Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 AM

208 posts, read 1,217,574 times

Advertisements

Over the past few years I have heard Virginia referred to as the Mid-Atlantic instead of the classical title as a southern state. So that leaves me very confused, because in school I was told different. In history books, even geography wise it doesn’t add up and I will go through every part of this step by step to ensure that it is understood that Virginia is a southern state.

1st) The most simple and easy definition (besides a dictionary) for where a state is located in the United States would typically be from the United States Census Bureau, Which is (for those who don’t know) a government agency that is responsible for the United States census.

Here is a map of Regions in the United States.

So I know what many upon many of you people are saying look at a map, Virginia is smack dab in the center of the eastern seaboard. No, its not and I will thoroughly explain why it’s not.

The geographical center for the Contiguous US 48 states is Lebanon, Kansas. Mark that spot on a map and draw a line across, for Virginia only a couple counties is tipped by this line. So for the center of the Eastern Seaboard the very top of Virginia might work as Mid-Atlantic “Defined” but not the other 90% of the state.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

But even that is inaccurate because the actual center for the “ENTIRE” US is Butte County, South Dakota which rightfully places Virginia in the SOUTHEAST. Ok so now that I have explained in detail where the center exactly is, there can’t be an argument geographically.

Now let’s look at ancestry, shall we?

Does anyone notice a sort of pattern in ancestry? There is reason behind that which I should have no need to explain.

Then you have the Cotton-Belt, which is a term for a particular region in the states when cotton was the predominant cash crop from the late 18th century into the 20th century. The Cotton Belt extended from Virginia to eastern Texas.

And Virginia has a humid subtropical climate, here is a map of the states or area’s in the US that this appies to.

Really this is stupid, Virginia is the top of the south, why doesn’t Kentucky get as much crap about this? There practically surrounded by midwest states, Virginia is surrounded by definition, Southern States.

The Mason-Dixon Line starts at Maryland, Richmond was the capital of confederacy, then Danville Virginia. So historically if you think Virginia was fighting for the North your a complete jack***.

Accent is another factor, Virginia Piedmont dialect had a strong influence on the South's speech patterns. Explain right? Here we go, Virginia Piedmont is non-rhotic, meaning speakers pronounce "R" only if it is followed by a vowel. The dialect also features the Southern draw.

Coastal Southern resembles Virginia Piedmont but has preserved more elements from the colonial era dialect than almost any other region of the United States. It can be found along the coasts of the Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia. It is most prevalent in the Charleston, South Carolina area. In addition, like Virginia Piedmont, Coastal Southern is non-rhotic.

Last edited by Yac; 03-16-2009 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 AM

Default Extra

To add to the maddness, look at where the FBI classifies Virginia.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/images/content_images/07regcrimeratefig.gif (broken link)

Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 AM

542 posts, read 1,498,697 times
Good Lord.

Virginia is changing. Much like every other state. The Southern past will always be there, but it's changing.

I've always thought of Virginia as the Mid Atlantic. That should be taken with pride, not an insult. Mid Atlantic in culture means a place where both Northern & Southern cultures have a significant impact on a state. That doesn't mean there's no Southern traits in Virginia. Just that for every Southern trait, there's a Northern one to even it out. What's so wrong with that?

Sometimes I wish the East Coast would take an example from the West Coast, and become unified, despite the differences they may share, instead of this "you're either North or South" crap.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:38 AM

28 posts, read 125,127 times
Sounds like vasinger came up with another s/n.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 AM

What?

Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
Sometimes I wish the East Coast would take an example from the West Coast, and become unified, despite the differences they may share, instead of this "you're either North or South" crap.
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01va571 View Post
But even that is inaccurate because the actual center for the “ENTIRE” US is Butte County, South Dakota which rightfully places Virginia in the SOUTHEAST. Ok so now that I have explained in detail where the center exactly is, there can’t be an argument geographically.
If that's the case, 90% of the U.S. is 'southern'!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 PM

"Sometimes I wish the East Coast would take an example from the West Coast, and become unified, despite the differences they may share, instead of this "you're either North or South" crap."

Good lord if South Carolina had to become associated with New York they would have the highest suicide rate in the nation. LOL

Old 02-26-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
Amen!

If that's the case, 90% of the U.S. is 'southern'!
Well, technically yes. If you went by the entire US.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,745 times
Why does it matter whether Virginia is considered Mid-Atlantic or Southern or whatever label one comes up with? Why not let Virginia be Virginia?

Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Why does it matter whether Virginia is considered Mid-Atlantic or Southern or whatever label one comes up with? Why not let Virginia be Virginia?
Ok I honestly don't care that much, I just think its bizzare that I was always taught we were a southern state and now it's bieng more refered to as the Mid-Atlantic. The country of Virginia sounds allot better.

Im just saying it makes me feel kind of retarted living 1-2 hours away from Tennessee saying I live up north or Mid atlantic or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia