U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:12 AM

119 posts, read 291,507 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have visted Virginia several times as a child and have great memories. I was curious as to what everyone's opinion is on the Virginia area for a full-time residency. Do you feel that it is a good place to raise a family? Is there stuff to do? What do people do for jobs? I'm sure the price of living has gone up over the past several years, but I'd be coming from Florida so I'm sure it's still more expensive where I am at. This would not happen anytime soon, but I'm just exploring options. Thank you to everyone for their advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 07:22 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,840,839 times
Virginia is a big State and the cost of living depends on what area of the State you live. Northern Va can be the most expensive the closer you get to Washington. The costs can go up in Southern Va around Norfolk, Newport News area. Richmond, south west, eastern shore areas are affordable. I think Virginia is a fiscally sound and responsible State with a reasonable tax rate. It is a wealthy State with plenty of jobs.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Virginia is a big State and the cost of living depends on what area of the State you live. Northern Va can be the most expensive the closer you get to Washington. The costs can go up in Southern Va around Norfolk, Newport News area. Richmond, south west, eastern shore areas are affordable. I think Virginia is a fiscally sound and responsible State with a reasonable tax rate. It is a wealthy State with plenty of jobs.
Thank you so much for your reply. That is some great information. Is there a huge difference b/n the southern and northern part of the state. How would you say the school system is overall in the state?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,840,839 times
I would say the the north and the south are very different. Even the Richmond area (central) is much different than the north. The northern area is very much more white collar in that it contains many Federal jobs, military and corporate headquarters for many major businesses. It also has one of the wealthiest counties in the country, namely Fairfax. The schools in northern VA are consider some of the best in the country. I can't vouch for the south however, because I live in the north. I'm sure someone will come along and give you a better picture of the south than I but I'm sure it's a prosperous area.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:19 AM

1,802 posts, read 5,654,990 times
The Richmond area has a very diverse economy and good quality of life. It is a popular location for corporate headquarters (13 or so Fortune 1000 Companies) and consistently named one of the top areas for business - http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/players-change-twin-cities-still/story.aspx?guid={545526D2-EE56-472C-B568-749D0EA2AE88}&dist=TNMostRead

As the state Capital and home to the 5th Federal Reserve District HQ, 4th U.S. Circuit Court, and Fort Lee just to the south, there are a good number of government jobs as well. Healthcare, Finance, and Law are major industries. VCU and the Virginia Biotech Park have been drawing more and more Biotech firms to the region. The region's public schools consistently receive national accolades.

As a second tier city with a good quality of life, Richmond offers many of the amenities of a larger city while offering the comforts of a smaller city (slower pace, minimal congestion). The City itself is old and has lots of history... if you're looking for a shiny new place, then it's either the suburbs or somewhere else. There's a strong local arts scene, great shopping options, and good local dining (particularly in the City). There are minor league pro sports teams, but they haven't always received the strongest support... Richmond's convenient for day/weekend trips as the mountains, beach, and DC (for your big city fix) are not more than 2 hours away.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:35 AM

269 posts, read 899,928 times
I spent part of my childhood in Virginia Beach, dad was in the Navy, and that area (Hampton Roads) has some of the best schools in the Nation. Virginia as a whole is really educationally-focused, and their public state Universities (UVA, William & Mary, George Mason, Virginia Tech) provide a fine education for an affordable price. I think it's got to do with Thomas Jefferson, he founded a University and was a great thinker who embued Virginia with that aspiration.

Virginia has tons of stuff to do, especially for children, such as historical places and kid-friendly beaches, and the jobs are good if you have a college-degree.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:28 PM

1,341 posts, read 5,640,638 times
Virginia has a wide range of great places to live. Richmond has its own appeal, Virginia Beach does as well, as does NoVA, Roanoke and SWVA.

We live in the Roanoke area, out in the country (Boones Mill). One of our neighbors is from Sebring, Florida. Some of our friends are recently moved from Miami (hired as the Dir. of the Carilion Clinic Medical Group). The Roanoke area has great public and private schools. So does Richmond, V.B. and NoVA. SWVA west of Blacksburg gets very rural and although you have some good schools and lifestyles in SWVA, it might be more challenging for a family from Florida.

The bottom line is that VA has a wide variety of good places to grow roots. Oceanside living, Megalopolis living, inland Piedmont living, highland living, mountain living, etc. Your choice narrows with aesthetic preference and job prospects, but beyond that you'll make a good choice if you move to Virginia.

Sean

Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
Virginia has a wide range of great places to live. Richmond has its own appeal, Virginia Beach does as well, as does NoVA, Roanoke and SWVA.

We live in the Roanoke area, out in the country (Boones Mill). One of our neighbors is from Sebring, Florida. Some of our friends are recently moved from Miami (hired as the Dir. of the Carilion Clinic Medical Group). The Roanoke area has great public and private schools. So does Richmond, V.B. and NoVA. SWVA west of Blacksburg gets very rural and although you have some good schools and lifestyles in SWVA, it might be more challenging for a family from Florida.

The bottom line is that VA has a wide variety of good places to grow roots. Oceanside living, Megalopolis living, inland Piedmont living, highland living, mountain living, etc. Your choice narrows with aesthetic preference and job prospects, but beyond that you'll make a good choice if you move to Virginia.

Sean
Thank you for the information. Where I am in Florida is pretty fast paced. We have everything by us that we need. I just want a change of scenery. Is VA similar to that or is it more small town living? I know there are many hubs for jobs but where would you say is the best place for employment? How are the winters there?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:22 AM

174 posts, read 459,652 times
What kind of work will you be looking for?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALover View Post
What kind of work will you be looking for?
I work at a college. From what I understand, Virginia is rich with many of Universities is that correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia