U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2007, 08:55 AM

29 posts, read 104,083 times

Advertisements

hello all..I was wondering if there is such a thing as a low humidity area of Virginia..it looks beautiful there but I can't take the humidity...I have read your posts for the Blacksburg area....any suggestions? Thanks to all, this is a great search board !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 01:01 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,331,705 times
Coming from Montana (as I'm assuming from your screen name), every place in Virginia will seem to be high humidity. With that said however, relative to the rest of Virginia, the areas in the mountains, like Blacksburg and Roanoke tend to be more tolerable and with lower humidity. Unfortunately, humidity is pretty much unavoidable, although it varies in degrees, in the entire Eastern U.S.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:16 PM

1,341 posts, read 5,627,518 times
Humidity is lower than I expected when I moved from Vermont to just south of Roanoke, Virginia. When I lived in Blacksburg there was no less humidity than Roanoke, it just tended to be about 4-5 degrees cooler in Blacksburg due to it's altitude among other things. My father in-law was raised in Arlington and his experience is that the Roanoke area is noticeably less humid during the summer months.

We have a lady who is from Montana that is taking riding lessons with my wife. Her and her husband recently moved here and her husband is a highly skilled heavy equipment construction worker. She really likes it here.

Sean

Old 02-24-2007, 09:26 PM

121 posts, read 411,571 times
Coming from the west, I don't think there's anywhere in the state that won't feel like you have to drink rather than breathe the air.

I hate it so much I'm moving west soon. And I was born here. I have lived in SW VA and it IS better there than in some spots. But it's still miserable 4-6 months out of the year.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:49 PM

1,341 posts, read 5,627,518 times
I'm perfectly comfortable with the humidity levels in SWVA. And I work outside about 20 hours a week entirely by choice. If a person lives in SWVA full-time indoors with the A/C cranked down to 68F during the summer then perhaps their body isn't rigged for living in a temperate climate. They're either overdressed or overfed or a wee bit of both All kidding aside, everyone should be able to find a place where they're happy. Virginia for me is a happy medium. Las Vegas is too dry, Florida is too humid and altogether too hot. And I'm an amateur landscaper, gardener and horse farmer. Virginia is lush and green because of it's rainfall and humidity, not despite it. Our many state master gardener and master naturalist programs are a tribute to our awesome growing climate. And from a horseman's perspective, you can keep 20 horses on 40 well managed acres in Virginia, but you'd need 400 acres AT LEAST in Arizona to keep that many without supplementing their diet. At least. Whenever I travel out West I get homesick in days; everything is so brown. It's like somebody dialed down the saturation and hue levels in my eyes. I don't think I could ever get used to that. On the other hand, many others look at those brown vistas and see the finer details that they themselves cherish. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Sean

Old 02-26-2007, 07:45 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,723,932 times
Montanagirl: The VA humidity is inescapable, but Blacksburg is a good choice because it is higher in altitude than most VA towns. Anyway, humidity is only bad in that area from early June to late August. Spring and fall are nearly perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or