Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,991 times

Advertisements

The ignorance of some people, I am from Buchanan, Va. Not a pit at all... About 25 minutes north of Roanoke on I-81. Buchanan is absolutely beautiful, small farm town, old railroad town, population about 2000. Roanoke is roughly 300,000 people all together. And depending some areas and time of night, Noke an be just as bad as any city. But as long as you aren't up to no good, you should be fine in Roanoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,752 times
I think that the Hamptonroads area suffers from several problems: Low Salaries, Too Dependent On Military and Close Minded Leadership.
The average income is approximately 25,000 per year minus the military. That is why you have so many people living
in cities like Norfolk and Portsmouth. We pay all of these taxes but military officers and NCOIC benefit not locals. Also,
military dependents will work for less because it's secondary income; which the local businesses owners know.
If the military leaves this area? The entire area will fall. They are tearing down low income areas and displacing the
poor. The area had an opportunity to diversify but refused. Businesses wanted to relocate to this area in the late eighties'
but the local politics turned a blind eye. That how Charlotte and other cities grew.
We have a good ole' boy system that exist in the area with politicians' and doesn't allow for positive growth! We lack a
real mass transit system and dependent upon where you live the buses run hourly. So good luck if you live in Virginia Beach. This city council still refuses to extend the Tide services to the oceanfront but wants it the train to run to their so-
called downtown in Pembroke area of the city.
If anyone is seeking to relocate to Hampton roads; please don't!

Truthfully,
Local

Old 12-12-2015, 05:00 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,221,585 times
I have lived in several places in Virginia and agree with ADudley. Do NOT move to the Hampton Roads area without a decent job already in hand. This area's economy is built around the military. If you have a skill that a DOD contractor needs, you may get a living wage or may even be paid well.

The Hampton Roads subforum has posters who love the area and bash anyone who points out its shortcomings. Point out its short comings and you are labeled a troll. But even some of those admit that they are earning less than what they would in other parts of Virginia, but stay because they love Hampton Roads. ADudley is correct that the military dependents provide an ample supply of even professional workers willing to work for less.

The going wage for the average person here seems to be about $10-$12 an hour without benefits or even lessl. The cost of housing is high thanks to the military and their basic allowance for housing. Crime is an issue and varies from municipality to municipality. There are plenty of crimes on the Va. Beach oceanfront.

The beaches at the OBX are cleaner and quieter. Many vehicles in NN carry OBX stickers. From what I see in NN, residents do not go to Va. Beach for sand and surf. They drive a bit further.

Some of the localities have good school systems, but others are bad to fair. We have dealt with Newport News (NN) and would give it a C-. The better school districts are the ones whose student populations grew thanks to residents leaving what came to be viewed as less desirable locations. York County owes its growth due to population shifts from Hampton and NN. Not surprisingly, the York Co. schools are far better than NN and Hampton.

The geography of this region is both its blessing and its curse. It makes this region ideal for the U.S. Navy. But it makes it awful for highway travel. The traffic alone makes me want to leave. I am tired of getting on I-64 to head anywhere and be stuck in a backup. Look at a map. I-64 runs down the middle. There are train tracks to the south that parallel I-64. There are few places to pass from Jefferson Ave. to Warwick Blvd. If I-64 has an issue, the only two feasible options quickly become a mess.

The weather sucks--- especially the summer. Taxes are high. Fleas are awful here if you have pets. I have never had an issue with roaches anywhere in Virginia, but here. The jet noise can be deafening depending on where you live. During inclement weather, the jets fly a path over my house. That grows old very fast.

I have had more mediocre and bad restaurant meals here than anywhere else. Even the chain restaurants -- of which there are plenty --- are subpar compared to their other locations. Shopping in NN is lacking. My teenage child heads to Short Pump in Richmond for school clothes shopping as there are better deals and more selection.

The good: if you like boating, this place is wonderful. The scenery can be stunning. There are many bird species if you are into bird watching. If you like hot, extremely humid summers, you will find the weather here a bonus. There are plant species that thrive here due to the weather. I am sure that there are many other good points, but the bad outweighs the good for me.

Last edited by TN Lily; 12-12-2015 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-12-2015, 09:59 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
Outside of NoVa, the salaries in Virginia are pretty hit or miss and most times a miss when compared to the CoL. They definitely are behind.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:07 PM

78 posts, read 278,058 times
Roanoke, VA!

Mismanagement
Greed
Corruption
Overtaxed
Incompetent

They can't figure how to get a road across a river or railroad track.
Major thoroughfares are little 2-lane "walkways".
Traffic signals uncoordinated.
Traffic court scams.
Malls are designed to be "pretty" but unable to access from the highway or get back to the highway and impossible to go from store to store. Haha.
Crime so bad at the mall the cops set up a portable command post at Walmart at Christmas.
They keep rebuilding that downtown area that has been dead for years but they refuse to let it die. Haha
Rain tax. Standby for the Sun Tax.
All kinds of festivals no one has ever heard of.

And my fav. Ask anyone that has been to Roanoke where to find the uglist buildin g the the entire state...its their artsy-fartsy building down town. It looks like a bad wreck between an army tank and a 1959 Buick.

Happiness is Roanoke in the rear view mirror.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:26 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,715 times
that was intelligent.....

Old 12-29-2015, 05:54 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,516 times
Somebody doesn't like Roanoke! lol

Old 12-30-2015, 01:41 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
Roanoke, VA!

Mismanagement
Greed
Corruption
Overtaxed
Incompetent

They can't figure how to get a road across a river or railroad track.
Major thoroughfares are little 2-lane "walkways".
Traffic signals uncoordinated.
Traffic court scams.
Malls are designed to be "pretty" but unable to access from the highway or get back to the highway and impossible to go from store to store. Haha.
Crime so bad at the mall the cops set up a portable command post at Walmart at Christmas.
They keep rebuilding that downtown area that has been dead for years but they refuse to let it die. Haha
Rain tax. Standby for the Sun Tax.
All kinds of festivals no one has ever heard of.

And my fav. Ask anyone that has been to Roanoke where to find the uglist buildin g the the entire state...its their artsy-fartsy building down town. It looks like a bad wreck between an army tank and a 1959 Buick.

Happiness is Roanoke in the rear view mirror.
Well, don't beat around the bush! Tell us how you really feel.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:02 AM

23 posts, read 34,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Outside of NoVa, the salaries in Virginia are pretty hit or miss and most times a miss when compared to the CoL. They definitely are behind.
NoVa is hit or miss too. I know what my friends in Austin were making three years ago, and it was more than what I make today.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:44 PM

51 posts, read 92,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Petersburg
I second that, Petersburg is a HORRIBLE city and as someone who lived there 16 years I swear by it. there are many beautiful homes, but with all it's potential it just remains a depressing dump. the people who run it couldn't manage a McDONALD'S let alone an entire city. there is one scandal after another. the real estate taxes are outrageous. I was paying $4,440 a year with my house assessed at a price I could never get for it and you get nothing for your tax dollars. when i finally gave up believing it would ever change it took me 2 1/2 years and 4 price reductions to sell my home and I was one of the lucky ones ! It can take a decade to sell a home in Petersburg. the WORST city in all of Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia