Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:28 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times

Advertisements

NOVA...hands down is the worst area in the state. The area may have some nicer ammenities that aren't throughout the rest of the state and it is w/o question the economic engine of the state. However, if we are talking about people only is HAS to be NOVA...for me anyway. It's overpopulated with arrogant migrants from the northeast who have a fundamental problem with being in/from VA. Whenever I see someone with a VT or UVA shirt on I usually ask them where in the state their from because I went to UVA so it's nice to strke up a convo with someone...(i live in AZ now so, seeing these shirts is a little rare). Some people are like, "oh, i'm from roanoke, or lynchburg" or wherever and they are usually happy to speak with a fellow Virginia. These people are usually REAL virginians, i.e., they are from the state...their parents are...and their grandparents were. When I encounter someone from NOVA they always ensure to say...Oh I'm from Northern Virginia or DC with an almost apologetic grimace on their face. Now I know that I am stereotyping but this has just been my experience. I once saw a guy at Chipotle who complimented on my UVA hat...he asked if I went to school there and I replied yes...he apparently went to VA Tech...He then went on to explain that it was "all that he could do" to be among the "mouth-breathers" in that part of the state and that the rest of Virginia is a "disgusting pit void of any intelligent life." He went on to explain that outside of NOVA is nothing but rednecks, KKK supporters, Jesus freaks, and hillbillies...........

Now I know that we have our problems in SWVA but good god...at least we have manners.

Now I know that this isn't all NOVA natives..there are probably just as many decent people from NOVA as there are from all other corners of the state, but my experience thus far with people from Northern Virginia has been pretty consistent. They all seem to have an issue with the states history, they ALWAYS refer to the state as mid-atlantic as opposed to it's traditional designation as a southern state, and they almost always seem to go out of there way to ensure that you know that NORTHERN Virginia or "DC Area" is where they are from as opposed to just...Virginia. When people ask me I just typically say Virginia...but I guess it is too much of a social risk for them to potentially be associated with the rest of us heathens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 13,901 times
Naples florida, collier county far the worst for medium class people
collier county is for millionaires
there is no social service help or anything in collier
everyone has to go to ft meyers approx 20 miles n of collier
EVEN TO EAT AT A AFFORDABLE DINER
RIDICULOUS PLACE TO CONSIDER LIVING UNLESS YOU MAKE AT LEAST 85,000 PLUS PER YEAR
HOUSING IS SO HIGH AS ARE GROCERIES AND GAS DOWN HERE
NO WONDER EVERYONE IS LEAVING NO JOBS EITHER PLUS THE RATES ON EVERYTHING HAVE BEEN
PASSED ALONG TO WHO COULD NOT AFFORD TO LEAVE THE AREA

Old 08-14-2012, 09:26 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times
This is a Virginia forum sweetheart...keep it trucking on to FL.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 8,494 times
Default verifiable, mathematical facts about va crime

Factually speaking, Norfolk and Portsmouth VA have ALWAYS had higher murder/violent crime numbers than Newport News. In Hampton Roads/Tidewater/"The 7 Cities", Newport News historically comes in third behind Norfolk and Portsmouth. For the state of VA, ONLY Richmond has comparable murder/violent crime numbers. Petersburg, Roanoke, or any other burg or ville or oke or whatever/wherever does not come close. People clearly think that it's a cool thing to murder and have high murder #'s because I saw fantasy-type stats for, as an example, Roanoke. And, sadly, the eastern region of the state will always have more crime and just more things going on than anywhere else in the state because of population size and location. People from the mountains and small localities should be grateful for the lack of serious violent activity.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 PM

803 posts, read 1,667,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwise7suns View Post
Factually speaking, Norfolk and Portsmouth VA have ALWAYS had higher murder/violent crime numbers than Newport News. In Hampton Roads/Tidewater/"The 7 Cities", Newport News historically comes in third behind Norfolk and Portsmouth. For the state of VA, ONLY Richmond has comparable murder/violent crime numbers. Petersburg, Roanoke, or any other burg or ville or oke or whatever/wherever does not come close. People clearly think that it's a cool thing to murder and have high murder #'s because I saw fantasy-type stats for, as an example, Roanoke. And, sadly, the eastern region of the state will always have more crime and just more things going on than anywhere else in the state because of population size and location. People from the mountains and small localities should be grateful for the lack of serious violent activity.

Really? So you're saying I can leave my door unlocked at night in Roanoke city?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Danville, Martinsville, and just about any other town east of Danville and west of Suffolk on US 58.
I live in this area east of Danville along US58 and west of Emporia and south of I-64. For the most part, I would have to agree. There are, of course, always exceptions and considering how incredible Virginia is as a rule, even this area isn't as bad as many other areas of the country. Many parts of this area do benefit from being close to some great lakes (Kerr and Gaston, Mayo and Hyco) and within an hour or so of Greensboro and Durham or Richmond and Charlottesville. Even DC isn't that far -- just under 3 hours from most areas.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Being from TN, my only real experience with VA is SWVA. My grandparents live in Gate City, I worked in Lebanon, and have numerous friends from this part of the state. SWVA is, on the whole, the poorest, most run-down area of the country I've ever had the displeasure of being in.

I'm sure other areas of VA are fine, but Buchanan, Russell, and Dickinson counties are just the pits.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:04 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,102 times
Wnewberry,
I realize that you posted this several months but it doesnt eradicate the validity of what you're saying. I am from NOVA and am guilty of what you speak of. I go out of my way to say that I am from NORTHERN VA or near DC. Guilty. However, I do think its a sense of pride in the area and the desire to be a big fish. I cant explain why there is a strong desire NOT TO be southern. Oh well, I guess I do know. Many people from NOVA mock southerners. I can attest to this bc I was born in GA and when I moved to NOVA all of my NOVA friends made fun of the way I talked and definitely didnt want anything to do with anything southern except food. Anyways, spot on post.

quote=wnewberry22;25621422]NOVA...hands down is the worst area in the state. The area may have some nicer ammenities that aren't throughout the rest of the state and it is w/o question the economic engine of the state. However, if we are talking about people only is HAS to be NOVA...for me anyway. It's overpopulated with arrogant migrants from the northeast who have a fundamental problem with being in/from VA. Whenever I see someone with a VT or UVA shirt on I usually ask them where in the state their from because I went to UVA so it's nice to strke up a convo with someone...(i live in AZ now so, seeing these shirts is a little rare). Some people are like, "oh, i'm from roanoke, or lynchburg" or wherever and they are usually happy to speak with a fellow Virginia. These people are usually REAL virginians, i.e., they are from the state...their parents are...and their grandparents were. When I encounter someone from NOVA they always ensure to say...Oh I'm from Northern Virginia or DC with an almost apologetic grimace on their face. Now I know that I am stereotyping but this has just been my experience. I once saw a guy at Chipotle who complimented on my UVA hat...he asked if I went to school there and I replied yes...he apparently went to VA Tech...He then went on to explain that it was "all that he could do" to be among the "mouth-breathers" in that part of the state and that the rest of Virginia is a "disgusting pit void of any intelligent life." He went on to explain that outside of NOVA is nothing but rednecks, KKK supporters, Jesus freaks, and hillbillies...........

Now I know that we have our problems in SWVA but good god...at least we have manners.

Now I know that this isn't all NOVA natives..there are probably just as many decent people from NOVA as there are from all other corners of the state, but my experience thus far with people from Northern Virginia has been pretty consistent. They all seem to have an issue with the states history, they ALWAYS refer to the state as mid-atlantic as opposed to it's traditional designation as a southern state, and they almost always seem to go out of there way to ensure that you know that NORTHERN Virginia or "DC Area" is where they are from as opposed to just...Virginia. When people ask me I just typically say Virginia...but I guess it is too much of a social risk for them to potentially be associated with the rest of us heathens.[/quote]

Old 02-21-2013, 01:29 AM

210 posts, read 394,305 times
The central american gangs overtook the area in the 90's but its under control now. Why do you assume all hispanics who live there are illegal immigrants? so racist. A townhouse in culmore is valued at $450,000 so that is definitely not poor. You're ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01va571 View Post
CULMORE in Seven Corners is horrible. I would never consider living there, NEVER. You can just glance at it and tell Illegal immigration took over. The area has been a breeding ground for spanish gangs. Its a large area that consists of low income apartments and such surrounded by small houses and such. There are very few area's I wouldnt consider going around and walking around in Northern Virginia, but Culmore is one of them.

1 more neighborhood or area for Northern Virginia would be the Georgetown South neighborhood in Manassas. There is a MAJOR illegal immigration/ Gang problem in Manassas in general but seems to be consintrated in and around Georgetown South and a couple other neighborhoods I cant recall the names, one of which is a trailer park area.

A couple area's in Alexandria off rt1 are not that great either.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
NOVA...hands down is the worst area in the state. The area may have some nicer ammenities that aren't throughout the rest of the state and it is w/o question the economic engine of the state. However, if we are talking about people only is HAS to be NOVA...for me anyway. It's overpopulated with arrogant migrants from the northeast who have a fundamental problem with being in/from VA. Whenever I see someone with a VT or UVA shirt on I usually ask them where in the state their from because I went to UVA so it's nice to strke up a convo with someone...(i live in AZ now so, seeing these shirts is a little rare). Some people are like, "oh, i'm from roanoke, or lynchburg" or wherever and they are usually happy to speak with a fellow Virginia. These people are usually REAL virginians, i.e., they are from the state...their parents are...and their grandparents were. When I encounter someone from NOVA they always ensure to say...Oh I'm from Northern Virginia or DC with an almost apologetic grimace on their face. Now I know that I am stereotyping but this has just been my experience. I once saw a guy at Chipotle who complimented on my UVA hat...he asked if I went to school there and I replied yes...he apparently went to VA Tech...He then went on to explain that it was "all that he could do" to be among the "mouth-breathers" in that part of the state and that the rest of Virginia is a "disgusting pit void of any intelligent life." He went on to explain that outside of NOVA is nothing but rednecks, KKK supporters, Jesus freaks, and hillbillies...........

Now I know that this isn't all NOVA natives..there are probably just as many decent people from NOVA as there are from all other corners of the state, but my experience thus far with people from Northern Virginia has been pretty consistent. They all seem to have an issue with the states history, they ALWAYS refer to the state as mid-atlantic as opposed to it's traditional designation as a southern state, and they almost always seem to go out of there way to ensure that you know that NORTHERN Virginia or "DC Area" is where they are from as opposed to just...Virginia. When people ask me I just typically say Virginia...but I guess it is too much of a social risk for them to potentially be associated with the rest of us heathens.
Very cool post. I have to agree with much of this. And not as an outsider. I lived in NoVA for nearly 20 years and agree about those who claim "being from NOVA or DC" but never claiming "Virginia". I also believe much of it stems from a cliche of Virginia being rural, full of rednecks, etc. as well as not understanding (or refusing to accept) the Civil War history of the state. Being originally from South Jersey (a town in the Pine Barrens), I always had to hear similar cliches and stereotypes about hicks, guidos, big hair, the Jersey Turnpike, and our sandwiches. It's really terrible how people have the nerve to enter a discussion and talk about such stupid things. For an area so full of educated people, I found many of them to be so ignorant.

That said, we left Loudoun Co and moved to Winchester a few years back. Even here, I have to hear it from NoVANs and folks from DC about rednecks, country living, going hunting, etc. Anyone who has not been to Winchester needs to realize that alot of people out here are former Washingtonians and that this is really a great place to live. It is an incorporated city, has rural/farmland areas, as well as newish-suburban housing. But to me, the biggest difference is the sense of community which I did not feel in NoVA. Perhaps it was the transiency. Or maybe it was the "overpopulated arrogant migrants from the northeast." Nevertheless, unlike many transplants and although we have not been here for generations, when asked, I do say that am from Virginia (tho originally from South Jersey) and not from NoVA, DC or the mid-Atlantic.

Well, back to the thread -- I cannot really say that NOVA is the worst area in VA. But in many aspects, it is worse than Winchester/Frederick Co/upper Shenandoah Valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia