are just as clueless about participating in a Union...not a flame, it's just how it is in VA..

Best of Luck, if you do deciede to teach in VA I think you will enjoy it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,974 times
It is awful, to be honest. I moved from Northern Virginia, took a $5,000 pay cut, and pay the EXACT same in rent. I have a second job just to get by. I am a special education teacher for severe special needs in Chesapeake, haven't had a raise in two years...(will be three next year), get bullied by principals, and get forced to complete Alternative Assessment binders on students who are able to take the Virginia SOL's just so that our school gets accreditation, and they (the admin) look good. It's the exact thing that Norfolk schools are under scrutiny for by the federal government. Who does the admin throw under the bus after they have forced these sped teachers to do illegal things? THE TEACHERS (( We have ABSOLUTELY NO SUPPORT/BACKING without a union. The problem is is the administration of these districts are NOT put in check by those above them, and we are not supported by a union that can put them in check. Us teachers down here have absolutely no protection. BE CAREFUL. I wouldn't dare move down here for a teaching job unless you're ready to forgo all of your morals and get into the corruption yourself. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,974 times
***I also worked in Ohio where they do have Unions..... WOULD PAY ANYTHING IN THE WORLD TO GET BACK THERE SO I CAN BE SUPPORTED AND FEEL SECURE REGARDLESS OF WHO IS ABOVE ME. General Education teachers will NEVER understand this. We as special education teachers NEED the union, because we are the ones dealing with legal documents EVERY day that our principals tell us not to follow in order... LITERALLY.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,062 times
Here is a story addressing the many problems we have in common:

Overwhelming Controversies Defame NYC Department of Education http:
//newsblaze.com/story/20110215100924pamb.nb/topstory.html

Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 AM

3,886 posts, read 5,336,934 times
Okay, I'll flame the fires a bit since I think the OP is just trying to be provacative like the Baltimore Teamsters showing up in Loudoun last week to picket a bus company.

Virginia seems to be doing just fine without mandatory unions and I, for one, would like it to stay that way. My personal opinion is that a lot of Southerners fear this migration from North to South will bring all of the problems currently being experienced "up north", especially including unions and rapidly rising tax liabilities.

How many threads on city data involve "the high cost of living" in those states? It's second only to the cold. Well, we can't change the weather (regardless of what the uber-wealthy Al Gore has made off it) so that leaves "cost of living". One reason the taxes are so high in NJ, NY, Ohio etc is because of those public sector unions.

And, Chessie, I'm very sorry you're unhappy. Of course, you took a pay cut leaving NoVa to, I assume, the Chesapeake/Va Beach area. Fairfax/Loudoun/Arlington are significantly wealthier areas. I know special education is one of the toughest fields but no one's forcing you to stay in Virginia. Isn't special education one of the teaching areas always in the biggest demand? You should be able to get a position up north pretty easily. There might be some openings soon in Wisconsin . . .

Oh, and yes, I used to teach.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:45 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,050,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessieteacher1234 View Post
***I also worked in Ohio where they do have Unions..... WOULD PAY ANYTHING IN THE WORLD TO GET BACK THERE SO I CAN BE SUPPORTED AND FEEL SECURE REGARDLESS OF WHO IS ABOVE ME. General Education teachers will NEVER understand this. We as special education teachers NEED the union, because we are the ones dealing with legal documents EVERY day that our principals tell us not to follow in order... LITERALLY.
No offense but...........Why do it if it soooo bad.

The number one comment I hear from teachers when defending their pay is "i have a collee degree... as If they are in demand and could be doing something else less stressfull for more money.. But yet we all know thats not really true..

I get the sped thing vs general ed but that is YOUR choice... isnt it?

Life is too short. You do have power as a individual.. leave and explain why you are leaving.. They are the ones who dictate how they want their program to run.. It isnt your place to sit there and complain about why its better somewhere else,.. if they are breaking the law.. report it

you think you got it rough...

I live in Maine where our teachers retirement is 25 years with an age 62 requirement. That means that if they decide to leave with just the 25 years and are under age 62 they lose 6 1/4 % for each year they are younger than 62! They get 40% of their health ins paid when they retire.. My brother in law with 12 years in one of the largest higher paid systems in the state made 34k last year..

Dont mean to single you out.. but its a tough time to be a municiple employee making an average 20% more with liberal retirement benifits, and better working conditions then your private sector counterparts... meanwhile our country is in financial ruin.. while teachers in one state (wis) are refusing to go to work and school is being cancelled because they dont want to lose anything.

As a former government employee I support anyone who works in public service.. but it just seems to me this generation of public service workers see their job as public entitlement!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:19 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,118,155 times
Just thought I'd point out that the OP started this thread in November of 2008, and chessieteacher's posts are from March of 2010 (and s/he hasn't been back since).

Not saying the issue isn't worth discussing, but it's not likely these members will be joining in .....

Old 02-21-2011, 08:07 PM

2,777 posts, read 3,020,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalynns View Post
Hello,
My husband and I are looking to move to VA and I just found out that it is a non teacher's union state. I didn't even know that this existed! I currently teach in NJ and our union has supported us and potected us. What is it like to teach without a union? Do you still get tenure? Does this mean that they can pay you less and place you on a different step on the scale depending on how easy your position is to fill? I an an Art teacher and will have 6 or more years experience (probably 8) when we will move. What are my chances at getting a position that will place me appropriately on the scale? We really like what we have heard and seen about Roanoke, Chesapeake and Mannassas. Does anyone have an opinion of these places as a teacher? We also have a child and need to live in a good district as well.

Thanks, Mandalynns
a hopefully future VA resident
No idea what its like to teach, but its sure nice to live in a state without them! We escaped NY and found the quality of education here superior (we're from Westchester county).

Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 AM

3,886 posts, read 5,336,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
No idea what its like to teach, but its sure nice to live in a state without them! We escaped NY and found the quality of education here superior (we're from Westchester county).
I don't know much about New York, but isn't Westchester a fairly close-in, affluent suburb ala Great Falls/McLean? Aren't they very highly ranked for SATs etc.

I'd love to hear you expand on why Virginia schools are superior.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM

2,777 posts, read 3,020,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I don't know much about New York, but isn't Westchester a fairly close-in, affluent suburb ala Great Falls/McLean? Aren't they very highly ranked for SATs etc.

I'd love to hear you expand on why Virginia schools are superior.
Never heard of great Falls/McLean, but yes, very wealthy area.

They cost me 10k less a year in property tax and I've noticed no discernible difference in the quality of education.

Also, they are highly ranked for SATs due to many parents shelling out thousands on private tutors on top of the already exorbitant taxes they pay.

Thus I consider the schools here superior as they deliver equivalent results at a fraction of the price.

Plus SAT scores are meaningless, you know that right? I didn't even take the test, went to public colleges, and now make more $ then my doctor.

Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or