U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 04:24 PM

7 posts, read 20,662 times

Advertisements

Well my family may be relocating from NJ to Fort Lee Virginia. I need to know what high schools are the best in that area. We can go as far as 30 miles I would appreciate any help. My son is 14 so a town with lots of kids. He will be starting High School in September. He also plays football and wants to make sure the school has a great football program. I just dont want to live somewhere thats isolated. I would appreciate all the input I can get.
Thanks!

Last edited by carolynnj; 03-18-2007 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 07:15 PM

1,802 posts, read 5,639,757 times
Thomas Dale and LC Bird have pretty good football programs and aren't too far away (in Chesterfield County).

Old 03-19-2007, 06:48 AM

I heard chesterfield has a good reputation for schools. Is that a nice area ?
Thanks for the help

Old 03-19-2007, 12:01 PM

1,802 posts, read 5,639,757 times
Overall, Chesterfield has one of the top school systems in the state. It's a nice area with plenty of amenities. The schools I mentioned were in central Chesterfield more or less....They'd probably be the most accessible areas to Fort Lee from the county. The place "to be" so to speak is in western Chesterfield. Still there are definitely amenities in other areas of Chesterfield. I'd recommend a roadtrip to check out the area. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:23 PM

738 posts, read 3,558,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynnj View Post
I heard chesterfield has a good reputation for schools. Is that a nice area ?
Thanks for the help
I'd definately suggest looking into that area

and if you need furnature, let me know, my wife works in a furnature store down near there. (She also does interior design free if you shop at the store)

Old 03-21-2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks that helps out!

Old 03-21-2007, 03:33 PM

17 posts, read 46,115 times
I used to live in Chesterfield and worked in Fort Lee (for the Commissary Agency headquarters, which is located on the base there).

Fort Lee is close to Petersburg - which is not a nice place to live. Or even to be in after dark, for that matter. Very scary place.

Chesterfield is a very nice area. Very rural feel. Houses are not cheap, but you're used to that if you're moving from NJ. The market has settled a bit in the last few years (it was meteoric). So, that should be to your advantage.

Most of the nice shopping is on the West End of town in Glen Allen and Short Pump areas. But Chesterfield has some nice shopping, too. Schools are also very good in parts of Chesterfield. There are also some amazing parks in this area. Also, the Richmond zoo (which is actually in Chesterfield) is quite nice. You can hand feed Giraffes there.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:36 AM

Thats what we are waiting on my husband works at Fort Monmouth and is waiting for a transfer hopefully to Fort Lee. We are still up in the air. Thanks for your help!

Old 03-22-2007, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,936 times
as for football.... goochland has the best football teams at the moment... but for education all the schools are the same... henrico county would porlly be a good choice and its just a jump from chesterfeild not only are they good but all the kids from henrico county get laptops to help them with there studies and projects ect... good luck in finding one

Old 03-22-2007, 01:22 PM

thank you very much I appreciate the input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or