Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:33 AM

8 posts, read 45,837 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much. I will mail you soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 14,167 times
Default Hi I have some info. on your grandmother

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyblue View Post
My grandma is from Drill, Va. Her name was Biddy Osborne- Harris. I am trying to find out about my family roots. Osborne is her maiden name, her mom's surname was Rachel Brown. My grandpa is from there and I have never even met him, his name is Charles Stover. Any info would be great.
Thanks!!
I have been to your grandma's house many times as a child. And in fact I was best friends with Darlis (Polly) and I knew your grandmother Biddy
and G-grandmother Rachel Osborne. I never knew anything about a Charles Stover though... Biddy's old home is within sight of where I currently reside and have for 68 years. I have a neighbor who is your second cousin her name is Eva Osborne Fuller. Have you ever been to Drill? Contrary to some people's opinion on this forum Drill is now a very modern and crime-free area to live. Believe it or not less than 20 miles away there's the Appalachain Law School. We also have the Southwest VA. Community College which is a mere 14 miles away.

Sincerely,

An old friend of Beatrice and Darlis.

Last edited by DrillMayor; 04-11-2007 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: mispelled words

Old 04-11-2007, 10:36 PM

Fuzzyblue, Think the fellow who knows all about Drill could tell us how to work a camera? Maybe my son Jeffro who graduated third grade can tell us how!!! (LoL)

Old 04-14-2007, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,717 times
Drill is a great place to live. I know Eva Osborne also. She ia a wonderful neighbor and friend.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:21 PM

My mother is Darlis! She was grandma's first child. She is living up in Marion Ohio. Aunt Beatrice has passed away from a brain tumor a couple of years ago. Mom has told me her nickname was Polly. Someday soon I will be down to visit. I am trying to get her to come with me.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:52 PM

Do you know if she would be one of my relatives?

Old 04-27-2007, 08:54 PM

Do you know what my G-grandma's maiden name was?

Old 05-09-2007, 04:49 PM

Your g-Great grandmother was a Duty before marriage.Yes, Eva is a first cousin to Darlis.I sent you a private message,with Eva's telephone number.She said for some of you to call her,she would love to hear from you.C.I.B.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,585 times
Inquiring about Drill Virginia History. My Whitt ancestors are buried on Drill Mt
at Whitt cemetary.
Thank you

Old 11-09-2007, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,572 times
Default Raised in Drill

I was born and raised in Drill Va. It is a very small area, mostly a family type community. Years ago there was a post office and two grocery stores in what we called the head of Drill. Jacksons Grocery and the post office was operated by the Crouse family. There was a railroad that ran through there many years ago.I believe it was an old mining camp. We lived on that former railroad grade. (my mom still lives there) There was a little community church named Drill Baptist Church (still there and still blessing the community). There has been a small book or magazine written by one of Drill's locals about some of the history of Drill and some photo's of some of the people.
There was another little store/pool hall called Coleman's Gro. (this is where we stayed in the morning to catch the school bus to stay warm.) I'm sure there are people in Drill that would love to give info.
Would like to no more about my own family history. Grandfathers name Burie (B.E.) Dye , grandmother Gracie Johnson, Thomas, Dye.

Last edited by fancythat; 11-09-2007 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: miss spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia