U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 09:42 AM

30 posts, read 97,235 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to the Charlottesville area. Just want to get an idea of what life is like in this area. We are a family of 4 with two girls, ages 6 and 7, and a puppy sheepdog. We have visited this area in the past and love it.

I am from NJ. My hsuband is from Mississippi. We are looking for something in the middle.

What is there to do in Charlottesville? ARe there nice restaurants. How about entertainment?

Also what are some towns around this area that might be okay to include in my housing search? I am noticing Charlottesville is a little out of our price range, but some areas around it like Palmyra and Louisa are a little less expensive.

And what about closer Richmond, say between Charlottesville and Richmond..... are there any nice towns there that someone can recommend. Or does it get more pricey as you get closer to Richmond.

Also how is the crime in these areas? ARe the schools good?

Thanks, Lea :-)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 12:18 PM

1,341 posts, read 5,630,267 times
Hi Lea, I believe there are folks who live in or near Charlottesville who should respond soon and prove helpful to you.

I'd suggest that you also consider Roanoke and the Roanoke Valley:

http://encyclopedia.quickseek.com/images/Roanokeaerial.jpg (broken link)

It's under two hours Southwest of Charlottesville. We also have two girls ages 4 and 7. We originally moved to the town of Blacksburg, VA from Vermont in 2004. In late '04 we began searching for a horse farm in Western Virginia and considered property in Blacksburg, Charlottesville and the Roanoke area. As a self-employed "dotcom" internet business developer I was most concerned with first finding the best places subjectively for our family and then next, the tie breaker would be, chiefly, a more objective cost:benefit comparison. When we were farm shopping, I found Charlottesville and Roanoke quite comparable in the subjective sense. Both looked like great places to raise kids. But when I looked at properties in both places, I kept shaking my head. To make a long story short, we got twice the farm for half the money in Boones Mill, VA just 25 minutes from downtown Roanoke.

There are great schools all over the Roanoke metro area, including Franklin County where I live. In Roanoke City itself, the schools score noticeably lower due to more challenging socio-economic conditions. Roanoke City is a small city by area, and Roanoke County essentially matches the population of the City and is trending to outgrow it substantially. We've got great public schools. In our case, because we had the financial ability to do so, we opted to send our girls to North Cross School, a private (secular) school in Roanoke where 100% of graduates go on to college. The school is truly top notch and the tuition is kept relatively low thanks to significant Alumnae support.

Your husband might be pleased to know that it's also 2 hours closer to Mississippi It's also warmer here than in Charlottesville, typically by 4 degrees or so, which doesn't SOUND like a big difference. But when it's 33F here and it's 29F in Charlottesville, road conditions will seem a world apart.

If I knew more about your specific needs (type of work, desired family activities, outdoorsy activities, cultural etc) I could be more specific.

Cheers,

Sean

Old 02-27-2007, 09:59 AM

689 posts, read 1,369,966 times
Hi! I love Charlottesville, but you're right, it's definitely one of the pricier areas of VA. However, the Charlottesville/Albemarle County schools are great, and with UVA in town there's a ton to do. The countryside is beautiful, and skiing is 1/2 an hour away. There are good theatre and music options, and wonderful restaurants. In that respect it's like any good college town.

Congestion is a problem, and if you'd be commuting into C'ville for work, you might want to avoid the 29 corridor north of town -- while there is a bunch of new development in that area, the roads have not grown as the population has, and it's a mess. Going east on 64 is cheaper, but Goochland is a very exclusive area. Western Henrico County, just outside Richmond, puts your drive at about 45 minutes each way, and is a wonderful area for families. You might look at neighborhoods like Wellesley and Twin Hickory for examples. The 23060 and 23233 zip codes have great schools and are about 50 minutes from C'ville. To me, that's a long commute, but know several people who make that drive daily. There are some very small towns between C'ville and Richmond, but unless you really want to live in a rural community, I'd stay close to the city. Also, the schools are not as good. You might look at the Lake Monticello development. Also, you might look at Crozet. That's still in Albemarle County schools, but is a little further out. If you have more specifics, just let me know!

Old 02-27-2007, 10:16 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,634,644 times
Charlottesville is beautiful! I live in NOVA but my brother lives in Charlottesville and I just love it. The downtown area near UVA has great shopes and resturants.
But, I know they were disapponted with the public school system there. (it may just be thier neighborhood??) but they did pull my neice out of the pub. elem. and put her in private school. I check the school sites like "great schools" etc... to get ratings etc...

I would move there in a heartbeat if we could!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or