U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 PM

77 posts, read 117,429 times

Advertisements

I live in newport news and travel all through va. Richmond and norfolk are the most dangerous. Newport news-hampton petersburg hopewell dinwiddie area are rough but not really cities.portions of roanoke are bad as well. Danville is not my idea of a city less than 100000 people is not a city but those towns are rough too south boston martinsville. Northern va is jus d.c suburbs its not rough imo. Dangerous and rough are different certain area is impossible no hood is worst than another park place or tidewater park or norview or huntersville in norfolk is no worst than southside richmond or jacson ward or downtown newport news or aqueduct or dresden. Roanokes northside has areas just as bad its no better or worst but danger richmond and norfolk are the worst wit 3rd going to portsmouth and newport news-hampton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 04:20 AM

513 posts, read 806,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
NOVA...hands down is the worst area in the state. The area may have some nicer ammenities that aren't throughout the rest of the state and it is w/o question the economic engine of the state. However, if we are talking about people only is HAS to be NOVA...for me anyway. It's overpopulated with arrogant migrants from the northeast who have a fundamental problem with being in/from VA. Whenever I see someone with a VT or UVA shirt on I usually ask them where in the state their from because I went to UVA so it's nice to strke up a convo with someone...(i live in AZ now so, seeing these shirts is a little rare). Some people are like, "oh, i'm from roanoke, or lynchburg" or wherever and they are usually happy to speak with a fellow Virginia. These people are usually REAL virginians, i.e., they are from the state...their parents are...and their grandparents were. When I encounter someone from NOVA they always ensure to say...Oh I'm from Northern Virginia or DC with an almost apologetic grimace on their face. Now I know that I am stereotyping but this has just been my experience. I once saw a guy at Chipotle who complimented on my UVA hat...he asked if I went to school there and I replied yes...he apparently went to VA Tech...He then went on to explain that it was "all that he could do" to be among the "mouth-breathers" in that part of the state and that the rest of Virginia is a "disgusting pit void of any intelligent life." He went on to explain that outside of NOVA is nothing but rednecks, KKK supporters, Jesus freaks, and hillbillies...........

Now I know that we have our problems in SWVA but good god...at least we have manners.

Now I know that this isn't all NOVA natives..there are probably just as many decent people from NOVA as there are from all other corners of the state, but my experience thus far with people from Northern Virginia has been pretty consistent. They all seem to have an issue with the states history, they ALWAYS refer to the state as mid-atlantic as opposed to it's traditional designation as a southern state, and they almost always seem to go out of there way to ensure that you know that NORTHERN Virginia or "DC Area" is where they are from as opposed to just...Virginia. When people ask me I just typically say Virginia...but I guess it is too much of a social risk for them to potentially be associated with the rest of us heathens.

Richmond city is a joke. No shopping, pathetic public transportation, no real sports teams, empty downtown area Sun-thur. You went to UVA and were around alot of people from Jersey/ny and you have a inferior complex to everyone from NOVA? LMAO You need to get out more.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:42 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,794,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
Richmond city is a joke. No shopping, pathetic public transportation, no real sports teams, empty downtown area Sun-thur. You went to UVA and were around alot of people from Jersey/ny and you have a inferior complex to everyone from NOVA? LMAO You need to get out more.
Well, I reread my post from a while back and I'm not sure where I discussed Richmond. Further...I don't have an inferiority complex in the slightest...I'm very happy to be from an area where manners and common decency are the norm in opposition to smug arrogance and bitter cynicism. Oh...and BTW...technically NOVA has no real sports teams either. If you're going to hurl your pissy little (attempted) insults you need to make sure you have your sh*t in order.

Ah...and to address your last sentence.....I "get out" plenty. Enough to know that NOVA and it's "success" is 100% the byproduct of an expansive federal government and it's growth is tied exclusively to the administrations whims, ebbs, and/or flows. If it weren't for proximity only, NOVA would collapse into itself like a fading neutron star. So maybe before you people "toot" your own horns for some false sense of success you should look into the fact that your economic existence is exclusively tied to the money that is taken from the rest of us and force-fed into your sh*thole.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:53 AM

6,578 posts, read 10,883,663 times
A few of you need to grow up and learn some manners.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:54 AM

77 posts, read 117,429 times
Virginias cities are richmond norfolk roanoke alexandria lynchburg arlington newportnews portsmouth and all of the cities to me are much more violent even than the bad country small town half cities i have soent a lot of time in petersburg hopewell area and south Boston danville and franklin emporia area these are the rougher small towns but more because of looks you will not see crack dealers on the corners and stores not even in petersburg actual cities in va are much more dangerous imho

Old 10-11-2013, 12:09 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,245,949 times
what??????????

Old 10-12-2013, 02:38 AM

6,578 posts, read 10,883,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc919va757sc803 View Post
Virginias cities are richmond norfolk roanoke alexandria lynchburg arlington newportnews portsmouth and all of the cities to me are much more violent even than the bad country small town half cities i have soent a lot of time in petersburg hopewell area and south Boston danville and franklin emporia area these are the rougher small towns but more because of looks you will not see crack dealers on the corners and stores not even in petersburg actual cities in va are much more dangerous imho
You might try a few capital letters, commas and periods. Just saying.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:59 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,093,906 times
A lot of ignorant nonsense about Richmond in this thread. Or at least stuff thAts 30 years out of date

Old 10-15-2013, 09:46 AM

745 posts, read 911,383 times
Worst area of Virginia = anywhere that's not Northern Virginia. The Tidewater is also cool...for the beach and stuff.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:32 AM

370 posts, read 883,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Worst area of Virginia = anywhere that's not Northern Virginia. The Tidewater is also cool...for the beach and stuff.
Wow, even city-data has trolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia