U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:00 PM

1,341 posts, read 5,635,035 times

Advertisements

Apparently us Roanokers like to eat

I'd just like to state for the record as a transplanted Yankee that I find it curious that there are nearly as many Mexican restaurants as there are churches in the Roanoke metro area Okay, so that's a stretch, but Mexican eateries are everywhere. Whattzupwidat

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 06:17 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,113,303 times
Lots of Hispanics coming to the valley for jobs. From Winchester to Roanoke. Most pick apples or peaches.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:55 PM

143 posts, read 699,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Williamsburg Area:

Season's/The Library- Casual
King's Arms Tavern- Formal Dining
The Whaling Company- Seafood
Pierce's BBQ- Fast Food
I agree with most of your list. I didn't think The Whaling Company was that good the last time I dined there, but perhaps I ordered the wrong stuff. What do you recommend? Also, I've never heard of Season's/The Library. Do you have a link to that restaurant?

I also like Riverwalk in Yorktown, but it's way too expensive. Good for those special occassions.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:08 PM

Actually, I got lost for Seafood. I meant to say Berret's. Yer right. The Whaling Company is seriously over priced and overrated.

Here's the Library Tavern site:
http://www.librarytavern.com/

Season's restaurant is suprisingly inexpensive. It looks very elegant for its price.
http://www.seasonsofwilliamsburg.com/

Old 03-20-2007, 11:14 PM

359 posts, read 1,696,800 times
In Wythe are of Hampton: Vancostas- locally owned greek restaurant, amazing greek salads ans authentic east coast pizza.

Newport News: Subway- NOT the chain. This place is across the street from Christopher Newport University and the old Ferguson Highschool building. Locally owned, been there about 30 years, hot subs.
On Warwick Blvd in Hilton there is an Ice Cream shop unlike any other. We go there every time we visit. THey have every kind of chess board you could ever imagine. and every kind of musical instrument. There is outdoor seating and locals are often there just chit-chatting, playing live music and chess.

Williamsburg: Pierce's Pit Barbecue. There aren't even words....
The Trellis- on Duke of Gloucester St. in colonial williamsburg- expensive, luxurious, worth every penny

Oh my, just typing out this list is making me want to head home again, lol

Old 03-22-2007, 12:03 PM

112 posts, read 727,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Williamsburg Area:

Season's/The Library- Casual
King's Arms Tavern- Formal Dining
The Whaling Company- Seafood
Pierce's BBQ- Fast Food
Completely agree w/ your list w/ the subsequent edit on seafood. Also you and some other posters have hit the nail on the head w/ votes for Strawberry Street Cafe', Il Porto, and Five Guys.

Does anyone know if 'The Farmhouse' is still there between Blacksburg and Christiansburg? Great food.

Maybe someday I could enjoy a special occasion meal at Inn at Little Washington; what is it now, about $250 per person w/ wine and gratuity? Still, it is the best. Some additions:

Tuscarora Mill, Leesburg (American contemporary)

Peking Gourmet, Bailey's Crossroads, Fairfax co. (Chinese) Best Peking duck ever and the most professional and attentive service I ever experienced in an ethnic restaurant.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:46 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,646,323 times
Tuscarora Mill, Leesburg very good.
Blue Ridge grill, Leesburg (great Filet migon without Ruth Chris price!)
Five Guys! we ate there on Sunday

Old 03-22-2007, 04:10 PM

When I was growing up in Leesburg we used to go to Georgetown Bakery a lot. It was really nice.

Its really sad the Virginia Kitchen on Contoctain Circle closed. They had great southern cooking. Now they turned it into some I-talian restaurant.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:39 PM

833 posts, read 4,449,689 times
Default Best restaurants

Hampton Roads

Norfolk:
Empire Bistro (funky little romantic tapas place) on Granby St.
Havanna (Cuban-American)

Chesapeake:
Spice of India

Portsmouth:
The Bier Garden (over 200 beers to choose from! But the food is so-so)

Old 03-23-2007, 09:13 AM

155 posts, read 879,119 times
Ashland

The Smoky Pig. MMMMMMMmmmmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or