U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 06:45 PM

891 posts, read 757,146 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna go with Woodbridge. At least some of the other bad area in the state could potentially be charming. Woodbridge is scorched earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 06:26 AM

4,161 posts, read 2,783,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
I'm gonna go with Woodbridge. At least some of the other bad area in the state could potentially be charming. Woodbridge is scorched earth.
Negative! Lol although there are many nicer areas of Nova...

The consensus on this thread seems to revolve around Newport News/Danville/Petersburg. I will say, Petersburg can be depressing, but it has character and great urban bones. There are some really good restaurants, Downtown has been somewhat gentrified and the city has a lot of history. The worst thing is the poverty and lack of a mobile or diverse economy. In that sense, The Commonwealth has failed Petersburg. In appearance, in culture, it is almost identical to Richmond. I wish the capital had more of an economic tie to Petersburg, because the same transformation that has overcome Rich over the last decade, could have been happening to Petersburg, the two cities are connected in many ways, but Petersburg was forgotten about in gentrification. It hasn't really happened outside of Downtown and maybe South Crater...

Hopewell got a few mentions in this thread, but it has always been somewhat better than Petersburg. It looks more like a Tidewater city, and the worst neighborhoods in Hopewell are not as bad as the worst streets in Petersburg. In the last decade they've really built up the Oaklawn Blvd area of Prince George/Hopewell, and they've gentrified downtown as well , tearing down projects. I think it seems they are trying to make the Tri-Cities more livable. I wouldn't recommend anyone my age (I'm 26) move there, but only for the lack of entertainment and lifestyle options---but what the hell, Richmond is 20 minutes away and that's where everyone goes anyway. There is a decent nightlife scene in the Tri-Cities, though, and some good eats, if you collectively compare it to other cities of 75,000...

Richmond got a real bad rap in this thread. Even areas notoriously bad (Chamberlayne through Barton Heights/Brookland Park/Ginter Park) are MUCH safer and cleaner than they were a pre-2005. My mother had a good friend who lived on 1st in Jackson Ward, and we spent a lot of time in the Jackson/Gilpin area. To compare it today in 2015 (I was last home back in April) to what it was when I was growing up in the late 90s/early 00s, is mind-blowing. Jackson Ward has completely flipped, that used to be one of the scariest areas of the city, and now it has all kinds of shops that never existed, and the homes have DEFINITELY been remodeled/restored...

Some of you who bash Richmond either haven't been in s long time or were never that familiar with the city to begin with...

Old 09-10-2015, 08:19 AM

5,081 posts, read 5,346,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Totally disagree. Sure, there are some parts of Woodbridge that are not as desirable but that's the case of nearly every city/town in America.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:00 PM

96 posts, read 131,784 times
Agree with HokieFan.

Woodbridge isn't nice compared to most of Northern Virginia. But if you randomly plucked someone from California or Texas or NYC and took them on a tour of Woodbridge, Danville, and Petersburg....every single person would pick to live in Woodbridge over Danville and Petersburg.

As I've posted before...once you've lived a while in a Virginia metro, you'll end up meeting people from all across the state. Every area tends to have its boosters and detractors. But, in my experience, Danville is the only city in which I've never met a migrant who had a nice thing to say about it. You hear "There are some nice people there"...but you never hear anyone say anything nice about the city itself. That's rare.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:45 PM

891 posts, read 757,146 times
All of that is true but what a place like Danville has that Woodbridge does not is potential. Most of NoVa is very nice. Even the parts that aren't charming are very nice. Woodbridge is neither charming nor nice. It looks like much of the blight is being replaced by massive and cheap (yet expensive)apartment /townhouse developments. The boarded up Kmart and Safeway were nicer. Woodbridge and Emporia are the saddest places that I've seen in Virginia.

IMO, folks would pick Petersburg over either Woodbridge or Danville. All three places can be pretty creepy though and I'd hate to live in any of them.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:48 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
I guarantee I know Woodbridge better than most anyone on this site and Woodbridge is not as bad as many on here like to state. While I used to also jokingly refer to Woodbridge as Hoodbridge it was only due to a few areas. There are many good areas in Woodbridge for both people starting out or for someone wanting to buy in a really nice area. As far as I'm concerned the biggest drawback is its proximity to I 95.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:59 PM

83 posts, read 96,723 times
I would have to say I guess it depends on what kind of crime you are used to. People that have always lived in the state can be quick to say they would never visit a certain area - and people's versions are going to be different based on background and yes dare I say it, race. One person will say an area seems unsafe because homeless people hang around a grocery store, others say they hear gunshots every day in their part of town.

I visit this forum regularly because I plan on moving to Virginia next year - been studying the Roanoke and Charlottesville areas because I love the mountains. But I also took a trip to VA beach this year because my daughter loves the water, and let me tell you from an outsiders perspective that I would rather live ANYWHERE in Virginia than 30 minutes east of Detroit where I pretty much have been cursed with my entire life. Your state is beautiful, the people are friendly, and anyone that lives in Virginia should be grateful.

I'm sure that some areas are less desirable than others, but sometimes you don't know what you have until you don't anymore. Just saying

Old 09-12-2015, 07:20 PM

11,360 posts, read 20,154,735 times
TY - Va is beautiful!! There are some shady areas for sure (as there are EVERYWHERE) - but all in all, it's a beautiful state IMO.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:29 AM

998 posts, read 875,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Lebeck View Post
I would have to say I guess it depends on what kind of crime you are used to. People that have always lived in the state can be quick to say they would never visit a certain area - and people's versions are going to be different based on background and yes dare I say it, race. One person will say an area seems unsafe because homeless people hang around a grocery store, others say they hear gunshots every day in their part of town.

I visit this forum regularly because I plan on moving to Virginia next year - been studying the Roanoke and Charlottesville areas because I love the mountains. But I also took a trip to VA beach this year because my daughter loves the water, and let me tell you from an outsiders perspective that I would rather live ANYWHERE in Virginia than 30 minutes east of Detroit where I pretty much have been cursed with my entire life. Your state is beautiful, the people are friendly, and anyone that lives in Virginia should be grateful.

I'm sure that some areas are less desirable than others, but sometimes you don't know what you have until you don't anymore. Just saying
Thanks for this Anita, I agree 200%

Old 09-15-2015, 07:54 AM

4,505 posts, read 2,958,696 times
Danville. Hands down. Yes, I've been to Hampton Roads, Richmond and NoVA. I've been here since 2011. I don't live in the city limits but I'm only a few miles from it so I have to constantly commute there. There's no jobs, most of the people there are rude ass----- who look at you like you're from another planet when you try to be friendly and say "hi". I've seen other people who moved to Danville from elsewhere get treated the same way. I'm not originally from here (grew up around Goldsboro, NC) so unless you're originally from Danville or somewhere nearby, you can forget it. People here are NOT welcoming to outsiders. The traffic is terrible for a mid-size city. Try driving down Piney Forest Road or Riverside Drive especially when a lot of the people can't drive for s--- and constantly pull out in front of incoming traffic. However, the biggest issue I have is the healthcare here. Healthcare here sucks. Danville Regional Medical Center is a pit. Centra Gretna ER isn't worth a damn either, but DRMC is the worst hospital I've ever been to. Even the pharmacists at CVS Pharmacy warned me not to go there. Anyway, before anybody says "why don't you just leave?", believe me I'm working on it. Danville might have been a decent place in it's heyday, but it's a cesspool now.

TL;DR Danville. It's a piece of trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia