U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 02:57 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,226,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
Ehe...really.
I guess we all see things differently.
I live just outside Lynchburg and visit Richmond about 4 times a year. To me Lynchburg is much more southern.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Richmond just oozes Southern. Lynchburg is moderately Southern- its definitely more Southern than NOVA or Charlottesville

But Richmond is the epitome of the Old South.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 03:03 PM

506 posts, read 1,264,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Richmond just oozes Southern. Lynchburg is moderately Southern- its definitely more Southern than NOVA or Charlottesville

But Richmond is the epitome of the Old South.

I respect your opinion, but I find it the other way around.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:00 PM

7,673 posts, read 12,234,595 times
I'm actually wondering about Lynchburg. Is that a very authentic Southern city? I am a pharmacy student from Maryland and I have the option of doing an internship there for the summer and it would be good if i can experience a whole different world. Many parts of Maryland are quite southern like the Eastern Shore and some of the Baltimore suburbs (the more blue-collar ones though some also say they're more Midwestern) but not where I grew up in Montgomery County. Is the culture and lifestyle in Lynchburg completely different from the Baltimore-Washington area?

I've found that despite being from Montgomery County and Asian American I feel I fit in better in a small town because I am a laid-back person and a conservative Republican. I am considering moving south after graduation if I don't move to the Eastern Shore.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
I respect your opinion, but I find it the other way around.
Lynchburg is smaller and more provinicial minded. That doesnt make it more Southern...

Just look at Richmond:
Beautiful Richmond, Virginia Photo Gallery by Meade Skelton at pbase.com

Old 03-11-2009, 05:18 PM

290 posts, read 1,040,072 times
How do you all feel about Newport News?

Old 03-11-2009, 05:53 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,555,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
Newport News is cool/have family there. I use to visit Huntington Park

Old 03-11-2009, 06:24 PM

290 posts, read 1,040,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
Newport News is cool/have family there. I use to visit Huntington Park
lol..I didnt mean like that..I mean southern or what not..in comparison to other places in VA..

Old 03-11-2009, 06:47 PM

345 posts, read 752,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
I feel like Newport News is more Mid-Atlantic than Southern honestly. From the way people speak, to the culture, to the styles of the buildings/homes in newer sections of the city from midtown to Denbigh area. The older section such as downtown/eastend does have a small town feel to it. I have noticed the older residents tend to still have the tidewater accent more so than other areas, but the younger generation tends to have a strong NYC/Northern influence from gang affiliations to speech. I have friends from Richmond and Newport News who are drastically different. Richmond is much more southern in my opinion. I still believe smaller areas in southside/south central va such as Lynchburg, Danville, South Boston, and Roanoke are the most southern areas of the state.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,555,885 times
Imo, Hr and Richmond are about the same when compared to the rest of the U.S. In terms of Newport News to the rest of the state, the accents are mild to non-existent.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I feel like Newport News is more Mid-Atlantic than Southern honestly. From the way people speak, to the culture, to the styles of the buildings/homes in newer sections of the city from midtown to Denbigh area. The older section such as downtown/eastend does have a small town feel to it. I have noticed the older residents tend to still have the tidewater accent more so than other areas, but the younger generation tends to have a strong NYC/Northern influence from gang affiliations to speech. I have friends from Richmond and Newport News who are drastically different. Richmond is much more southern in my opinion. I still believe smaller areas in southside/south central va such as Lynchburg, Danville, South Boston, and Roanoke are the most southern areas of the state.
I dont like Newport News at all. But I wouldnt call it Mid-Atlantic. Its simply a military town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia