Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 AM

162 posts, read 657,764 times
I'm confused as to why any establishment doesn't just have a big glassed in room, with no ventilation, for smokers. If you like it that much I'm sure you'd love condensed smoke even twice as much!

It's about time Virginia got with the program and really put in an initiative to ban smoking. New York, New Jersey and many Florida restaurants that I know of are incredibly pleasant because they don't allow smoking.

If you want to smoke, fine, do it in private. As for the argument, if people don't like it they can leave. Well, that's ignorant. What if my wife is a nymphomaniac? Should we just be able to have sex wherever and whenever we want? I mean, if you don't like it you can leave, right?

See, that's how ignorant smoking is.

People should be lucky I don't lay the law of the land or it would be banned outright. I was riding yesterday with my roof open and windows down and could smell the jerk in front of my puffing on their cig. I should just have to deal with it or ride with my windows up because he wants to kill himself? I don't think so.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:56 AM

15 posts, read 41,915 times
They've done this in the UK, and its worked really well, no more nasty smoke in pubs, restaurants etc.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:11 AM

31 posts, read 134,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
New York, New Jersey and many Florida restaurants that I know of are incredibly pleasant because they don't allow smoking.
See ya, don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya

Quote:
I was riding yesterday with my roof open and windows down and could smell the jerk in front of my puffing on their cig. I should just have to deal with it or ride with my windows up because he wants to kill himself? I don't think so.
Give me a freakin' break!!! That crybaby liberal attitude is what's sending this country down the toilet. Get over yourself.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclesucker View Post
Give me a freakin' break!!! That crybaby liberal attitude is what's sending this country down the toilet. Get over yourself.
Ahhh, the sweet smell of conservatism. You know what they say, when you have no defense, attack the person.

Run along now and the adults will call you when you can come back out to play.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:14 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,508 times
While I don't live in Virginia, (Ohio is my homestate) this law is applied here and people were pretty ticked at first when it was passed. But now...nobody makes a fuss over it (that I hear of). It is really nice to walk into a restaurant/bar/ANYWHERE basically and not come out with that distinct odor. Plus, I have contacts and ever since I was a little girl, being around cigarette smoke has reallty irritated my eyes.

At first in my town, everyone said how our local bar and grill was going to lose so much business due to the new law...but the opposite happened. Even though they serve alcohol and college students frequent the place on weekends when school is in session...it has become more of a family restaurant. Their business has grown a substantial amount and the college students love it up there. I for one am very grateful for the change...

Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
While I don't live in Virginia, (Ohio is my homestate) this law is applied here and people were pretty ticked at first when it was passed. But now...nobody makes a fuss over it (that I hear of). It is really nice to walk into a restaurant/bar/ANYWHERE basically and not come out with that distinct odor. Plus, I have contacts and ever since I was a little girl, being around cigarette smoke has reallty irritated my eyes.

At first in my town, everyone said how our local bar and grill was going to lose so much business due to the new law...but the opposite happened. Even though they serve alcohol and college students frequent the place on weekends when school is in session...it has become more of a family restaurant. Their business has grown a substantial amount and the college students love it up there. I for one am very grateful for the change...
Exactly! It's the whole fearmongoring agenda that keeps this alive... "Ohh, businesses will suffer" "Ohh, we have a right to smoke!" "Ohh, what's next, they'll dictate we have to wear uniforms in public and they're going to turn us into robots!"

Old 02-09-2009, 02:35 PM

31 posts, read 134,145 times
Quote:
People should be lucky I don't lay the law of the land or it would be banned outright.

I was riding yesterday with my roof open and windows down and could smell the jerk in front of my puffing on their cig. I should just have to deal with it or ride with my windows up because he wants to kill himself? I don't think so.

You are going to lay down the law of the land huh? Gonna fund that with your Obama stimulus check?

I didn't know shortbuses had sunroofs. You must be really irritable if the guy 50 ft infront of you with wind blowing and car moving, p'd you off with a cigerette so I'll just not offend you any more.... might get the law of the land laid down on me.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclesucker View Post
You are going to lay down the law of the land huh? Gonna fund that with your Obama stimulus check?

I didn't know shortbuses had sunroofs. You must be really irritable if the guy 50 ft infront of you with wind blowing and car moving, p'd you off with a cigerette so I'll just not offend you any more.... might get the law of the land laid down on me.
I'm crushed.

Better go cling to your guns and religion, pretty soon that's going to be taken away from you too

Old 02-09-2009, 09:27 PM

534 posts, read 1,169,946 times
Quote:
That crybaby liberal attitude is what's sending this country down the toilet.
I don't think it has anything to do with being a "crybaby liberal" (or conservative). If someone chooses to engage in an activity that's hazardous to their health, fine by me. That's how we thin the herd, social Darwinism, and all that fun stuff. But when they do it in an enclosed, public place and endanger everyone else with their activity, that's when it becomes a problem.

Note: it's not everyone else's problem, but their problem. So the burden should not be on everyone else to "go somewhere else" - it should be on the person engaging in the activity to take that activity elsewhere. That's called "respect for others."

Saying "if you don't like it, don't go there" only makes sense if the vast majority of people prefer to engage in the same dangerous activity, i.e. that would have been a valid point in 1950. But I believe it's been quite some time since the majority of Americans smoked: a 1999 Gallup poll found that only 21% of Americans smoke. Democracy in action. No amount of insults or sarcastic comments are going to change that, BTW.

It's amazing how nice it is to go out at night to a restaurant or a bar and not have to reek of smoke. People didn't like the idea of such a law here in WA, either, at first - but once it went into effect, even smokers say they enjoy being able to go to places and not stink.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:18 AM

12 posts, read 37,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
everyone said how our local bar and grill was going to lose so much business due to the new law...but the opposite happened. ... Their business has grown a substantial amount ...
Exactly the point I made earlier and the experience in California and San Francisco. If the myopic bar/restaurant owners making complaints would just get their heads out of their 'good lord split' they would see they are in business to be in business and not to make unpopular political statements. ...appeal to 80% of your potential customers and make more $$.
Besides, the majority has spoken in VA; mr. Sucker will easily learn to just get along with the rest of society, I'm pretty sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia