U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,400 times

Advertisements

We have been looking to relocate to Frederick or Warren Counties in Virginia. What can you tell me of the pros and cons of both counties please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 AM

96 posts, read 351,201 times
I'd look at Frederick/Winchester...Front Royal is a royal dump...I live in the general area, and I've always liked Winchester; not too big, not too small...a vibrant downtown area, pedestrian mall, etc....Front Royal on the other had use to be called "Helltown" and it is still an accurate description as far as I can tell...

Old 11-25-2008, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 8,625 times
What do you think of Linden? I'm looking for a house in that area.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 PM

24 posts, read 57,323 times
Front Royal is one of the least scenic towns I frequent. Just not very appealing.

Winchester is more spread out so it doesn't feel so unappealing. THere are things to do there, plus there's a growing retirement group there. Good hospital, good amount of recreation.

Linden is a bit closer to DC. It's lovely there, especially up on Apple Mountain, but they got a bit loose with lots of houses looking the same there. At least they're the prow front log homes, so they're kind of cool. Linden, though closer to DC, has a more rural feel to it versus Winchester and Front Royal. I live about 30 miles south southwest of Front Royal on Massanutten Mountain, and I love it out here. It's gorgeous, very rural, but there's still a Wal Mart within striking distance. A bit more travel for medical, though.

Linden is still within decent travel of either Winchester or Fairfax for quality medical care. The commute to Linden and Front Royal would be via 55 and/or 66. Winchester has Rt. 50, but you can also take 66 and dogleg up 340/522. There is a new shopping center right there at 66 and 340, just north of Front Royal, with Lowes and Wal Mart and lots of other places. HUGE Wal Mart, very clean, with lots of basics.

Depending on the feel you want, I'd probably consider Linden for rural and Winchester for a relatively small town with city amenities.

Piper

Old 11-26-2008, 04:44 AM

3 posts, read 8,625 times
Thanks so much for your reply, Pied. I've found a house that I like in Linden and have been told it's in a hilly area. How badly do you think a 4 wheel drive car is needed?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 7,400 times
Default New construction at 340/522 north of Front Royal

up 340/522. There is a new shopping center right there at 66 and 340, just north of Front Royal, with Lowes and Wal Mart and lots of other places. HUGE Wal Mart, very clean, with lots of basics.

There seems to be a lot of new building in this area north of Front Royal. Anybody have any information on the area?

Thanks.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:18 PM

24 posts, read 57,323 times
Default Four Wheel Drive

If you have to be somewhere regularly, 4WD would be really helpful, though not on most days. I don't know how well Linden gets its roads cleared. I would think, worst case, you might need 4WD 10 or 20 days a year. I do recall, in 95, we got 2 feet of snow in 3 days, and my house was snowed in (in Fairfax) for 8 days. That was the most snow I have ever experienced in my 29 years in northern Virginia and even 4WD cars didn't get out until we cleared part of our road with my snow thrower. Just a half mile from my house, though, the main roads were completely cleared within a couple of days. It's getting to those roads that's tricky. If your prospective house is on a dirt road, you might check with neighbors to see how it behaves after rain and snow -- and look in their driveways to get an idea of what people are driving. I'd bet you'll see a lot of SUVs in the Linden area.

Though we don't have 'typical' snow storms, I'd say most storms leave less than a foot and usually much less (maybe 4" might be an 'average'). We do get some ice, though. During the days, we tend to get warmed up a fair amount, which melts the snow, then everything freezes at night. So even 4WD doesn't help much on ice. But after that storm in 95, I bought a 4WD truck and I've never regretted it and will never get anything but 4WD again.

If the house you like is on hilly terrain, it will be more important.

If you can pick and choose which days you go out, you'd probably be able to hunker down on those days the roads might be bad and just wait.

Best,
Wendy

Old 11-28-2008, 06:48 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,884,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EandB View Post
up 340/522. There is a new shopping center right there at 66 and 340, just north of Front Royal, with Lowes and Wal Mart and lots of other places. HUGE Wal Mart, very clean, with lots of basics.

There seems to be a lot of new building in this area north of Front Royal. Anybody have any information on the area?

Thanks.
Frederick is generally considered to have the better schools and I'd tend to agree with that assessment...

Where you might prefer to live really depends on what you're looking for, how much you can spend on a house, do you have school-aged children, do you want a more rural feel or more of a sub-division type area....

The new shopping is certainly a nice boon for Front Royal and Warren County though, but we can just as easily reach it from Stephens City (where we reside) and we have closer access to Winchester.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:51 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,884,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocallag View Post
Thanks so much for your reply, Pied. I've found a house that I like in Linden and have been told it's in a hilly area. How badly do you think a 4 wheel drive car is needed?
At the very least, don't get caught without a front-wheel drive.... I have a rear-wheel drive and got stuck on 55 between Linden and Front Royal last winter during a freak snow storm that dumped 2-3 inches on the road in literally 30-45 minutes.....

Four wheel drive is preferrable... One thing you'll notice in this area is that it is the Subaru capital of the United States. Nice little affordable AWD I guess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia