U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-06-2009, 09:51 AM

208 posts, read 900,627 times

Advertisements

The bizzare thing about it all is 571/703 main influence was west coast style..........For some reason.....except PW county which people leaned more towards atlanta's style.....540, 434, and 804 leaned southern, 757= New York, how? why? when your how close to North Cackalakey, just doesnt make sense.....Im talking 10 years ago, I dont know what everyone is into nowa days...Plus that whole NY thing, I mean even cities out in the mid-west were of NY style bad in the 80's its not that out there to see the style shft south to richmond, we are on the same coastline allot of people move from NY to VA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 06:57 PM

4,683 posts, read 7,396,716 times
Mid-Atlantic is a recent designation that also includes Northeast states like New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Culturally I have heard the real Virginia, excluding NOVA, is Southern. I don't see how anyone can deny that Virginia is a Southern state when Richmond was the capital of the old Confederacy.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:33 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,097,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Mid-Atlantic is a recent designation that also includes Northeast states like New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Culturally I have heard the real Virginia, excluding NOVA, is Southern. I don't see how anyone can deny that Virginia is a Southern state when Richmond was the capital of the old Confederacy.
That was over 100 years ago

Old 03-08-2009, 12:23 AM

Yeah, I was always used to Virginia being a southern state, I consider myself a southerner, the state has usually been referred to as a southern state, but now and days it's starting to get more and more confusing Here is a couple of examples why.

"Standard Federal Regions"

Region I: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
Region II: New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands
Region III: Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia : THIS IS THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION.
Region IV: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
Region V: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin
Region VI: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma
Region VII: Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska
Region VIII: Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming
Region IX: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada (American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands)
Region X: Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Washington

The you have the

The EPA-- "Region 3: The Mid-Atlantic Region, Serving Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia".

The you have other things.......like trees......

They consider Virginia in the Mid-Atlantic region because of several species of oak, birch, maple, and hickory, that are found in Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York.

Deciduous Forests (http://www.scsc.k12.ar.us/2000backeast/ENatHist/Members/CovingtonN/Default.htm - broken link)

Old 03-08-2009, 12:26 AM

Personally I have more in common with people from Kentucky or West Virginia....But allot of people through out the state have allot in common with allot of people up north as well. Yes, the United Census calls VA a southern state, but everywhere else is starting to refer to the state as the Mid-Atlantic. I think AAA started this trend.....

Old 03-08-2009, 12:52 AM

And really it's almost like the South is a club anymore, it doesnít make much sense. Out of all the defined historical confederate states, Virginia is the most advanced, one of the wealthiest, and one of the fastest growing states. North Carolina is on par with Virginia, im already hearing NC being called a Mid-Atlantic state. So what you have money, advance in technology, jobs, everything and you what? Get kicked out of the southern states? I don't like to admit this but it's true, once in Lewisburg Tennessee a friendís family member called me a Yankee and im from where 2 confederate capitals were held? (I also felt like the smartest man alive in that area however ). Nobody ever seems to even think of Richmond or Danville when it comes to the whole civil war thing, people always seem to think of Charleston, Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans, Birmingham its never Virginia, s*it drives me nuts.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:20 AM

The climate is another thing that leans more southern, but throws me off because Virginia east of the Shenandoah Mountains has a humid subtropical climate. areas west of the Blue Ridge mountains have a humid continental temperature, and maritime temperature.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 AM

Then you have the "Federal Reserve" regions, which is even more confusing because they add not just North Carolina, but South Carolina, and rid of Pennsylvania.

Federal Reserve. Who is Federal Reserve? What is Federal Reserve? Where is Federal Reserve? Definition of Federal Reserve. Meaning of Federal Reserve.

You can prob tell ive though allot about this lol

Old 03-10-2009, 11:38 PM

83 posts, read 306,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Sometimes I wish the East Coast would take an example from the West Coast, and become unified, despite the differences they may share, instead of this "you're either North or South" crap.
I used to live on the West Coast and there is nothing unified about it, its just that people don't really care. Technically they are all in one Census region and it has always been that way, so even if they were unified they would not be a fair comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01va571 View Post
Im just saying it makes me feel kind of retarted living 1-2 hours away from Tennessee saying I live up north or Mid atlantic or whatever.
Virginia is also a few hours away from New York City.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hj2500 View Post
Virginia is also a few hours away from New York City.
Tennessee= 1 to 1 and a half, New York=8-9 hours. Thats a big difference in my opinion, from where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia