U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-02-2007, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,778 times
Default Smith Mountain Lake Area

Hello all,

My wife and I were just on vacation and were looking for areas to relocate to and visited the Smith Mountain Lake area and we really liked what we saw. Here's our situation: I'm a NYC firefighter who can retire in 3 1/2 years and my wife is an occupational therapist. Our children are 11 and 10, so if we were to move when I retire ( at least from the FDNY), my children would be starting high school. We presently live on the North Fork of Long Island which is somewhat rural. Our school district is good and we want to move to an area with good schools. What town/towns around the lake have the best school district. We spoke to a realtor and he indicated we should look in Franklin county. We've looked at the school report cards but they don't always give a true picture of how good a school really is. Any information would be much appreciated. Have a great day. John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 07:29 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,230,193 times
Hey John, I live in Boones Mill, Franklin County. The Franklin County high school is a well regarded public school in Rocky Mount. Are you thinking of getting lakefront property? If so, for the sake of your kids I'd recommend trying to get something that would minimize your kids' commute into Rocky Mount. I know some kids on the far end of the lake can sit on the bus for close to an hour - one way! I've got many friends on the lake and they enjoy it, although most are older w/ children full grown.

In any case I think you'd love the lake and Franklin County is (in my mind) the best side to settle on. Lower taxes, better rural schools, more state and national parks, and the benefits of being closer to Roanoke. It's a great place to live and we're very happy to have found this area; I'm an internet business developer and we could have settled anywhere, and I've no regrets about settling here. So much to do - and to take part in - and so little of the metro hassles to deal with.

We've got two young girls and they attend North Cross, a private K12 school in Roanoke, about 25 minutes from us. If you wanted the best area education it's hard to beat North Cross ($9K/year for North Cross for a high school age child). I'm not sure how close you could get to North Cross and still on the lake though.

If you do opt for the lake I'd buy yesterday. Otherwise the lot you see for $400,000 today will be over $625,000 in 2.5 years. SML is one of the hottest pockets of growth in the entire state.

If you have any other questions just ask, if I don't know the answer I can ask around!

Sean

Old 03-02-2007, 07:51 PM

73 posts, read 330,972 times
Hi John!

Smith Mountain Lake is a great place, as long as you're ok with the development that's going on. It's pretty out of control!

As for the schools, I have heard from my father, who has lived there for the past 20+ years, that Franklin County schools are awesome. Keep in mind, though, that as of right now, there is only ONE high school for the entire county. That may change in the next few years, but just keep it in mind for the time being that if it's not built by the time your kids need it, they could be riding a bus forEVER. As in, a couple of hours every day.

The northern side of the lake is Bedford County. I do not know how good the schools are in that county, but the town of Bedford isn't far from the lake, so there would be less of a commute for the kids there.

Hope I helped somewhat!

Old 07-21-2007, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 7,450 times
Default Franklin Co. schools

We just relocated to Smith Mtn Lake, with a teenage son. I researched the area schools for many lake communities, and Franklin Co., VA was the best rated. The high school is in the top 10 for Virginia in SOL scores (our state test). Yes, there is only 1 high school for the county, but that provides a lot of extra services that smaller schools do not have. My son will be a 10th grader when school starts. He has already joined the football team, and was warmly welcomed by the coaches and the players this summer. The community offers a lot of activities for students, compared to the other lake towns we visited which were predominantly retirees. Our neighborhood (on the lake) has a lot of kids and permanent residents. We moved here from Northern Virginia, which has great public schools, so school choice was at the top of the list of considerations.
I too am an occupational therapist, and see a lot of job opportunities here on the Franklin side of the lake.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:23 PM

5 posts, read 8,387 times
Default Which community to live in

DTROWBRIDGE - DO YOU MIND IF I ASK WHICH SUBDIVISION YOU LIVE IN. WE ARE ALSO LOOKING TO POSSIBLY MOVE TO SML NEXT YEAR WHEN WE RETIRE FROM THE MILITARY. WE HAVE ONE 8-YEAR-OLD SON. WE WANT TO LIVE ON THE LAKE IN A SUBDIVISION WITH MOSTLY FULL-TIMERS AND KIDS IN THE BEST SCHOOL DISTRICT!! THANKS!!! PS. If you do not feel comfortable posting the name of your subdivision, let me know, and I will provide you with my email address.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:36 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,791,119 times
murrayboxer - since the person your are asking questions of only posted once and that was 4 years ago you are not likely to get an answer.

Might want to checkout this blog post by Doug Thompson in Blue Ridge Muse:

Harsh, economic realities at Smith Mountain Lake | Blue Ridge Muse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia