U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 PM

31 posts, read 172,389 times
Angry Virginia Smog Laws

Hi,
I am moving to Williamsburg as soon as I find a job there. My car is a 98 Firebird Trans AM with the WS-6 package on it. I bought it from CarMax (horrible experience there, I highly don't recommend) 2 years ago. So this year smog was due. I found out that my car has high flow after market catalylic converters on it. Needless to say in tight ass California, it didn't pass smog for that reason. (It otherwise passed smog very beautifully)
So, I am trying to find out if when I move to Virginia, if these parts are legal there?
If it's legal there I will keep my car the way it is. I love my car the way that it is. And if I don't need to change the catalyic converters, then that will be great for me since I am currently looking for work (i.e. don't have the extra money at the moment.)
I didn't buy it for the gas mileage, so that alone would not be a reason for me to change it, especially since I don't drive the car that much.
The car is 11 years old now and I have just over 70,000 miles on it. Please help. And sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, but it is a relocating question about car issues.
Thanks again.
PS: California sucks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 01:29 PM

14,076 posts, read 9,747,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjharrisons#1fan View Post
PS: California sucks.
Welcome to the "Former California Residents" club. I'm in Nevada right now, but will be joining you in Virginia within the next year or two - we're looking at Roanoke.

Can't help you on the smog question, though. I do know that they require (or at least they did when we were going to be moving there in '04) an annual inspection, and you have to put this silly sticker on the bottom-center of your windshield. I didn't care for that in the rental we had, and I'm not looking forward to having it on our cars after we move. I can deal with a small minus in exchange for all of the pluses of living there, though.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 PM

14,076 posts, read 9,747,045 times
I also found this, which may be useful - it doesn't address your specific question, though.

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 01-08-2009, 09:37 AM

3,461 posts, read 3,532,363 times
Virginia currently does have have emissions tests, you will be required though to pass the state inspection. Ask people at work who gives a "fair" inspection, they all follow the same guidelines but some are more picky than others.

I lived in CA, I went through the roof when I bought a new car in AZ brought it to CA and had to get an emission test to register. I never did, I left the state for VA 2 months later and registered here.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,528,700 times
We don't go to the extreme California does. Once a year a state inspection is required. The only problem I would fret is if your catalytic converter is not in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia