U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2009, 05:51 AM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,628 posts, read 3,151,895 times
Reputation: 927

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
Let's break this down logically for you.

...Obviously not every person who has come in to contact from cigarette smoke has died from it. As I previously stated, the lungs can repair themselves to a certain extent. If you tried one as a kid or walked through a smokey casino a time or two, you'll probably be fine. However, prolonged or repeated exposure has significant impact on health.
I grew up with 2 parents who smoked. I became a marathon runner and found out that I had asthma. I may or may not end up with cancer, but my quality of life (and health/prescription bills) are absolutely affected.

When I am around smoke now, I can feel its effect on my breathing for up to 2 days. I end up with bronchitis at least once a year, often more, after being exposed to it.

Knowing this, I also have persistent anxiety anytime I smell it. You can't quantify the mental distress.

Living in Virginia, I have to drive much further (into D.C.) if I want to have a meal in a restaurant. Why do I have to spend more on transportation and healthcare because of the idiots who want to kill themselves?

To me, the smoking ban isn't about restriction - it is about providing FREEDOM to those of us who are currently oppressed by others' choices.

 
Old 02-16-2009, 09:39 AM
 
Location: NW Orlando
1,722 posts, read 3,436,172 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
Obviously not every person who has come in to contact from cigarette smoke has died from it. As I previously stated, the lungs can repair themselves to a certain extent. If you tried one as a kid or walked through a smokey casino a time or two, you'll probably be fine. However, prolonged or repeated exposure has significant impact on health.

You're friends might seem fine now, but just wait, just wait.
We're talking about smoking in a restaurant. How much damage could be caused by spending an hour or so having a meal? You yourself posted prolonged/repeated exposure...I don't see the connection you're making. Spending an hour in a restaurant doesn't really seem like prolonged or repeated exposure to me. Sorry if I'm not getting this but it seems like you're on some kind of mission and not sure of what your point is.

I'm curious as to your viewpoint on this: Some people have stated cell phones can cause cancer. What would happen to this country if the same kind of political rhetoric was being pushed on cell phones? Can you imagine the stir this would cause? If you're laughing about it...think back to mid 1980's before there were smoking bans of any kind. What do you think people would have said if you told them one day there would be smoking bans? I would imagine they would laugh at you...just as you and other non-smokers might be laughing about this.

Be careful what you wish for....I just saying.
 
Old 02-16-2009, 10:50 AM
 
162 posts, read 578,088 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
We're talking about smoking in a restaurant. How much damage could be caused by spending an hour or so having a meal? You yourself posted prolonged/repeated exposure...I don't see the connection you're making. Spending an hour in a restaurant doesn't really seem like prolonged or repeated exposure to me. Sorry if I'm not getting this but it seems like you're on some kind of mission and not sure of what your point is.

I'm curious as to your viewpoint on this: Some people have stated cell phones can cause cancer. What would happen to this country if the same kind of political rhetoric was being pushed on cell phones? Can you imagine the stir this would cause? If you're laughing about it...think back to mid 1980's before there were smoking bans of any kind. What do you think people would have said if you told them one day there would be smoking bans? I would imagine they would laugh at you...just as you and other non-smokers might be laughing about this.

Be careful what you wish for....I just saying.
How often do you go out for a meal? I usually am out 3-4 times per week. An average meal takes about an hour and a half. That's 6 hours a week. That's significant. Regardless, if a young child goes out even for an hour and a half a week, that's even more significant because of their growth and development.

Cell phones do cause cancer. There's no denying that either. Radiation is constantly coming out of a phone that's on. If you'd do some searching on it, you'll see the cancerous growth on some people's ear area due to prolonged exposure to cell phone radiation. Fortunately unless you're the one holding the phone or talking on it, the impact on you is minimal, unlike smoking.

I don't care if you smoke, I really don't. As a matter of fact, I hope all those that do smoke, smoke twice as much... it's that much sooner we'll be rid of them and their drain on the environment and society.

To expose others to your nasty and deadly habit is unacceptable and inhumane.
 
Old 02-16-2009, 12:02 PM
 
414 posts, read 888,268 times
Reputation: 303
I agree...even if you only go out to eat on the weekends, breathing in second hand smoke does have a long term effects. Think 3 times a week (average) and multiply that by the average lifespan of a non-smoker. I for one do not like the odds that come out of this.

Check out this website by the American Cancer Society...it pretty much breaks down the effects of secondhand smoke.


ACS :: Secondhand Smoke


I just don't see how with all the evidence and raw facts that there are about this, that it is still debatable...we already have laws about alcohol and driving; while it may not always be followed (unfortunately) it has certainly saved lives as well, by preventing many from getting behind the wheel. The ban on smoking in a public area (like a restaurant) is just more obvious and controllable.

I don't believe my health should be compromised because someone else decides to make a poor choice in terms of their health. I have friends who smoke and I would tell them that same thing. Fortunately, my friends know me and would never do that around me.
 
Old 02-16-2009, 01:07 PM
 
925 posts, read 2,129,126 times
Reputation: 365
The smell of cig smoke in a restaurant detroys the experience. It would be nice if the restaurants had the guts to ban it but most don't so it's best to level the playing field and ban it everywhere. You can go always outside to smoke if you must.
 
Old 02-16-2009, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Chesterfield, VA
1,218 posts, read 4,548,261 times
Reputation: 535
Folks, it may be a mute point. According to the news tonight, the bill has hit a snag!
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:54 AM
 
Location: NW Orlando
1,722 posts, read 3,436,172 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
The smell of cig smoke in a restaurant detroys the experience. It would be nice if the restaurants had the guts to ban it but most don't so it's best to level the playing field and ban it everywhere. You can go always outside to smoke if you must.
They have a smoking ban here in Florida and I really don't think it makes much difference to smokers. When I go out with friends, they go outside to smoke and don't mind. Of course tobacco doesn't hold a strong a history down here as it does in Virginia.
 
Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 AM
 
414 posts, read 888,268 times
Reputation: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
They have a smoking ban here in Florida and I really don't think it makes much difference to smokers. When I go out with friends, they go outside to smoke and don't mind. Of course tobacco doesn't hold a strong a history down here as it does in Virginia.

Exactly the same in Ohio!
 
Old 02-17-2009, 10:44 AM
 
162 posts, read 578,088 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
Exactly the same in Ohio!
And New Jersey...

and New York...

and Delaware...

and Maryland...

and Vermont...

and Maine...

and California...

and Hawaii...

and Oregon...

and Washington...

and Arizona...

and New Mexico...

and Colorado...

and Connecticut...

and Illinois...

and Iowa...

and Massachusetts...

and Minnesota...

and Montana...

and Nebraska...

and New Hampshire...

and Ohio...

and Puerto Rico...

and Rhode Island...

and Utah...

and that's not even listing the states that only ban it in restaurants. All the above states have STATEWIDE smoking bans.

Oh the business they're all loosing! It makes me wonder why we're not seeing all our restaurants packed with people from Maryland, and Delaware.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
134 posts, read 473,263 times
Reputation: 46
Living in a state that implemented a smoking ban, my observation is this has forced the smokers outside. Even during the winter, doorways and patio decks outside of bars almost always have smokers congregating, sometimes chatting on cell phones.

Any time I go to a sports bar with friends that smoke, I spend at least 1/2 of my time alone with the non-smokers while the smoking group is outside having a couple cigs. It's kinda like when women all go to the bathroom together... they all go out for a smoke together.

I'm a non-smoker yet never cared for this law. What I have to endure now is walking through the gauntlet of smokers to enter/exit buildings, including where I work. At work this has had the effect of salary employees that smoke missing phone calls or not being available because they are outside many times during the work day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top