U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:03 PM

345 posts, read 894,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01va571 View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA it's a picture of Mumbai India LMFAO.
You got me!!! (And I'm glad!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 07:29 PM

290 posts, read 1,042,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
Is this picture FOR REAL???? This looks like a hovel in South America!!! (Didn't mean to insult South America but there are terrible areas in different countries there...)
Excuse me sir, Im going to need you to log off.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:08 AM

39 posts, read 71,872 times
that's too bloody easy richmond just aviod it at all coast unless you want to get killed.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:45 AM

16 posts, read 49,541 times
as im sitting here in class, i have to admit this has been an interesting read...

wouldnt want to live in: portsmouth, some areas of norfolk, richmond, petersburg, fairfax (graduated from hs there-lived in a nice area, went to a high ranked hs-but just dont like the kind of people who live there)

i go to school in hampton right now and there are def some hidden jewels here! (as in neighborhoods) the homes near the waterfront over near kecoughtan and lasalle are so cute and peaceful and exquisite. most of the homes either have big beautiful porches or little white picket fences with their perfectly upkept lawns and gardens. sometimes when i drive around there, i see women sitting on their porches sipping lemonade. lol its too cute..

Old 06-09-2009, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,452 times
The Single Worst Place to Live in Virginia: WAYNESBORO--about 30 miles west of Charlottesville.If you aren't White, Southern, or American: FOGETTABOUTIT!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,216,425 times
Quote:
I would like to nominate Northwest Roanoke to the forum….

There were 1131 reports of shots fired in Roanoke in 2005, and only a tiny percentage were "written-up" by Roanoke Police as "valid". Northwest Roanoke is roughly a mile or somewhat over a mile long. Most shooting in the city take place in Northwest, so that would calculate something like 2-4 shootings a day. That part of the city had 12 murders in 6 months, there were 16 murders that year however the city doesn’t even meet up to a population of 100,000. Twice in 4 years Roanoke ranked as Virginias second most dangerous city.

On top of it all, according to the “Department of Justice Criminal Services: Virginia Crime Trends 1998-2007” from 1998 to 2007 the violent crime rate declined in all regions of Virginia except the West Central region.

Here’s an interesting article from 2006.
Why is Roanoke so dangerous? - Roanoke.com

Then there is allot of BAD sh*t going on with the police in Roanoke. The police were caught on camera around 2007, with two officers beating the living sh*t out of a man who was handcuffed.

Check out Ronaoke on SpotCrime.
Roanoke Crime Map - Showing Crime in Roanoke, US - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here
I actually grew up in North West Roanoke, and while it was bad, its not nearly as bad as some would have you to believe. Even within the area, crime was highly concentrated (within the streets surrounding Lafayette and within the Lansdowne housing projects).

I think one of the biggest problems with Roanoke (and that area) is the gang problem that the police refuse to acknowledge. (Can't have people thinking Roanoke has gangs or we might lose those "Best Places to Retire" and "All-American City" awards we keep getting, now can we). Unfortunately thats the mentality many in authority have, so they just ignore the problem and try to sweep it under the rug.

Plus that area of Roanoke is really neglected. You never see any types of public improvement going on and there is never a police presence until after something happens.

Again, the 'bad' part of Northwest only makes up a handful of blocks within that quadrant of the city...so not all of Northwest is 'bad'....its actually very safe.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:57 PM

345 posts, read 894,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
Excuse me sir, Im going to need you to log off.
Why are you going "to need you to log off?" And I'm not a "sir"...

Old 06-14-2009, 02:11 PM

555 posts, read 2,437,146 times
Quote:
No, im sorry but you are mistaken. Ashburn is the crime capital of Virginia. Ashburn is gangster, you dont want to drive round da farms at night, it's dangerous round durr.

You obviously have never been to Northern Virginia or you would think differently about Nawthern Viginiee Baa. do you know what the skyline looks like thurr? Take a look at the overcrowding problems that have in return been the responsibility of multiple murders.
, that actually made me laugh.

I would caste my vote for Porstmouth/Hampton/Va Beach area for crime. However, I HATE what northern Va has turned out to be. I can't stand the traffic and rude people.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:13 PM

555 posts, read 2,437,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwlv View Post
has anyone nominated Woodbridge, yet?
I think if you want to pick two to three neighborhoods in the general area ( Georgetown Village, Bayview) you may have a point, but there are way too many nicer neighborhoods bordering them to call the whole area ghetoo. I would call Dumfries ghetto before Woodbridge.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:33 AM

738 posts, read 3,565,277 times
I don't think I've added my 2 cents here yet.

I'd have to say that the worst city in Virginia is Hopewell (South of Richmond). It's just a ton of industry and run-down houses.

I will have to say though... they are really trying to improve their downtown area. They're adding brick sidewalks and such... but putting lipstick on a pig isn't going to do much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia