U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 01:05 PM

14 posts, read 48,864 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My daughter was just accepted to GMU, as well as a bunch of schools here in GA. Would you A. send your kid, B. would/did your kid return? Why/why not?

I keep reading that it is a commuter school - but the posts are kind of old - is that still the case?

Is the campus safe? Even the stats for the surrounding area on this site are from 2000! How is the surrounding area? Any malls or places for the kids to go when not in school?

A school here in GA that she is thinking of is way down in Stateboro, which is known as a red-neck town. I've read that the 'townies' as they are known, don't like the college kids, who are seen as rich, Atlanta brats. (They probably are, but still

Is this type of atmosphere found in the GMU area?

Also, she will live on campus as a freshman. Here in GA it's cheaper to put the kids in an apt. after that. (2 years ago, my son and 2 other room-mates rented a place with utilities for $1000/mo. they each had their own bedroom, and one of the bedrooms was the master which was en-suite. The place was gorgeous - 3 pools, work out room, club house etc.) Is it like that up there?

Since I'm originally from NY, I'm thinking no - but it doesn't hurt to ask!

TIA for any help!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 02:22 PM

96 posts, read 350,603 times
Yes, I most definatley would. GMU is located in Fairfax, VA...just outside D.C., a "suburban/urban" location. I'm sure crime statistics will reveal it is a safe place. You are correct, GMU is tradionally a "commuter school", but slowly (over the years) the campus is developing a more traditional college feel, and I'd be willing to be a sizeable percentage of the freshman class lives on campus. Still, being a large University (30K +), in terms of the student body there's a bit of everthing (on-campus, part-time, full-time, non-tradtional, graduate, doctorate, etc.)...

Hope htis helps some..good luck...

Old 01-28-2009, 11:41 AM

488 posts, read 1,581,964 times
George Mason University | Police Department |

Old 01-28-2009, 12:14 PM

23,509 posts, read 33,227,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLGAL View Post
Hi everyone,
My daughter was just accepted to GMU, as well as a bunch of schools here in GA. Would you A. send your kid, B. would/did your kid return? Why/why not?

I keep reading that it is a commuter school - but the posts are kind of old - is that still the case?

Is the campus safe? Even the stats for the surrounding area on this site are from 2000! How is the surrounding area? Any malls or places for the kids to go when not in school?

A school here in GA that she is thinking of is way down in Stateboro, which is known as a red-neck town. I've read that the 'townies' as they are known, don't like the college kids, who are seen as rich, Atlanta brats. (They probably are, but still

Is this type of atmosphere found in the GMU area?

Also, she will live on campus as a freshman. Here in GA it's cheaper to put the kids in an apt. after that. (2 years ago, my son and 2 other room-mates rented a place with utilities for $1000/mo. they each had their own bedroom, and one of the bedrooms was the master which was en-suite. The place was gorgeous - 3 pools, work out room, club house etc.) Is it like that up there?

Since I'm originally from NY, I'm thinking no - but it doesn't hurt to ask!

TIA for any help!!
GMU mainly consists of kids from Northern Va but i'd expect it has a big boost of national exposure with the schools appearence in the NCAA Final Four recently. GMU is perceived quite well in the community and the surrounding area is very educated. The campus is very safe. There are plenty of malls to go to and things to do for college kids.

Your son's standard of living is NOT possible up here. Something like that costs at least $2000 and i think i'm being too generous with that estimate.

So all in all, GMU would be a good place to send your daughter for school.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:50 PM

5,182 posts, read 13,272,659 times
It's HUGE college with wonderful programs. Don't expect the "cozy campus" feeling of some other colleges, tho....not everyone "commutes", but since most housing is off-campus, (except for freshman dorms) there isn't that close-knit feel that some other campuses have.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:03 PM

31 posts, read 115,450 times
If I hated my daughter I would send her to GMU. If I loved her, I'd send her to Old Dominion University.

www.odu.edu

GO MONARCHS!!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 PM

488 posts, read 1,581,964 times
oh god.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:43 PM

23,509 posts, read 33,227,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclesucker View Post
If I hated my daughter I would send her to GMU. If I loved her, I'd send her to Old Dominion University.

www.odu.edu

GO MONARCHS!!
C'mon now as much as i love Hampton Roads and hate Northern VA, i can't say anything bad about GMU. Yes, i would pick ODU over GMU but a quality respected education can be had at both schools.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 PM

931 posts, read 3,461,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclesucker View Post

www.odu.edu

GO MONARCHS!!
ODU? You cannot be serious. ODU is worse than VCU

GMU <<<<
VCU
ODU

Old 01-28-2009, 10:12 PM

380 posts, read 950,611 times
George Mason University is a great college and is in a safe area. The surrounding area poses no threats except high rents should she want to live off campus-so look for several roommates. As for the Old Dominion remark-to each their own, but GMU is a great school and your daughter will enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or