Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:07 AM

345 posts, read 1,015,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews1965 View Post
Hi rhere - well, at first I was shocked at these photos, I showed them to my husband who is a L'burg native and he was too, until I mentioned that you don't have a car. There are, as mentioned many beautiful areas of the city, I just don't know what your lifestyle requires. You might want to contact the chamber and some of the above sites to explore. I live in the "Grandin Village" area of Roanoke and there are apts. and since it is a "walk around" area there are many folks that have many amenities available - without a car. It is quaint and has apts., restaurants, movie theatre, grocery store, shops dentists etc. and the public bus system runs right down the main drag. You might want to check it out. Best of luck!!!
I didn't mean to start any kind of verbal "image" war in this site. I have trouble believing that the pics are what the city looks like. I am NOT wealthy. I am NOT a snob. But I've seen images elsewhere that look a darn sight better than those. PLEASE!! Be honest. Those images look like a bedraggled, sad, almost deserted place. I'm sure the areas around the colleges, around the mall, around the riverfront don't look like this!! I was just asking for photos of Lynchburg city ITSELF.

I'm sorry if I offended or insulted anyone in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 AM

15 posts, read 108,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
Virginia--drive over to my house on Peakland Place and tell me it looks ANTHING like those pictures of the industrial area. Take 501 to Boonsboro Rd east to Peakland and just drive around the area a bit. Up and down Link, Landhorne, Trents Ferry, and off on some of the side streets.
Well, I am off to se my grandmamma in Lynchburg for big turkey day. She lives in what you call ghetto central. I doubt she likes that description but I won’t tell her, ha, ha

If I have time I’ll try to do a little sight seeing and run by your house.
I really do not want to get in the cross fire of this discusion of what is or what ain’t Lynchburg. I have lived in this area most of my life. When I think of the luxurious homes you linked to, I think of places I saw when I worked construction in Charlottesville. Lynchburg ain’t the first to come to mind so to speak. But after all, I am just a hardworking country bumpkin so what do I know.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:17 AM

506 posts, read 1,402,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
I didn't mean to start any kind of verbal "image" war in this site. I have trouble believing that the pics are what the city looks like. I am NOT wealthy. I am NOT a snob. But I've seen images elsewhere that look a darn sight better than those. PLEASE!! Be honest. Those images look like a bedraggled, sad, almost deserted place. I'm sure the areas around the colleges, around the mall, around the riverfront don't look like this!! I was just asking for photos of Lynchburg city ITSELF.

I'm sorry if I offended or insulted anyone in the process.
I just took photos while driving home. I can see the Lynchburg General Hospital form my office window and Lynchburg College is roughly a 3minute drive form here.

I am sorry that I posted them and I regret that I confused you.

Apparently Lynchburg looks completely different.
I really do not understand how that can be all that misrepresentational.

Deeply sorry. I really am.

Last edited by Mr_Jonas; 11-26-2008 at 11:46 AM..

Old 11-26-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Williams View Post
“MR_Jonas” photos are exactly what I remember from my years in Lynchburg.

I can't open your direct message. Please try again. I love to hear about your new life.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
Lynchburg's best restaurant is actually on the road from Big Island to Bedford-The Millstone Tearoom. But Thai 99 is fine and I have been there several times. The main hospital is right of Langhorne so driving there from my house means just going down a very beautiful Langhorne for the most part. The area around the hospital is fine with all the medical office buildings. It does go into an older less nice area after that as you get to EC Glass but it's still like any average commercial street in most any older US town. Not good nor bad. We also were regulars at the main library--I hope they get a newer larger one soon but it does the job adequately.

http://www.millstonetearoom.com/uploads/MTR_DINNERWeekend.pdf (broken link)

The following recommended restaurants are a 30-minute drive from the B&B:
**The Millstone Tea Room
9058 Big Island Highway
Route 122, Sedalia, VA
(540) 587-7100
Wed-Sun 5:30pm Sun Brunch 11:30am-3pm
millstonetearoom1939.com

"The best kept secret in town." --News & Advance. Jared and Melanie Srsic create the best food in the 'country.' A New American Style; like nothing else around. Handmade, in-house bread and pastry. Millstone supports local produce and sustainable fisheries.

You come down passing the Greek Orthodox Church, right?
(Do we really have Greek people here?? Is it mainly christian Arabs...or..A different topic, I know...a Greek restaurant would make me one happy camper)

I guess I have to check out The Millstone Tea Room one day. The menue looked interesting, not cheep, but not too expensive either. I really do not get exactly were it's located though.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:16 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,350 times
To get there I drive west on 501 frrom Boonsboro to Big Island and go south on RT 122 about 5 miles. Total time is about half an hour from Peakland Pl. and the drive is very pretty. It's on the right and looks like a little cabin. Outstanding food and wonderful people. They now us as the "Seattle couple" since we go there all the time when we are out there. The shrimp and grits are to die for too.

Yes, past the little Greek Church on the left and another mile or two.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews1965 View Post
Hi rhere - well, at first I was shocked at these photos, I showed them to my husband who is a L'burg native and he was too, until I mentioned that you don't have a car. There are, as mentioned many beautiful areas of the city, I just don't know what your lifestyle requires. You might want to contact the chamber and some of the above sites to explore. I live in the "Grandin Village" area of Roanoke and there are apts. and since it is a "walk around" area there are many folks that have many amenities available - without a car. It is quaint and has apts., restaurants, movie theatre, grocery store, shops dentists etc. and the public bus system runs right down the main drag. You might want to check it out. Best of luck!!!
WHA? Because I don't have a car at this time, an area that looks like those photos is the only place I could live in? What does that mean?

Old 11-30-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
I just took photos while driving home. I can see the Lynchburg General Hospital form my office window and Lynchburg College is roughly a 3minute drive form here.

I am sorry that I posted them and I regret that I confused you.

Apparently Lynchburg looks completely different.
I really do not understand how that can be all that misrepresentational.

Deeply sorry. I really am.
This may be what it looks like when you are driving home but does your neighborhood look like those photos? Why is it that NO ONE will take photos of another neighborhood? Downtown? The area around one of the universities? Etc. Are those areas so "pricey" that you don't think anyone who isn't wealthy could afford them.

I'm sorry but I'm getting a really peculiar and not very friendly feeling from most of the people who post in the Lynchburg postings.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:34 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,091 times
Couldn't help but reply. Mr. Jonas has always tried to paint the most negative image as possible in regards to Lynchburg, but as he will attest, it has more to do with where he is at this time in his life as opposed to the city itself. His pictures are from the east end of Langhorne Rd. along 12th St. and down to Kemper St., which are about 2 blocks apart. As he works in the area of Lynchburg General, he'd drive through here on his way from the Appomattox area (and it usually isn't raining, either!). I'm surprised that he didn't drive exactly one mile west of his office on Langhorne and take a picture of this house (http://www.lynchburgva.gov/Property_Photos/55621074.JPG - broken link) as a counterpoint. For that matter, there are few better views than stepping out to the road and taking a picture out over the hospital at the mountains. It's funny that Jonas would leave that out.
If you want more photos, follow this link. You'll find that Google has a much wider range of images and they are much more representative of the area.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:47 AM

192 posts, read 631,449 times
Default check this out

My husband and I were in L'burg last weekend and went to view a community called Wyndhurst. WOW. You need to check this out. It is a walk around community with everything you need! It is very attractive with all the "taste" L'burg is known for. I have no idea of the cost of the condos, townhomes -google it - but it looked absolutely charming and well designed. Hope this helps a little bit!
Take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia